Author Topic: Possibly a very stupid question...  (Read 1432 times)

Drumheller

Possibly a very stupid question...
« on: February 11, 2005, 03:27:32 PM »
Hi All,

I am really new to the concept of hydroelectricity, and I'm not that bright on regular electricity either. Anyway, my question is about water pumps for those large decorative fountains. Can you reverse the water flow through one of these to create a current? It would seem to be a good idea. The entire unit is self contained and waterproof. I have seen some that were rated for Ten to Twenty gallons per minute depending on the height of the fountain. This would require a fair amount of power to do and therefore if you were to set on up to run in reverse in a quick flowing stream/brook/river, would it not in turn produce a fair amount of power? Or at least could it be converted to do so?

Thanks in advance, and I hope I haven't offended anyone with my ignorance.

Drum

« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 03:27:32 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Possibly a very stupid question...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 09:31:44 AM »
Well designed centrifugal pumps will run as turbines and can be used as generators.

I am not sure if the cheap low head pump you are referring to will be efficient enough to run backwards and produce significant power. Many small pumps have a very small rotor with no real way to prevent back leakage and are unlikely to be effective when run backwards.

With all things the efficiency goes down in small sizes so perhaps it's try it and see.

Flux

« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 09:31:44 AM by Flux »

Nando

Re: Possibly a very stupid question...
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 09:00:26 PM »
The pumps can work as turbines BUT the propeller needs to be "reversed" buy grinding the blades to the proper shape.

Nando

« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 09:00:26 PM by Nando »