Homebrewed Electricity > Solar

HF 1.5Watt Panel Question?

<< < (4/4)

ghurd:
Wish I knew for sure.

The 1300maH I mentioned are ~6 years old. State of the art at the time.

Started with maybe 16. About 12 still work fine. The kid 'lost' 4 or 6 for a couple years.  A few are not good maH or shorted. No idea which is which.

I mark them now, stars, triangles... matching pairs and 'fours'.
I do NOT believe the "memory" info is correct, and believe that info came about from overcharging.
I DO believe...

Excess charging "current" kills them. NiMh or NiCd.  And NiMh last longer and last longer with more abuse.

Keeping the charging amps below C/10 is good, and with C/20 indefinitely will cause no harm.

Anything past C/7 can't be great for the cells.

No, undercharging won't hurt as long as they get charged before they reach 0.7V(?).

And letting them sit at a low V will cause them to short.

I said 'believe'.
BruceS knows more about it than me, even if I like to argue with him.

G-

coldspot:
After putting a V meter on each side of it,

this after I resoldered the crappy job done on

the power out wire! It was using power that should be for the battery.

No, I cut the plug off about 20 min after I bought

the panel.

Was just wondering about "whats inside"?

It's not keeping a very good charge on an old low power 12 VDC cycle type bat. But, being it gets to work,

7 days a week and I only get out there a couple times maybe for a total of 6-8 hours. And I only run  about 8watt bulbs for maybe half that time.

I'll add in some better bat's and panels when I get

shed/shop finished rebuilding.

I also have been wondering about what up with the solar yard lights I've looked around insides of to many times, I've only got one that has two AA's and  two or three with only one AA.

I'm planning on using the panel at least out of the one with two AA's and the batteries to "solar power up" a little fake security camera that uses two AA's.("HubbCam detective" older version that didn't have a switch and used two not three AA's),{Mine has switches I've added for power and LED, On/Off}

Maybe I'll use the led/photo sensor board also to have the blinking red LED on the fakey to only come on at night.

I like the motion activated fakey but am not going to keep replacing the AA's.

I just added a changable lens to it so now I can hide a real camera in it.

I should just also add a power plug for being able to power from bank and also power the real camera.

So when I set at shed it will be not drawing for it's own bat's.

Should just get a couple more.

Way to much fun when setting up somebody to sit down and later see something is looking at them!,   LOL

People are so easy.

:)

ZooT:
Maybe the cap is to run the blinking LED.

Maybe the flasher chip under the black blob just causes the cap to discharge through the LED

Maybe I'm just guessing :)

badmoonryzn:
Sanyo makes some great ni-cads, their aaa, aa, c and sub c plus many others, come in SCR and SCE they can take up to 9 amps of charge rate if you keep the batteries cool and use a peak detecting charger so it cuts off as soon as the cell is full. I have used 20 packs now for 15 years and I have only lost a few cells. I look for the bad cell, replace it with one of the same or close discharge rate and move on. The batteries cost a little more but they are worth it. I got the chargers from a hobby store that caters to the RC market, but they wanted way too much for the batteries. The charger is made by Tekin. I use them for all of my power tool battery replacement when the oems crap out. I'll bet they have nimh by now in the same configuration.
Cheers,
Badmoon

ghurd:
All I spoke of were nimh. My nicd's all died a quick death long ago, with fancy store bought chargers.

I don't see much point now in buying nicd D cells with 800mah, when AA nimh are 2850mah and cheaper. If you see what I mean.  

And a 800mah nicd D would need to live through being charged 26 times to match the output of an alkaline D. Mine never did.
The commercial charger that gave me the least problems seems to be a simple transformer, 2.8VDC 50ma output, $5.  Slow, but it never killed a battery! LOL. Using it right now.

G-

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version