Author Topic: Thoughts on water filtering  (Read 2680 times)

pvale

Thoughts on water filtering
« on: March 21, 2008, 03:25:07 PM »
With all that's been in the news lately about pharmaceuticals and such being in a good lot of the water we drink, I feel strongly that low doses of such things over a long period of time will have bad effects on people's health. I am on a municipal water source here, but the wells are very close to the Missouri river. The city water here smells like river water and I can't get it past my nose to drink it. I've always considered that river to be a running sewer anyway. Some of those drug molecules are going to be very persistent in the environment. The EPA is just now studying to determine a standard testing method for them. I consider water to be the stuff of life and to be vitally important.

Now, my wife is very sensitive to salt, and this prompted me per a doctor's suggestion several years ago to buy a reverse osmosis rig to remove the residual salt. We were living at a place that attempted to soften very hard water on a municipal scale, and left a residue of salt in the tap water. After a period of several years and a couple of moves, the tank bladder burst, so I put the system in a box, and we started using bottled water to drink. We've been buying the 2 gallon jugs of 'drinking water' that Wal-mart sells, and the cost has been mounting up. After reading Wal-mart;s site, it appears that the water they sell is  carbon filtered and ozonated only. Without figuring out where they bottle it at, I'm beginning to not trust it. I suppose I could just haul my own jugs and get water out of the blue machine at the back of the store. That water is passed through reverse osmosis on a larger scale than a home sized unit.

After talking to several water 'experts', it seems that the only treatments for this type of contamination is reverse osmosis or distillation. On that note, I ordered online a bunch of parts to get my reverse osmosis rig going again. I ordered all the filters and membrane for my unit, and a complete system. I'm going to combine my old refurbished system with the new system. The new system I bought is a 5 stage system, with a sediment filter, carbon block filter and GAC filter before the membrane. I'm going to parallel my old refurbished membrane across the new rig's membrane to speed up the production. I am adding a TDS meter connected to the feed water, and the membrane output line, so that I can see when the membranes lose their effectiveness and need changed. I never had this years ago, and I suspect I ran the membrane far too long.

I am considering ordering a small UV light sterilizer to fut in the output line to the faucet. Does anyone have any thoughts about whether this is needed or not? You folks that have naturally clean water sources and can drink them directly should count yourselves as very lucky.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 03:25:07 PM by (unknown) »

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
Re: Thoughts on water filtering
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 09:39:41 AM »
Look up a berkley water filter. That was recomemded to me and it will be the way for me. It is worth a look. Just an idea.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 09:39:41 AM by thirteen »
MntMnROY 13

wdyasq

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 01:22:17 PM »
I will be building solar stills and adding minerals back in to keep from leaching calcium and other minerals out of the body system.

Ron

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 01:22:17 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

pvale

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 05:48:45 PM »
I did wonder about a mineralization cartridge I saw on a water filtering site to be used behind a reverse osmosis, supposedly to put back some of the beneficial minerals.

Do you think it's needed/necessary?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 05:48:45 PM by pvale »

scottsAI

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 11:41:07 PM »
Why us anything other than rain water?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 11:41:07 PM by scottsAI »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 12:55:06 AM »
Having the UV treatment to disable germs by damaging their shell cellular make up is great unless you have whole rafts of the little buggers in mats floating through.

I would find it hard to choose where just one UV treatment should be used - one for incoming water or one for final finishing...

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 12:55:06 AM by DanG »

wdyasq

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 06:45:33 AM »
Remineralization is not necessary unless one is concerned about their health.

Ron

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 06:45:33 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

SteveCH

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 10:11:13 AM »
Why not use rain water? Depends. Here in Colorado it has been deemed by the courts to be illegal unless you own water rights with your property, and very, very few homeowners, if any, do. We did use rain water a while until we found out how bad the fine can be. It does require cistern storage, which requires input filtration, monitoring for bacteria, etc. It is great, I agree, and quite worth going thru the process of setting it all up. We even switched to an all-steel roof to help. Some health dep'ts require regular testing and certification of rain water that is used for domestic consumption. Here in my rural area, that isn't a requirement for any of our water [and, of course, we aren't supposed to use rain water....] We have a friend who was fined in Denver for having a roof-gutter downspout running into a barrel, from which he drew water for his garden.

However, we put in a well a while ago and the water is hard. Full of sodium, for one thing. So, after having that nice rain water, I put in a reverse osmosis system for drinking and cooking [haven't decided what to do about the general house water for other uses....]

I went with a Blue Air unit. These are more expensive than some of the others, at $3000. Some of the less expensive ones have numerous filters that must be regularly changed, and these can really be pricey. An inline cartridge filter for any sediment or fine particles, installed somewhere prior to the rev. osm. unit, will keep the particles out and save the rev. osm. membrane. That also negates the need for fancy, multi-stage filters at the unit, which some are sold with. Our replacement cartridges are around $4 each, and I go through a couple a year, though our well water is really clean.

Some osmosis systems also have a replaceable carbon filter unit. From what I understand from shopping for this stuff last summer, these filters are on the output side and are to further condition the water which has been sitting in the rev. osmosis unit since the last time you turned it on. The unit we bought doesn't hold any water, so that's not needed. Another saving.

According to the info' we got with our unit, there should be no bacteria coming from the output of the unit. The pores in the membrane should stop them. [I don't know, though, I haven't had ours tested but in our case the bacteria would have to originate in the well water and it's been tested negative for that.] That would mean, I would think, no uv purification is needed, in answer to that question. I suppose that if your source water is contaminated, you might have to something on the source water side. I have read somewhere that too much bacteria being filtered out by the rev. osm. membrane can leave that membrane less efficient due to the bacteria blocking some pores. However, supposedly the periodic flushing of the membrane the units do should clean that off. But I don't know and you'll have to mull that one over.....

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 10:11:13 AM by SteveCH »

My name is AL

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 10:23:17 PM »
I teaspoon of Charcol has the same surface area as 1 acre of land. Just get a big barrel of it with a layer of sand. Then treat it with a UV light.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 10:23:17 PM by My name is AL »