Author Topic: will this work  (Read 2209 times)

A6D9

will this work
« on: July 03, 2006, 07:41:23 PM »
I seen this following picture on a web site.

will that actualy work?

does the "jumper" need some kind of diode or somethign to prevent one bat from trickling to the other.

hope that makes sence?

the reason why i ask is becaue i fear that I will have very very low winds in my area for a part of the year, and if i can build a few smaller gens that will produce smaller amounts of volts in low winds and switch them to produce larger amounts of powerr in higher winds.

could i potentialy make that idea work?

hope I"m not clear as mud on this one.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 07:41:23 PM by (unknown) »

whatsnext

Re: will this work
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 03:15:54 PM »
Dumbest idea ever. There is no way to know that the two gens will produce the exact same amount of power so eventually you wil destroy one battery by undercharging while  likely overcharging the other. If the creator of this website thinks this is better advice than just building two 24 volt mills and paralleling them I wouldn't buy anything from them.

John..
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 03:15:54 PM by whatsnext »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 03:22:01 PM »
It seems a silly idea with the potential for problems, but yes it will work.

The link is ok and doesn't need any diodes. You will likely end up with one battery more charged than the other and to work properly you would need a 12v charge controller for each battery ( twice the expense).

You only gain if you are using something that is not really suitable in the first place. If you are using tape motors or something it may help.

If you build something sensible and build it right you will gain nothing over using a 24 v machine direct. You can parallel multiple 24v machines if you want to and use one charge controller.

I am not sure if your plan was to connect the two machines directly to 24v in high wind. If so you would have a simpler arrangement with just 24v and using series/parallel or star delta to match for high and low wind.

The real truth is that there is no energy in the low winds and even if you extract something it may only produce enough to run a few LEDs.

Flux

« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 03:22:01 PM by Flux »

whatsnext

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 03:23:47 PM »
"the reason why i ask is becaue i fear that I will have very very low winds in my area for a part of the year, and if i can build a few smaller gens that will produce smaller amounts of volts in low winds and switch them to produce larger amounts of powerr in higher winds."

Low winds mean low power NOT always low voltages so you really need to understand the difference between power and potential before embarking on a windmill making project. If you have low winds during some part of the year you would be better off with some sort of MPPT controller, to scavenge what you can, or just find another source of energy during those times.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 03:23:47 PM by whatsnext »

A6D9

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 04:26:46 PM »
thank you all for a reply,  

my winds are ag year rounf of 8 mph

but about 9-10 mths it is about avg of 13-14mph

the rest of the year more like a calm..lol

« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 04:26:46 PM by A6D9 »

Nando

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 06:14:18 PM »
The solution would be to have both wind mills in series with diodes anti-parallel to each output in case one mill is not working.

Also the mills output need to have diodes in series for reverse power into the mills.

In UTAH and in South America there are several sites that have small wind mill ( using heavy truck fan radiators motors), one of them charges a 144 volts bank with 16 wind mills -- low cost indeed -- almost nothing -- the owner got pipes and wood and motors free or almost free.

He has one of my DC/AC transformerless MSW inverter.

The fellow in UTAH place several in series and he has told me that the motors last about 4 to 6 years -- the blades are very easy to make - I do not recall the diameter --.

Nando

« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 06:14:18 PM by Nando »

A6D9

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 06:42:24 PM »
nando sounds very interested,  got a link to read up on it?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 06:42:24 PM by A6D9 »

Nando

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 08:29:18 PM »
No links, private communications, I used to have photos but hard disk crashes make them "SMOKE" .

Nando

« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 08:29:18 PM by Nando »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 02:03:42 AM »
You have good wind power for 9 to 10 months of the year for a sensible machine.

Accept that for 2 months you don't have wind power and don't compromise the machine to try and deal with it.

Flux

« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 02:03:42 AM by Flux »