Author Topic: running a car with water  (Read 1475 times)

devoncloud

running a car with water
« on: September 24, 2004, 07:13:37 AM »
A while back I posted a topic concerning hydrogen production, and one of the ideas that came out of that discussion (I think it was Ed that came up with the idea) was to make an electolosis machine (seperates hydrogen and oxygen molecules of water) that would fit into a car, so that you could simply add water to your car, plug it into an electical socket, and create your own hydrogen for your fuel cell rather than the world having to make a bunch of hydrogen fuel stations all over the place.  This is one of the biggest problems concerning the whole fuel cell car idea, which is it would take us the better part of twenty years to get the fuelling part down alone.

So, if fuel cell cars were made with the elolizer built into them where all you had to do was add water to the tank and plug it in at night while you were sleeping and have a full cell of hydrogen in the morning, This would solve the problem.

The only thing is noone is making these electrolosis things small enough to fit in cars. The smallest one I have heard about is about the size of a refridgerator.  Does anyone on this site have good knowledge in this area?  Can these things be made small enough to fit in a car?  would it be safe enough?  

Devon

« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 07:13:37 AM by (unknown) »

luckylogger

Re: running a car with water
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 10:29:18 PM »
HYdrogen is very light. In order to acumulate enough to actually run your vehicle for any amount,it needs to be highly compressed requiring a lot of energy.This also requires a heavy tank in a safe place.Old mother earth news had quite a few articles on methane,which is similar.best o luck
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 10:29:18 PM by luckylogger »