Author Topic: hot water from fireplace  (Read 1512 times)

jeffbirkle

hot water from fireplace
« on: November 23, 2007, 06:40:35 AM »
I have an off grid non-winterized cabin up in the woods up north.For my hot water i installed my electric hot water tank (elec in summer)on the roof (gravety feed) with an additional 6" of insulation and an outer shell.I did all my plumbing so when i leave for the week during the freezing months, all i do is open 4 valves and all the water drains from the entire system. When i go back up, i fire up the wood stove and fill the tank. There is a "low cold" side under the kitchen sink and there are 6 pieces of 3/4" 3 ft long copper tubeing running up the flue (my own heat exchange design) then the tubeing continues in an upward direction to an extra hole i put just above the lower output side of the hot water tank. As the water is heated by the wood stove it rises naturally up the tubeing and flows into the tank pulling the cold water from under the sink faucet. The water coming from the well is 10 deg and in 4 hours the 10 gal tank is 40 deg (ready for a shower). Also because it circulates its self the water is allways warm instantely at the sink. If anyone wants more info just let me know.

Off grid and love'n it.

Duplicate of diary posted same day. Redundant.

Jeff
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 06:40:35 AM by (unknown) »