Author Topic: Wind speed reducing VAWT - which design to use?  (Read 1217 times)

amiklic1

Wind speed reducing VAWT - which design to use?
« on: January 31, 2010, 02:40:02 PM »
Hello. I'm back here after more than a year.

I'm doing some research about road protection systems, and I found out that noone is making (at least I haven't see any) roadside high-winds protection based on VAWTs.

I think that drag-based system would reduce the wind speed enough, and also some power could be generated.

In my area, high winds often cause even road blocks (150 km/h wind), and that could possibly be prevented by using a line or even few rows of VAWTs of enough height and width.

While turning, VAWTs are reducing the speed of wind that's passing trough them, and are also deflecting the strong wind gusts by breaking it to many turbulent directions.

I tried to find some source and to see how wind speed reduces by passing to different wind turbine designs, but with no success.

Basic idea was to try Savonius design. Also, a modular design could be used, to allow multiple rows and heights of same modules, to allow for easier production and installation/transport.

I'd like to note that these are just theoretical calculations I'm doing in my free time, not commercial or business use...

Anybody knows more about this? Where to start?

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 02:40:02 PM by (unknown) »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: Wind speed reducing VAWT
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 05:22:13 AM »
that's an interesting idea amiklic.

around here, each winter, heavy drifting and white outs occur at  predictable sections of the highway.

if bright lights could be powered by the wind to act as a guide through those sections it could reduce acidents.

it has been said that the ideal speed for a drag type mill is 1/3 of wind speed.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 05:22:13 AM by electrondady1 »