Author Topic: Solidity  (Read 4030 times)

Capt Slog

Solidity
« on: July 16, 2007, 09:41:57 AM »
I've seen this term used a couple of times recently, once in relation to my own turbine blades (Flux).

I think I know what it means, but I don't know the implications of it.

Can someone explain please?

Thanks you.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 09:41:57 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Solidity
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 07:30:40 AM »
Yes, knowing what it is is the easy bit. It is % of the swept area actually occupied by the area of blades. High solidity would be a wind pump where the whole area is covered with blades. A low solidity would be like an AirX with narrow blades that only occupy a tiny part of the swept area.

High solidity rotors produce high torque but operate at low speed. At higher speed the next blade gets caught up in the wake of the first and the thing becomes inefficient, they have little tendency to over speed.

Low solidity rotors can capture the same power, but with low torque and high speed. The next blade is so far behind the first that the thing can run at a much higher speed without interference from the wake of the previous blade.

For pumping a high torque and self regulating speed characteristics are ideal for making use of low winds and still surviving high winds.

For electrical generation high solidity rotors need large speed increasing transmissions and are not cost effective compared with higher speed lower solidity rotors.

A high solidity rotor may have a tsr of perhaps 2 whereas the fastest rotors with tsr of 10 or more will need very narrow blades and a low blade count. A general compromise is for a tsr of about 5 to 7 which works out at a reasonable chord width for 3 blades.

The optimum tsr is influenced by the angle of attack as well as the solidity and for good results you need to get both factors about right.

Flux

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 07:30:40 AM by Flux »

Capt Slog

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 08:50:08 AM »
Thank you.

I understand now.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 08:50:08 AM by Capt Slog »

pepa

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 10:32:30 AM »
Capt.Slog, this is one of my attempts to to speed up a high solidity set of blades in my low wind area. i replaced two of the ten foot blades with two twenty foots to get past the wake effect on a the eight ten foot sails and add swept area to the mill. the rpms did improve but the ten foot mill i had the blades on was two small to handle the load and it would not furl as it should. i will try again sometime with a larger mill, better blades, a balanced tail and yaw bearing. the combination blade set does have a lot of torke for starting in low wind. the ten foot machine does good with a regular three sail set but i like to experimwnt with different set ups.

haveing a good time pepa.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 10:32:30 AM by pepa »

thefinis

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 05:00:09 PM »
Flux that is one of the best and easiest to understand explanations I have seen.

Finis

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 05:00:09 PM by thefinis »

vawtman

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 06:33:13 PM »
Hi Capt

Flux did a great job of explaining the subject.

If one builds a turbine with high solidity he also needs to design a larger(pole wise) alternator to match the load.Or deal with the dreadfull gearing losses.

More or less.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 06:33:13 PM by vawtman »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 12:34:39 PM »
And if you crunch enough numbers, you can also see solidity affect the Cp (the percentage of wind power that is actually captured by the rotor).  I have specifically designed the hub of my latest mill to allow 4 or 3 blades.  By directly changing the solidity, I can change the RPM and Cp.  It doubles my chances of matching the rotor and generator speed curves, which are pretty vague at this early stage.

This graph may have come from Hugh Piggott (maybe not, I can't remember).

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 12:34:39 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

finnsawyer

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 08:08:12 AM »
I was wondering how long it would be before someone slid this solidity idea over into it affecting performance.  As usual, we see a graph presented with no explanation of how it is derived.  Done right, there should be no effect on performance in going from three blades to four, as one would keep the total blade width constant in order to keep the total lift and output power the same with the same TSR.  This means that even though the blades come around more often, with the blades being narrower as well as thinner, the incident air will still be able to remove the wake as before.  What you seem to propose is simply adding one more blade identical to the others, which will affect performance.  It will only help in the case where the original blades are too narrow to start with.  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 08:08:12 AM by finnsawyer »