Author Topic: Please Help Design A 100W +/- Wind Generator  (Read 885 times)

ChrisPilot

Please Help Design A 100W +/- Wind Generator
« on: March 11, 2006, 04:03:37 PM »
I am a model airplane enthusiast.  Radio Control airplanes.  They are glow fuel or gasoline powered, depending on the size and style of aircraft.

I am using a small 285ah lawn and garden tractor battery to charge my niCd and niMH batteries in the airplanes.  I am disabled, and would like to design a way to keep this lawn tractor battery charged all the time.  I don't want to have to lift the battery out of my truck bed and place it on an A/C battery charger.  I'm looking for a self contained system that can be used to charge this small 12V battery with minimal maintenance.  

The battery is in the back of my covered pick up truck bed.  I can't charge it froom the vehicle alternator, because it's not the same capacity as the vehicle battery.  It would continually boil over and cook the battery in short order.

I only need a 2amp <I>(absolute max 4amp)</I> charging system to maintain the battery after using it to charge my smaller 6V niCD and niMH batteries for a couple days.

Is it possible to build a very small wind generator that will produce this kind of power?

I can come up with a tape drive motor, or I have a small DC motor (1/2HP) in my garage if this can be converted to a generator.

I'd like to mount this wind generator on a small pole/bracket and slip the pole into a mount on my truck bumper or even mount a stand on top of the  camper shell.  Pull a pin and disconnect the wires for traveling purposes.  Toss it in the truck and drive away.

Thanks very much for any help or advise you can provide.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 04:03:37 PM by (unknown) »