Author Topic: Transformer to solar switch for gate opener  (Read 39705 times)

(unknown)

Transformer to solar switch for gate opener
« on: March 01, 2010, 05:40:06 PM »
I am in need of a switching device for my gate opener.

I have a 10 watt solar panel that charges the batteries but on cloudy days or excessive use at night will drain the batteries down. Then I need to unplug the solar panel and plug in the electric charger.

Seems like there should be a switching power supply for this so when the voltage drops to a certain point the transformer will kick on and begin charging the batteries. Then when the sun comes out, the solar panel reaches a certain voltage output it will switch back to the solar power.

The gate opener board can either accept the transformer or the solar power, but not both.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:40:06 PM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: Transformer to solar switch for gate opener
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 06:45:18 PM »
Why disconnect the panel?  Put a blocking diode in series with it and hook it in parallel with the line charger.

You can hack a dump load controller to work backward and turn on a relay to power up the charger when the battery gets too low.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 06:45:18 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

SteveCH

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 06:57:56 PM »
I have a gate opener running off a battery charged by a 10w pv panel. It is 300+ feet from the house so I don't want to run 110 v. power to it. Mine works fine off the battery, though it gets lower use, sounds like, than yours.

Seems to me, easiest would be to add an additional battery.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 06:57:56 PM by SteveCH »

hydrosun

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 07:23:50 PM »
I'd second the idea of using a larger battery. Most of the gate openers I've worked on use a 50 amp hour or larger battery. Some also went to a 20 watt solar panel. Here in the rainy northwest there isn't enough sun in the winter for the panel that comes with the gate openers.

Chris
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:23:50 PM by hydrosun »

jeepers

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 07:42:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I understand how to put a diode in series but I'm not sure about making a controller that will switch to the transformer when the battery gets low. Is there a plan or basic switch controller that I can get my hands on?

I even thought that there might be a controller built and marketed for these type of conditions,.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:42:03 PM by jeepers »

jeepers

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 07:51:49 PM »
Thanks for both replies about adding a extra battery.

I actually do have 2 batteries on the system.

The additional battery is a Marine Deep Cell 12 volt and I thought would be all that would be needed. The solar panel just doesn't seem to keep up with everything I have added. The transformer does great at keeping the battery charged.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:51:49 PM by jeepers »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 08:11:57 PM »
So add another - or get a bigger - panel.  B-)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:11:57 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 08:12:56 PM »
Seriously.  It's GOTTA be cheaper than screwing around with automating a battery charger changeover.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:12:56 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 08:22:27 PM »
I think Glen's controller could be used. Check it out over here:

http://ghurd.info

Tom

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:22:27 PM by TomW »

Airstream

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 06:01:22 AM »
If you go oversize battery too much much with your current panel you will shorten the life of the battery - and over sizing the panel and not the battery can also shorten the battery life.  To maximize the panel you have now maybe look at the MorningStar 4.5A 12-volt battery charger "SunGuard" that uses a PWM charging scheme but that maintainer might be a little hot for AGM or Gel batteries - if you get a controller get one you will only buy once, controller now then battery then panel etc..

I've seen more 'homeowner quality' automated gate openers bypassed or disconnected than I have working ones - and the Northern Tools Outlet Store near me always has highly distressed looking surplus units on the shelf (for way too much money).. .

Have you studied the mechanicals to spot if there are areas you can tune up to decrease resistance or friction? Alignment on the idler wheels, limit switch timing, total travel length reduction, sweep alignment, etc.?

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:01:22 AM by Airstream »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 06:07:39 AM »
Yes, it works.

Controller controls a SSR, which turns on a battery charger.

Sounds like that $10 ($6 with coupon) Harbor Freight battery charger would be big enough (42292-2VGA).  The HF charger is not what I would call automatic.

Could do the whole thing for about $30, if HF is local.

Sketch here,

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww20/ghurd1/Sketches/GridBatBooster.gif

If someone is planning on doing that with my kit, I need to know so I can include 2 extra parts.  N-fet and ~500 ohm.

Might still have some SSRs here too, but too lazy to go look.  

Can use a regular relay with a very high coil resistance (not a car relay), but the circuit changes a bit.

G-

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:07:39 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 06:35:34 AM »
The SG-4 is optimized for SLAs, but works great on FLAs too.

G-

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:35:34 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

kurt

• website
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 07:11:35 AM »
OK maybe i am missing the boat here but if he has grid power at the gate why not just get one of those wall wort 3 stage chargers for the battery and hard wire it too it forget the solar panel best of both worlds grid power reliability battery is always fully charged and if the power goes out you got battery backup to open your gate. sorta un re but not everyone is in to solar and wind powered everything.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:11:35 AM by kurt »

jeepers

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 08:26:34 AM »
Thanks everyone for some great minds giving their ideas to help me out on this issue.

One thing to note is the solar panel was sent to me by mistake and instead of returning it and getting a refund, I thought it would be a great to take advantage of the "free power" and eliminate the power grid.

This might be a faulty battery that is about a year old and is not keeping a full charge, not sure yet. But the controller mentioned above will be helpful if I do need a little extra on cloudy days or excessive use.

Should mention the fact that this is a dual gate operation with 3 keypads using power off the mains and a exit wand that apparently use some power all the time.

I thought at first the 10 watt solar panel would be more than enough and might still be if there is a problem with the deep cell battery. In most cases of using a solar panel they, GTO Gate Openers techs, do recommend a 2 battery setup.

I think they use to build the boards with a solar input and a transformer input that could both be used together, but apparently they had troubles or made the boards cheaper leaving only one or the other to use.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 08:26:34 AM by jeepers »

Airstream

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 10:38:56 AM »
Controlled 14.1 VDC (+/- 60mv) could be too hot for some AGM/Gel batteries ~ Included warning as its a long term low maintenance application ~ Nice controller to get small batteries bulk charged ASAP in partially shaded installs, install directly on batteries and shield/insulate box from sun...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 10:38:56 AM by Airstream »

don1

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 08:09:22 PM »
Hey there Jeepers,

I am not sure of how much power it takes to operate the gate but it would seem to me that one good battery such as your marine battery would easily be enough storage. A larger panel may be needed. Maybe check the battery voltage later in the afternoon and see if it makes full charge voltage.  If not your panel is to small or the battery may be compromised.

Good luck with it Jeepers and let us know what you find out.   Don.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 08:09:22 PM by don1 »