Author Topic: Burning natural gas furnace on propane?  (Read 19762 times)

ArmedAndDangerous

Burning natural gas furnace on propane?
« on: February 16, 2008, 08:55:04 AM »
I have a natural gas forced air heater and water heater. They both make mention of a propane conversion "kit" that can be purchased, but what I'm wondering is, can they be run on propane as is in an emergency? The gas lines would be easy to unhook and hookup to a propane tank...would that be possible, or safe, in the rare event that the natural gas service may go out?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 08:55:04 AM by (unknown) »

PaulJ

Re: Burning natural gas furnace on propane?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 03:25:07 AM »
   Not safe, you'll probably blow yourself up or burn down the house because the air/fuel mix will be way off.

The conversion kit probably includes smaller (I think) jets for propane.

Paul.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 03:25:07 AM by PaulJ »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 04:07:40 AM »
If you really know what you are doing and you reduce the propane to the same pressure as the natural gas it may work well enough.

Unless you really know what you are up to the take Paul's advice, with a high pressure propane regulator you will have flames everywhere. The natural gas only works at a few inches water gauge and most propane regulators are about 30 psi.

Nobody here is going to take the risk to tell you to do it but with sufficient knowledge it would be possible.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 04:07:40 AM by Flux »

southpaw

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 05:34:13 AM »
Armed and Dangerous

Any attempt to operate a natural gas appliance on propane without installing and properly adjusting an approved conversion kit would be life threatening.

Large amounts of soot and carbon monoxide are the normal results of doing this.

Propane appliances (other than camping and construction equipment) usually operate on gas pressures of 11" w.c. (about 6 oz.) natural gas appliances on about 3" w.c.(2 oz.)

the natural gas orifices are much larger because of the lower pressures, but merely changing to smaller orifices won't suffice as most gas controls have internal pressure regulators which have to be replaced or adjusted.

A few appliance manufacturers have found that their appliances also require a redesigned burner to operate safely on propane.

Under the risk of freezing to death it might be an option but Falling asleep might mean never waking up.

Southpaw  

« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 05:34:13 AM by southpaw »

jacobs

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 06:35:53 AM »
The Colorado Department of Transportation has a "propane backup" for the Eisenhower tunnel on Interstate 70 in the event of a natural gas interruption. I'm not sure how it's done but if you are serious about this, I'd start asking propane suppliers and distributers. It can be done safely but it may be expensive.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 06:35:53 AM by jacobs »