Author Topic: Woodchip Boilers  (Read 4657 times)

adobejoe

Woodchip Boilers
« on: January 27, 2008, 08:21:11 PM »
Anyone familiar with using woodchip as fuel source for boilers in radiant heat systems. Wood Doctor and Wood Master seem to be log fed.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 08:21:11 PM by (unknown) »

elvin1949

Re: Woodchip Boilers
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 01:53:46 AM »
adobejoe

I don't know anything about them BUT that said.

I have been told [by my brother-in-law]that he saw a corn stove running on wood chips.

I would think that if the chips were DRY and the

stove was auger fed it might would work.

Take with a grain of salt.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 01:53:46 AM by elvin1949 »

TimV

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 08:56:59 AM »
The State of Vermont has info on "biomass" many schools in Vt are heated now with woodchips. The place you want to start looking is on the Forstry divisons website they publish a monthly bulletin and it has a place to order a lot of detailed info on wood and woodchip burning.

New Hampshire has several new large biomass power stations beeing built creating huge markets for wood waste.

I personally installed a central wood furnace and am totally happy with it and I have an option to burn coal(anthricite), which is nothing like bituminious with no smoke and very low sulpher contenet .

I opted out on an outside wood boiler because what they dont tell you is they burn almost twice as much as a furnace or stove and are prone to corrosion from wet wood smoke(friend owns welding shop)

I once saw a fellow burn woodchips in a (3/8" x 1.5" x 2") from a sawmill in an oldfashion box stove by injecting forced air with a bathroom exhaust fan for a few minutes to get it burning and it worked .  

Burning chips is the real deal but you need to be equiped to do it. Pellet stoves,corn stoves etc. are basicly same idea just adapted to different characteristics of material burnt.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:56:59 AM by TimV »

walsdos

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 05:59:10 PM »
adobejoe

Google Hernironworks. they have lots of choice

Regards

Walsdos
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 05:59:10 PM by walsdos »

34PatentAcres

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 05:27:35 PM »
Try messerschmitt wood chip burners. They are larger units and component derived but I saw one used fr heating a motel here in the northwoods.  toasty warm radiators throughout. Chips bought from local moulding company were cheap and the system took very little supervision.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 05:27:35 PM by 34PatentAcres »