Author Topic: possible dud cell  (Read 1425 times)

Ballyk

possible dud cell
« on: September 19, 2009, 04:41:27 PM »
I posted some months bach regarding my renovation of o 48volt forklift battery. Well after meny weeks of tender care i now have one big battery and it seems to be working well. I have only recently got an inverter and today am running it to power a 750 watt oil radiator and a fan to dry clothes for the good lady in my life. Its a good thing to keep her happy and I recommend it to anyone who is having an affair with a battery.

Under load today I checked all the cells. I have 23 holding a voltage of between 1.89 and 1.92 volts and they have held this all day. I have one cell that looks like its in trouble though. It is showing 0.89 volts.

Question. Is it knackered and what should I replace it with or can I do anything to revive it. I suppose 23 out of 24 cells for €20 is not bad.

All or any comments will be greatfully accepted.

Regards to all from Ireland,

Bally K

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 04:41:27 PM by (unknown) »

zeusmorg

Re: possible dud cell
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 12:10:13 AM »
 You should be testing this with a good quality hydrometer. This will give you a much better indication of individual cell condition than voltage on load.

If you do have a low cell, good luck as you are dealing with a used battery bank. Adding a new cell in wil create an imbalance, however that is probably your best option if you do have a weak/dead cell.

The one bad cell will place a much heavier load on your input than the others, heat up faster, boil, etc..

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 12:10:13 AM by zeusmorg »