Remote Living > Lighting

New 120VAC LEDs

<< < (2/6) > >>

Norm:
Exactly.....

( :>) Norm.

drdongle:
The price will drop as they become more popular.........

ghurd:
Or until you get to the part about only 32 lumens per watt.
BTW, I saw some that looked like Norm's at Lowe's.  I think they were 110VAC, but they may have been 12VDC for track lighting. $18?  

Not very impressive, except for a reasonable attempt at a consumer product.  They didn't seem overdriven.  Hard to tell when standing under 10,000 watts of bulbs.
If Lowe's has something, and better ones are on the way... It shouldn't be a whole lot longer before a decent unit shows up with a good price.

G-

JamesJackson:
...or in quantity. The 100+ piece price at Mouser is only 18.85 each (AW2211) or 13.56 each (AW2214). Granted, one needs to buy 100 (or more) to get this price, but the price is a lot less in quantity.
As mentioned - this is the initial pricing on these parts. As they become more popular, I would expect this price to drop a bit.
One thing to keep in mind, while the initial price seems high, you need to keep in mind that this may not be too bad when you consider that you are not adding external circuitry to drive them. Pretty much all you have to do is add a zip cord and a switch, plug it in to the 120 Volt AC wall outlet and viola! instant light. (A heatsink might also help to add to their lifespan.)
Oh well. I can see applications that can use this. I also can see that HOW they are doing this can be applied to other low-voltage DC LEDs.
Regards,
James Jackson

Oztronics

Bruce S:
James;

The comments have disabled in the updated post.

Thanks for the info. I digging there is another PN AW2214, this comes as a single emitter and has connectors all for a $1.00 less. It shows 84 in stock , so hopefully there won't be a rush on these until I can scare a few pennies to try one out.
Now that you have one up and working , can you give some details on the light output.

Not the Lumens or any of that, just it's real world use as far as lighting a room or hallway or it's ability to be dimmed without burning up the dimmer?

My working with LEDs are due to their ability to be dimmed , unlike CFLs which need special expensive dimmers.
With the beam angle at 10 degrees and the viewing angle at 110+ , I can see these being good for task lighting in say a kitchen without added heat. Try using halogens or regular bulbs around pricey chocolate, not good, and CFLs can't seem to handle the humidity or oily fumes.

I have been saving the MR16 containers from our burnt out units here at work, it'll be interesting to see how well these work out in there.
Thanks again

Bruce S

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version