Author Topic: 24 Volt Lighting  (Read 2711 times)

crashk6

24 Volt Lighting
« on: September 12, 2005, 12:25:03 AM »
My apologies for making an individual post with this but... when I attempted to comment  on the post "new bee here ? on lighting"... I had no why to do so (had the post been closed to further comment?)

Anyway... the two whom commented had it right when they said all the details on wiring/geny size etc.. can be searched on this board.But I would like to add a tid-bit or two of info in regards to the lighting aspect (this is the lighting section after all). I know of a lighting manufacture that distributes a 24 volt CFL's which I must tell you is a hard one to come by! They also produce 12 Volt CFL's to complent that type of system and it's respective appliances. (they target RE users)

I'm sorry the only 48 volt lighting I know of is incandescent or requires custom (expensive) ballasts.

As far as system cost/efficiency for 24 volt lighting... I find only a hand full of applications for 24volt lighting when I do an RE install... but the most practical is in a system that utilizes 24 volt to help negate line loss from your genny/panels etc.. to then uses 24 volt lighting. In most cases like this where it is desirable to run the inverter only for loads (eg all your household outlets are 120volt just like a "normal" house.) but still have lighting when it's not on, then 24 volt CFL's are a smashing solution.

There cost is about the same as there 12 volt counterpart (which of course is more expensive than the 120 volt model) and have the very same Edison base that any household lightbulb screws into, so STANDARD lamps and light fixtures may be used with no cost increase to the system other than the bulbs.

I stress I'm not affiliated with this company but have used a total of 16 of their bulbs in a small system I installed and was impressed with the output/quality...

http://www.naturallighting.com/

There phone and fax is on the site, Just specify you want a 24 volt ballasted CFL and they will be happy to accommodate you. (They might be willing to do 48 but I never ask.)

--

crashK6

« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 12:25:03 AM by (unknown) »

Clifford

Re: 24 Volt Lighting
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 08:44:35 PM »
I looked on their web page.....

I guess NaturalLighting doesn't list all of their DC products.

For 12V lighting,

The best source I've found is a guy up in Canada that is selling 12V CFLs on E-Bay.

glenmacgillivray

Glenergy Solar Lighting and Power

http://stores.ebay.com/id=216724803?ssPageName=L2

I got a bunch of his 3W and 5W - 12V CFL bulbs, and have been quite happy with them.  Of course, like everything else in the world, they are made in China.

---- Clifford ------

« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 08:44:35 PM by Clifford »