Author Topic: New Bio-Fuel Hazard Identified...  (Read 473 times)

Brian H

New Bio-Fuel Hazard Identified...
« on: March 08, 2007, 10:08:30 PM »
Senior Couple badgerd over Vegetable Oil:

Tax collectors get a little too big for their britches!

"I was afraid," Eileen Wetzel said. "I came out of the bathroom. I thought: Good God, we paid our taxes. The check didn't bounce."

The agents informed the Wetzels that they were interested in their car, a 1986 Volkswagen Golf, that David Wetzel converted to run primarily from vegetable oil but also partly on diesel.

Wetzel uses recycled vegetable oil, which he picks up weekly from an organization that uses it for frying food at its dining facility.

"They told me I am required to have a license and am obligated to pay a motor fuel tax," David Wetzel recalled. "Mr. May also told me the tax would be retroactive."

Since the initial visit by the agents on Jan. 4, the Wetzels have been involved in a struggle with the Illinois Department of Revenue. The couple, who live on a fixed budget, have been asked to post a $2,500 bond and threatened with felony charges.

State legislators have rallied to help the Wetzels.

State Sen. Frank Watson, R-Greenville, introduced Senate Bill 267, which would curtail government interference regarding alternative fuels, such as vegetable oil. A public hearing on the bill will be at 1 p.m. today in Room 400 of the state Capitol.

David Wetzel was told to contact a revenue official and apply for a license as a "special fuel supplier" and "receiver." After completing a complicated application form designed for businesses, David Wetzel was sent a letter directing him to send in a $2,500 bond.

"I would agree that the bond is not acceptable, $2,500 bond," Watson said, adding that David Wetzel should be commended for his innovative efforts. "(His car) gets 46 miles per gallon running on vegetable oil. We all should be thinking about doing without gasoline if we're trying to end foreign dependency.

A couple of weeks later, David Wetzel received another letter from the revenue department, stating that he "must immediately stop operating as a special fuel supplier and receiver until you receive special fuel supplier and receiver licenses."

This threatening letter stated that acting as a supplier and receiver without a license is a Class 3 felony. This class of felonies carries a penalty of up to five years in prison.

On the department of revenue's Web site, David Wetzel discovered that the definition of special fuel supplier includes someone who operates a plant with an "active bulk storage capacity of not less than 30,000 gallons." Wetzel also did not fit the definition of a receiver, described as a person who produces, distributes or transports fuel into the state. So Wetzel withdrew his application to become a supplier and receiver.

Mike Klemens, spokesman for the department of revenue, explained that Wetzel has to register as a supplier because the law states that is the only way he can pay motor fuel tax.

But what if he is not, in fact, a supplier? Then would he instead be exempt from paying the tax?

So American ingenuity gets stifled again! By government no less!

Governments function is to protect Life and Property, thus the question needed to be asked is: Where does the state of Illinois have authority to tax the Wetzels use of vegetable oil as a fuel?

These three questions need to be asked:

What section of the Illinois Constitution allows for any tax on the use of vegetable oil as a fuel?

If there is no section allowing for such a use, are the revenuers going to be fired for abuse of power?

As the authors namesake states, are the Wetzels FREE men or subjects? If subjects, identify to whom they are subject!

Editors notes: this report comes from the Herald   Review by writer Huey Freeman

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 10:08:30 PM by (unknown) »

kurt

• website
Re: New Bio-Fuel Hazard Identified...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 03:54:32 PM »
link?? please

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 03:54:32 PM by kurt »

asheets

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 04:03:29 PM »
I don't know about Illinois or bio-diesel... but in Colorado if you have a CNG-powered car you must pay a $20 license fee to the state before you are allowed to be issued the credit card that allows you to refuel at the established CNG refueling points.  That fee also gets you the sticker you must display if you run on CNG.

I'm not sure what the penalties are, if any are codified in the state statutes, for bypassing the fee by refueling at home.  It never was an issue for me because the fuel-at-home equipment at the time was beyond me pricewise (I've since learned how to build the gear, however).  Registration of the vehicle was never an issue either -- the title and registration both specified "gasoline", and there were no rebates or incentives that could easily be had for specifying something else.  I'm pretty sure, though, that the issue wouldn't be a felony.

In the long run, it didn't matter, as CNG started getting priced above gasoline on a per equivalent gallon basis anyhow.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 04:03:29 PM by asheets »

jimjjnn

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 04:32:03 PM »
I believe Colorado charges $75 a year for Electric cars as a Road tax if it is recharged at home with any kind of power whether renewable or utility power. I wonder what Colorado charges for Bio-Diesel as I plan on using Bio in my Jeep Liberty?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 04:32:03 PM by jimjjnn »

stop4stuff

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 05:20:24 PM »
Here in the UK any fueled vehicle on the public highway is subject to a fuel tax no matter what the fuel is. I'm not sure if the tax applies to an EV with an onboard diesel genset run on homemade wvo fuels ;)

paul

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 05:20:24 PM by stop4stuff »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 05:57:59 PM »
did'nt he establishment that provided the vegetable oil already pay the tax on that oil ?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 05:57:59 PM by wooferhound »

Titantornado

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 07:02:51 PM »
Sales tax, sure.  But not road tax.  Irregardless of what form of energy, or how you got it, doesn't matter.  The road tax is established to pay for road maintenance, and has nothing to do with fuel production.  So if you drive on it, you should pay your part.

Where I got problems with the system are when I buy gas for a mower, or other non-road use machinery, and pay road taxes for it.  As a pilot, one of the oddest things I found, was aviation fuel (100 octane and leaded, specifically for aircraft use) has road tax applied!!!  This, despite the fact that most non-international airports are privately own, and not a dime of the road tax goes back to them.  I've heard that you can apply for reimbursment of taxes paid, but why the heck was it charged in the first place?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 07:02:51 PM by Titantornado »

RogerAS

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 07:25:40 PM »
TT,

U are right about the airport use/taxation of avgas, and something needs to be done about that! As a former airport manager, the guy that bought the gas planes used, the tax situation is a nightmare for smaller airport intities. Even nonprofit local airports have issues and problems.

How do governemtal officals "get wind" of these non petrol roadies? I say go over to the darkside and keep your mouth shut. What the don't know won't hurt 'em. Of course I'm not saying anyone else should avoid taxation in this way.

<wink> <nod><smirk>

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 07:25:40 PM by RogerAS »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 08:06:30 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

nothing to lose

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 02:16:28 AM »
To add to the stupidity of taxes on AV feul and lawmowers,

You can buy off road diesel for less money because you don't pay as much for the road use taxes, but you cannot buy offroad gasolene!

Offroad equipment like farm tractors, backhoes and other stuff are legaly used on the roads, we get stuck behing them all the time, if diesel powered they are not paying road taxes.

Chainsaws, lawnmowers, tractors, gocarts, generators, tons of other stuff is gasolene powered  that is NEVER on the roads and we pay road use taxes for all of it. I think I will go use my chainsaw on the road, I wonder how they would like that? I wonder how long the chain will last cutting up a road though?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 02:16:28 AM by nothing to lose »

drdongle

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 05:40:50 AM »
Just further proof that government is the problem not the solution, government just gets in the way.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 05:40:50 AM by drdongle »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 07:28:18 AM »
He could bypass this nonesense from Illinois by requesting a Federal fuel making license .

Back in the 70s the license cost $75.00USD in Missouri and you could only make 200 gals max per year.

Now as of 2004 there's no cost and the max is 20,000gals :--) per year but you cannot sell it to anyone for a profit.

Since I still make my own Alky I keep up on this.

What I would like to know , how did the Ill government find out how he was making his own and who told? Since he is still buying Desiel then he is in fact paying road tax.

Me? I would make them take me to court and prove I was breaking the law. Those letters are written to scare normal people into submission.

He should call the TV people and make a noisy case out of it. Let the state look like little morons.

JMO:--)

Bruce S

« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 07:28:18 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

asheets

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 10:20:57 AM »
I remember working at a truck stop during a college summer (in between military obligations) -- I always remembered what a total pain in the rear it was to do the paperwork to refund the taxes on "refer" fuel (the diesel fuel that runs the refrigeration unit instead of the engine).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 10:20:57 AM by asheets »

winston

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 10:45:47 AM »
Hi To a fellow pilot TT

It is rediculous that we pay road tax on 100 LL

I didn't even know this

Here is Wisconsin we have lots of Amish that use buggies

I think the state should start levying a road tax on the hay the horses burn

That makes as much sense as the state taxing this guy

This just proves taxation is NOT about financing roads but ALL about CONTROL  

« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 10:45:47 AM by winston »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 09:45:41 AM »
I have traveled to several other countries outside the USA, and many of the roads were horrible. (side note: most of the people in these countries didn't have a vehicle due to a bad economy)

I'm glad the roads here are as good as they are, and I understand that the money has to come from somewhere. However, When the cost of fuel goes up, people drive less. They stay home, ride public transportation more, and carpool. They buy a 4-cylinder instead of a 6, a 6 instead of a V8. What I mean is total revenue goes down, so the state and fed government gets less money. When a politician starts getting less money, their hand starts to shake, their chest hurts, their breathing gets shallow....I'm tellin ya, its worse than heroin...

When a state wants to encourage businesses to move there to bring jobs, one of the common perks used to entice is a 5-year relief from state taxes.

Alternatively fuelled vehicles need to be encouraged. They should be exempt from road taxes for at least 5 years. Honestly, out of the millions of cars on the road in the USA, how many use WVO, Bio-Diesel, Home-brew ethanol, etc?

California claims to lead the nation in "caring" about the environment. But it's one of the states where you cannot buy a 46-MPG Diesel VW. However, you can buy a big-block Diesel V8 truck (technically a "work" vehicle) to pull a big-block Diesel V8 boat ("off-road"). They have consistently denied permits to build off-shore wind generators (ruins the view, kills endangered birds) and underground geo-thermal steam generators (requires digging "gasp!")

There are many more examples of government policies having the opposite effect from what they claim to help...-Ron

"I may not be a doctor,...but I'm losin my patience" -Popeye

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 09:45:41 AM by spinningmagnets »

dyslexicbloke

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 05:50:30 PM »
"I'm losin my patience ...."

well said, that would be you and the rest of the developed world.

Perhaps the additional revenue could be generated from those who want to drive trucks instead of cars, and I am not talking about haulage here, whilst the breaks go to folk who actually give a dam!

Its a little better over here 50% discounted road tax on small efficient oil based engines and no tax on 100% electric.

All we need now is the car manufacturers to get on board and we may all be in with a chance.

In theory in the UK if you charge your car with a genny running on BIO (SVO) you would pay 70% less for your fuel and avoid road tax all together. I think I feel a project coming on!

Al UK

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 05:50:30 PM by dyslexicbloke »