Author Topic: Wind and Solar  (Read 981 times)

watto24

Wind and Solar
« on: July 09, 2008, 06:50:15 AM »
Hello All

I have a 80 watt panel and a homemade wind generator i currently have the panel connected to the charge controller , i would like to know if i can add the  wind generator to the same controller.

thanks

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 06:50:15 AM by (unknown) »

David HK

Re: Wind and Solar
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 01:47:31 AM »
Dear Sir,

It is most gracious of you to visit this site to seek help on a matter that is of curiosity to you.

However, none of us are clairvoyant and it would therefore be most helpful if you could provide a great deal more information, to wit:-

Panel voltage.

Maker, model number of your charge controller.

Your proposed wind generator, type, model voltage etc.

Photographs, and even a schematic of the existing and proposed circuit arrangement would also be a bonus on which advice can be based.

Battery specification - voltage, ampere-hours etc.

System demand for power - what to you propose to power etc?

Help us and we can help you.

David HK

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 01:47:31 AM by David HK »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: Wind and Solar
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 05:41:51 AM »
Generally . . .

When using solar panels you would want to use a charge controller big enough to handle the amps and voltage coming from your panels. Voltage output of solar panels are fairly tame, and the voltage from a panel designed for a 12v system will run from 0 to around 21 volts depending on the weather.

The Voltage from a wind generator is pretty wild and can vary from 0 up to possibly over 100 volts. A wind generator output is normally connected directly to the battery and a Dump Load Controller is used to bleed off any voltage above a full charge and burn the extra power up an a in Dump Load Resistors.

In a system that has both wind and solar, both power outputs are connected directly to the battery through through diodes to isolate the solar panels and prevent the solar power from trying to power up and motor the wind generator. A Dump load controller is normally used in this situation as you are combining two different wild voltage outputs through the combiner diodes and attaching them to the battery. Note that the wind and solar do not go through the dump controller, but the outputs and controller are both connected to the battery lugs.

It is possible that your charge controller might have a Dump Mode ?

as mentioned above, more information would be helpful

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 05:41:51 AM by wooferhound »