Author Topic: Secondary load site for HV1200 turbine  (Read 1382 times)

mojisimo

Secondary load site for HV1200 turbine
« on: January 15, 2006, 06:04:28 PM »
Hi I am working with Mike installing a microhydro system at Turtle Island and have a question. We are using a high voltage High Induction Power machine that will give us 480 volt three phase AC. The power run is going to be transmitted 2200'. But the owner has recently expresses a desire to have power at the turbine site as well.

My question is, with the machine we have, is it possible to step down that 480 voltage (to 110 V) at the site with a small inverter (or a transformer) and use that power for hot water and light? Any suggestions for a small inverter?

It is my understanding that if we do this, then anytime there is no load at the turbine site, the power would just transmit to the site at 2200'. When there is a load present at the turbine, it will just pull of that power going 2200'.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 06:04:28 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Secondary load site for HV1200 turbine
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 01:08:51 PM »
 I don't see any problem using a single phase transformer for light, but if you take enough power for hot water you should spread the load around the 3 phases and that would need a 3 phase transformer or at least 2 and preferably 3 single phase ones.

It all depends on the percentage your load is of the full alternator rating. If more than 20% full load you should consider loading it 3 phase, depending on the type of alternator and how it behaves with single phase loads.

Flux

« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 01:08:51 PM by Flux »