Author Topic: wide posts  (Read 492 times)

kell

wide posts
« on: November 20, 2004, 03:32:13 PM »
People will continue posting big fat photos, so...

A suggestion in the spirit of making it easier for everybody

to read the wide posts:

On these posts that are two or three times the width of the

computer screen, simply use the Enter

key to wrap lines of text so the reader doesn't have to

take lots of time scrolling back and forth for every line

read.

It takes so much longer to read that I simply skip them much

of the time.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 03:32:13 PM by (unknown) »

jimjjnn

Re: wide posts
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 03:48:40 PM »
I have to skip those posts also. I tried the back and forth thing with the left and right arrow keys but it is  a hassle so I have stopped trying to read those posts.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 03:48:40 PM by jimjjnn »

picmacmillan

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 03:50:02 PM »
thanks kell....i am guilty of making my stuff too wide....especially my pictures....i am new at it but i will try what you said....any idea how to get my pictures smaller?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 03:50:02 PM by picmacmillan »

skravlinge

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 03:53:54 PM »
I do not have seen this posts, I do not read all, but it is not a line wrap check on the server. If some is on a Mac as me, the linefeed is not as on Windows or Unix  It  should be possible to resize big pictures or refuse.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 03:53:54 PM by skravlinge »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 05:20:46 PM »
on my digatel camera i use the one star setting--then my pictures come out

just the right size for posting--other wise they take up the whole screen

on a three or  four star setting...and i use a 1024by768 screen setting..

works for me......
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 05:20:46 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

kurt

• website
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 05:50:57 PM »
every digital camera i have ever seen comes with a photo editing program on the cd you can use that program to resize your pics before uploading them onto the server if you resize your pictures to 450 pixels wide they display great in posts to find out how to resize pictures with your photo editing software try clicking on "help" in that program or open the program and hit the F1 key that brings up the help directory in most programs.

as for those that find the wide pics thing intolerable i would recommend downloading installing and using mozilla firefox this browser will automatic resize those huge pics so they fit on your screen.

huge pics are the scourge of every discussion board that allows pics.

all the admins could do with the current software is limit file sizes allowed to be uploaded then no one would be able to upload pdf files or mpeg movie files or any of the other cool stuff that we  can now. it would probably also cause a firestorm of complaints from users that they are unable to upload pics, accusations of discrimination and hatemail.  that would be a royal mess.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 05:50:57 PM by kurt »

Peppyy

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 07:08:36 PM »
I use a free software program called irfanview. You can resize and save as any image file type and size you want and it is really easy to use.

http://www.irfanview.com/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 07:08:36 PM by Peppyy »

baggo

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 07:21:17 PM »
Not sure if I have been one of the guilty ones as I usually upload my photos as 640 by 480. I have been using Mozilla Firefox for ages now which, as Kurt says, automatically resizes the screen to suit. Have just used IE to access the board and I see the problem. It looks totally different! Will reload my photos etc as 450 wide to avoid further problems and will use this size in the future. Anyone who tries Firefox will soon realise how dreadful Internet Explorer is in comparison.

John

« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 07:21:17 PM by baggo »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 10:37:35 PM »
Learn to use the camera and take your pictures at 640x480 resolution. If you cant do it with the camera, use software to reduce the image size to less than 480pixels a side.

I use a Dial Up connection ,  and if you send the pics in a bigger resolution I will not wait for the pictures to load in my browser.

The board will resize the pictures to 80% of the available screen space. but this does not reduce the time for the picture to load into my Mozilla Firefox Browser.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 10:37:35 PM by wooferhound »

CntrlAltDel

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 11:07:55 PM »
I have posted short screen ,probably not knowing what i was doing.

If those that did please let me know how not to do it, so i don't make the same mistake!

Thanks Cntrl.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 11:07:55 PM by CntrlAltDel »

nothing to lose

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2004, 03:04:07 AM »
Ah HA,

480 wide, I normally have small pics but lose quality alot when I am resizing and changing resolutions and such.

As much as I do with images I still can't take decent pics with the digital consitently or upload decent quality ones very often. Maybe I been going too low on the setting for the ones I upload.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 03:04:07 AM by nothing to lose »