Author Topic: Board wierd behavior fix  (Read 4704 times)

(unknown)

Board wierd behavior fix
« on: January 17, 2005, 06:32:13 PM »
I've traced this bug down to database tweaks we made to improve the board's performance, so it wouldn't slow to a crawl during heavy use (like when we get slashdotted).

Problem synopsis:

If you log in successfully, read a story (or try to post or comment, or anything), you hit "front page" or any section page again, and it makes you log in again or gives you "permission denied" if you are trying to post...it's losing your user permissions. Makes it hell to try and post. Then, the problem suddenly fixes itself.

From here, on 3 different browsers, if you log in and immediately click "User Preferences" that problem will fix itself and you won't have to keep logging in. I have no idea why, but I just made 3 new user accounts from here, all had the bug in them, and all fixed themselves after going to "user preferences".

Obviously this is a big bug--but at least for now this is a workaround. I've set new users to display User Prefs on first login, and am testing to see if that will at least help new users. We are getting a large volume of email from users because of this problem, and I am trying desparately to keep up with them and still do my job (this board is only supposed to be 10% of my workload, and it is at 99% right now ;~)

Still no luck on why comments don't appear if you are not logged in.

Any other user comments on these bugs appreciated, especially to see if this workaround fix works for you!

ADMIN

(that's Dan F, who is getting very grouchy and stressed about these problems)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 06:32:13 PM by (unknown) »

test2

Re: Is not working......
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 11:48:52 AM »
Damn! Tried it on a new account that had the bug, and it didnt' work.

ADMIN

« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 11:48:52 AM by test2 »

test2

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 11:50:26 AM »
Now that I posted a comment from this new account, it works fine.

DANF
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 11:50:26 AM by test2 »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 12:02:02 PM »
Dan;

Well i was concerned about the meat cleaver approach to the modification that was done previously.

I have been seeing lots of weird behavior that didnt exist before that butchering of the server.

Just the view from here.

Lost a great feature and tossed in some bugs near as i can tell.

Anyway good luck with it.

T

« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 12:02:02 PM by TomW »

test3

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005, 12:07:45 PM »
I setup another account, it now goes to user prefs first thing, and the bug did not appear....working fine.

Hmmmmmmm.

ADMIN
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 12:07:45 PM by test3 »

baggo

Re: Board wierd behavior fix
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 12:14:24 PM »
Hi Dan,

I've cured my own particular problem i.e. not being able to read comments unless logged in by changing the display setting from nested to flat. I've never noticed what it was originally set to so not sure if I might have accidentally changed it without realising. Works fine now though. Good luck with the other problems!

John

« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 12:14:24 PM by baggo »

danbob88

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 12:36:17 PM »
We know about that one...it's #2 onthe list of stuff to fix :-(

ADMIN
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 12:36:17 PM by danbob88 »

danbob88

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 12:39:57 PM »
Huh, with this account it worked fine from the setup and did not cause the bug.

ADMIN
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 12:39:57 PM by danbob88 »

nothing to lose

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 02:01:55 PM »
I don't think I have had the problem that was mentioned here (so far) but a few minutes ago I tried to post a message and I would just get an apache error port 80 type message, alittle text on a blank screen. Clicking back a few times got me to the front page again but would not let me into the messages I clicked to read, just sat dead.

Haven't done anything else and now I try it and if this message DOES post then for now it works again here.

That was using fire fox.

Also I tried EI and just got a Fedora Core test page

"This page is used to test the proper operation of the Apache HTTP server after it has been installed. If you can read this page, it means that the Apache HTTP server installed at this site is working properly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are a member of the general public:

The fact that you are seeing this page indicates that the website you just visited is either experiencing problems, or is undergoing routine maintenance."

Huh maybe it was down and you were working on it :)

Thought I'd mention it anyway just in case it shouldn't have been.

Also I have been having alot of problems myself recently (week or more) that clicking a link just doesn't do anything. Little Icon lights in the task bar flash once or twice when I click to read or reply or post a message, then they stop and nothing happens. Sometimes after about the 3rd or 4rth time I get the page/link to work.  Hadn't mentioned it before since I thought it could be my side having a problem. Either Firefox or with my dialup, but other sites do not seem to be having that problem, or at least not nearly as bad since I haven't noticed them.

When that happens I don't get any errors, just nothing ever happens, just like not clicking anything at all.

Good luck, Love the board, hope you can fix it!

« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 02:01:55 PM by nothing to lose »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 02:30:16 PM »
works fine 4 me.................

mozilla....
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 02:30:16 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

pyrocasto

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 05:20:17 PM »
Only thing I cant figure out is I will post something, then I go back and check and it didnt post. So I have to write it over again.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 05:20:17 PM by pyrocasto »

Epower

• Match-ett Science 4 All
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 06:44:20 PM »
This is not in my field, but The problem started on th 15th or 16th. All recent post are having this problem but not the older post. All surfers outside of this membership will encounter this problem. To me there is a link missing to the comments section. I hope this helps...Epower
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 06:44:20 PM by Epower »

ibedonc

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 08:01:54 PM »
seeing if it works for me
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 08:01:54 PM by ibedonc »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 11:17:57 PM »
 The only weird thing that's happining to me is ,  sometimes the pictures don't load, just the text shows with little broken picture boxes wher all the pictures should be. If I right-click and choose 'View Image' I get a green screen that says the picture is not on Otherpower.com

The other problem is with the WonderMagnet site. Every page on the WonderMagnet site has a link to This Discussion Board, The mainpage has several links to this board.

But ALL those links are Broken. It says something about not able to find magnets.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 11:17:57 PM by wooferhound »

PaulJ

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2005, 04:50:37 AM »
   I hate adding to your problems, but recent comments I've already read are still showing up with the red [new] tag, even if I log out and in again.

Postings seem ok, they don't show up new once I've read them.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

Good luck + don't get too stressed!

Paul

« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 04:50:37 AM by PaulJ »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2005, 08:13:07 PM »
I hate adding to your problems, but recent comments I've already read are still showing up with the red [new] tag, even if I log out and in again.

I was seeing that too (under Mozilla 1.5).  Hit preferences, saved them unchanged, then went back and reloaded the front page.  All fixed.

Perhaps all these troubles have a single cause.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 08:13:07 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

rpcancun

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 12:29:42 PM »
It seems there are now 2 RP's on this system.....can it be fixed??

Re: Salvaging Magnet Wire from Large Motors (3.00 / 0) (#11)

by RP (russp located-at fidnet (dot) com) on Tue May 2nd, 2006 at 07:57:44 PM MST

(User Info)  

Thats not me....

« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 12:29:42 PM by rpcancun »