Author Topic: Check out This Old House  (Read 5827 times)

whatsnext

Check out This Old House
« on: August 26, 2006, 05:57:15 PM »
This week's this old house has a special feature that details new developements in low energy housing. There is aparently a low energy housing show in Washington DC and Norm and the guys are covering it. Very cool stuff and a lot of neat ideas for DIYers. I'm sure there is either a way to link to TOH or just find a link to the goverment sponsored show in DC. Well worth the 20 minute watch IMO.

John.......
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 05:57:15 PM by (unknown) »

lohearth

Re: Check out This Old House
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 04:10:49 PM »

there is another show that should be of interest:

While renegotiating doing another season of "Survivorman<sup>TM</sup>", Les Stroud is producing two one-hour specials for Canada's OLN (Outdoor Life Network) called "Stroud... Off The Grid". This new and captivating show will highlight Les' family's move to their 150 acre bush lot with solar power, rain harvesting systems, and many new technologies for living an energy-conscious and self-sustaining life. "Stroud...Off the Grid" episode 1 will premiere in Fall 2006.

Hope it has some useful info

Lohearth

« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 04:10:49 PM by lohearth »

whatsnext

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 05:03:46 PM »
I did a little digging and it turns out the interesting part of the show was the report on the Solar Decathlon and it occured in 2005 so it might be old news to some. The goverment sponsored home page is not even slightly dial up friendly so googling the Solar Decathlon and then finding the teams home sites is probably to way to go. The next decathlon is in the fall of 2007.

John......
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 05:03:46 PM by whatsnext »

jmk

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 08:28:29 AM »
 I saw two episodes of ( Back To The Blue Print ). It's a show on the History Channel. They are restoring an eighteen hundred's era wind engine. This thing is an impressive four rotor 10,000 lb machine that sits on top of an old historic grain mill. The machine has two rotors that are 30 feet in diameter. They are set up parallel to each other like two sides of a fairis wheel. they are connected with spider gears. They spin opposite of each other. There must be about a thousand blades about two inches apart from each other. The other two rotors are ten foot in diameter that are perpendicular to the larger rotors. They sit in between at the outer diameter of the large rotors. They have a shaft that goes back to a worm gear that spins the main axle of the larger rotors. When the smaller rotors catch wind they make the whole machine turn into the wind with the worm gear. There has to be another episode because they still have to put it up on the mill yet. The name of the co. that made the wind mill was the (Challenge Wind Mill And Mill Co. of Batavia, Illinois.) Challengehistory2 I was searching for a goggle picture of it but all I could find was the history of the Co.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 08:28:29 AM by jmk »

jmk

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 08:31:15 AM »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 08:31:15 AM by jmk »

txrider

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:12:18 AM »
Here's your mill.

Impressive to say the least...

http://hardenfoundation.org/windmill.htm