Author Topic: solar and kids.  (Read 1093 times)

mikeyny

solar and kids.
« on: April 28, 2008, 11:31:32 AM »
 The kids and I will be starting a project this summer to provide solar electricity to run their tv and some game systems. I am hoping this will help teach them the value of energy first hand. I have two things to choose from. I have a tread mill motor that we may connect to a stationary bike with a battery set up with a small inverter. They could charge the battery when they want to watch tv or play games. I could also do a small pv panel set up, maybe the cheap harbor freight stuff. I guess I have a little math to do to be sure it works effectively. We have a record number of power company shut offs coming up this month here in NY. I think it is time every house hold participate in some sort of energy production. We presently use solar to heat our water and heat the house with wood in the winter. The solar hw is so nice. Once you have it set up it is absolutely care free. Little to no maintenance, no chopping wood or smoke.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 11:31:32 AM by (unknown) »

snowcrow

Re: solar and kids.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 06:45:50 AM »
  Hi Mike, how big is your solar hw system?  Is it for heating also? I am planning to do the same over here in VT. At present we are using oil for heat and hot water, and looking to get solar hw put in before next fall.

Great project you have planned for the kids, keep us posted on they're, and your progress!

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 06:45:50 AM by snowcrow »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 09:05:35 AM »
Hi,

You may have already run across these, but there are some homemade pedal generators here:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/conservation.htm#HumanPower

Gary

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:05:35 AM by GaryGary »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 01:22:06 PM »
Here is a very nice story about using pedal power to power TVs and Games.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/12/29/51639/165

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 01:22:06 PM by wooferhound »

mikeyny

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 01:51:52 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I am actually thinking that I will do the bike generator. I have an idea to use a big heavy flywheel with an 18 speed mountain bike set up on a stand. I have a few options for generators. 2 tread mill motors. I also Have a neat little 1000 watt single cyl gas generator that I never use. The gas tank leaks. ( I could fix it easily). It has both ac and dc plugs on it. I was thinking that I may just remove the re-coil and spark plug and connect it to the bike via a sprocket. I realize the cylinder going up and down would give a good bit of resistance but I could experiment without destroying the entire unit, so I could return it to its normal state of use. I suppose I could also use it to produce some compressed air . It may be a while but I will post some pics of the progress. If it works well enough I will use the power it produces to run the computer when I post the pics.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 01:51:52 PM by mikeyny »