Author Topic: Trolling motor with Pelton wheel  (Read 5496 times)

northrun

Trolling motor with Pelton wheel
« on: February 02, 2007, 01:13:59 PM »
I've been lurking a bit here after getting interested in microhydro for a work project.  We need to power a water treatment station that feeds powdered flocculant into a channel.  It's an 80 W screw feeder (max draw if running flat out, normal draw is probably 20 to 40 watts) that runs on 120 V.  We only need to run the feeder if the water is muddy.  The best part about the setup is that we have the channel right there, and the higher the flow, the more likely we are to have to apply flocculant, and the more potential for power there is.

Head is 13 m over ~60 m linear distance, with a flow of 5 L/sec to ~15 L/sec.  Or I can get 20 m of head by going ~150 m distance.  I have looked at commercial setups like the Stream Engine, but these are too pricey to compete with the alternatives (it's a good site for an Air-X 400 W wind turbine, or I am thinking of a Honda EU1000i generator converted to propane).   A simple DIY project that could generate the modest amount of power I would need to recharge a battery bank/inverter setup would be great.  Plus I would get to tinker on company time!

Has anyone tried a small store bought Pelton Wheel on a trolling motor?  Looks easy - motor is already weatherproof and wired up.  Any other suggestions for a relatively easy low power setup?

« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 01:13:59 PM by (unknown) »

Slingshot

Re: Trolling motor with Pelton wheel
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 07:47:07 AM »
Be sure that your trolling motor is direct-wired back to the battery cables.  Older motors would basically accomplish this by setting the switch to "high", but many newer trolling motors use continuously-variable speed controls that may not pass the current properly in reverse.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 07:47:07 AM by Slingshot »

Nando

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 12:29:35 PM »
Where are you located ?.

NO, NO trolling motor, do not make that mistake.

5 l/sec * 13 m * 9.81 = 637 GROSS WATTS, you may get around 300 NET watts

Get a small Turgo turbine at www.h-hydro.com and talk to Joe Hartvigsen @ joe@h-hydro.com and he will give you the best arrangement for your site.

4 inch pipe, sewer type will do ( lower cost) and a Brushless motor or a small single phase induction motor converted to the a induction generator producing the AC 120 Volts.

All well below 800 dollars, producing a lot of more power than a wind mill or the continuous expense of propane for the engine

And if you use the 20 meters and the 15 l/s you can get

20 * 15 * 9.981 = 2.943 KW GROSS Power and about 1.5 to 1.8 KW after the generator.

If you can use the additional power for anything else.

If you need assistance write to me directly.

Correct the address to remove the anti-spam

Nando

« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 12:29:35 PM by Nando »

northrun

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 07:09:15 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  I am in northern British Columbia, Canada.  A few questions:

You recommended not to use a trolling motor - is this because I would not get very much power out of it?

If I bought a DC brushless motor, what would I look for?  A website like www.anaheimautomation.com has a large selection.  Do I select a 12 volt one?  What about the wattage?  RPM of the motor must be within the RPM range of the wheel, I am thinking.  Other than a diode on the line, what additions or modifications would I need?

The 4" sewer pipe - is this for the waterline from the top of the creek?  This sounds large.  Or is it for the housing of the turgo?

« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 07:09:15 AM by northrun »

Gordy

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 01:32:46 PM »
Northrun,

Trolling motors are most commonly 12 v to run, So you would have to spin it above it's rated rpm's to get 12v out and faster to get up to charging voltage, assuming of coarse it's a pm type motor.

Look for motors with higher voltages and low rpm rating's.

1. " pipe is better than smaller pipe for 2 resones, (yes waterline)
  2.  smaller pipe will have more restriction to the water flow,
  3.  smaller pipe holds less water ='s less weight putting pressure to the nozzle and less volume of water to the nozzle.

Gordy
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 01:32:46 PM by Gordy »

Lurker 417

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 08:15:32 PM »
With a couple of trolling motors gathering dust in the attic of my garage, I have thought about trying to put them to work making power. The ones I have had apart seem to be very well built, and of course they are tightly sealed, or they would last no time as trolling motors. The main problem I can see, though, is they are designed to run fully submerged at all times. This provides excellent cooling, so I wonder how long they would last in open air use, either as motors or generators. Hmmm. Maybe some big fins. Polished aluminum ones. Yeah, that would look cool, anyway.

Oh well, I'll probably just fix the boat, and go fishing.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 08:15:32 PM by Lurker 417 »

northrun

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 05:24:24 PM »
A look on Ebay found some possibilities:

-AMETEK 4" Permanent Magnet DC Motor Generator 40VDC

Nominal voltage 40 VDC  

• 12/24 VDC
  • No load amps 0.55
  • Shaft 5/8" diameter. x 2.0" long
  • 4" diameter. x 4 7/8" long
  • 1050 RPM @ 40 VDC

-Japan Servo 55 VDC motor generator. Model number DM82B16D-1 (not much more detail)

-Indiana 36VDC, 1125 RPM, 1.0 A

-130 VDC treadmill motor, 2.5 HP, 6750 RPM, 18.5 A

All in the $50 range - any preferences for my project?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 05:24:24 PM by northrun »