Author Topic: 35 foot tilt up tower design  (Read 6359 times)

(unknown)

35 foot tilt up tower design
« on: March 19, 2010, 06:20:09 AM »

what do think about this design?

any suggestions before sparks fly?

should I weld on gin pole or bolt it to pivot stub?

Thank you for any advise.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:20:09 AM by (unknown) »

hayfarmer

Re: 35 foot tilt up tower design
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 06:25:21 AM »
the turbine is a 6 foot SWEA about 75 lbs ,planning on top guy 1/4 inch and bottom guy 3/16 inch.pipe is sch 40.thanks.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:25:21 AM by hayfarmer »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 08:30:45 AM »
Looks like an okay start.  You haven't shown how the gin pole fits with the tower.  There are several ways to do it, so don't settle on one before considering the rest.

For example, I have welded two stubs on the base pivot at a right angle, the tower goes on one, the gin on the other.  Another way to do it is to have two pivots beside each other on the same base.  A third is to have a totally separate base that the gin pivots on.  Last one that comes to mind is a gin pole that is part of the tower, not the base pivot.

I went with the first, because it makes the forces from the gin and tower converge on the same point, not on two points several inches apart.  It was more work to make the tubes intersect.  

You show a welded coupling and I assume you plan to slide it over the upper tube until it rests on the lower tube - which makes the lower guy attach point.  I don't picture how you'll do that at the top.  

I've got pictures of my tower assembly among my fieldlines files.  I'll help you find them if you want me to.

One last word: When I accidentally dropped my tower last spring, I was able to completely disassemble it, inspect every part, fix a joint on the shop bench, and reassemble it all.  You and some other guys on the forum seem happy with welding everything together permanently, but someday that tower will have to come apart, and it's a lot easier if you don't have to do it with a blowtorch.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:30:45 AM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

imsmooth

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 10:13:59 AM »
If you want to view a web tutorial on my tower design go to

http://www.mindchallenger.com/wind

Just go through the tutorial and you will find the section on the tower design and construction, including the anchors.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 10:13:59 AM by imsmooth »

hayfarmer

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 07:12:54 PM »
thanks for the input steve, I took a look at some of your files.my pivot base will be like yours.the stub I was planning to weld on a 3 inch stub onto the 3.5 inch pivot,then weld on a 2 foot 3.5 in  section that the 20 foot gin slips in,I was thinking about thru bolting the gin pole to the 3.5 in stub section for future removal,but was not sure if it was sound.

as far as the 35 ft tower I can weld it I have a low boy trailer to transport it.the top welded coupling I was going to weld it to tower pipe.

on your picture of your tower base you noted (could not drill hole cause support was in way)  there is a 90  degree  angle drill attachment at sears for 20 bucks that works well for tight fits. my neighbors horses got thru the fence and tore up my hay fields so I will be filling in holes and seeding for a week so wont be welding as soon as I wanted.thanks again for the feed back.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:12:54 PM by hayfarmer »

hayfarmer

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 07:22:49 PM »
most impressive ,glad to see someone has done the math,keeps a lot of us from the failure's that would have happened with out you guys.I would like to know how people attach the tower raise up guy to the gin pole then to the winch or tractor/truck ?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:22:49 PM by hayfarmer »

wildcrafter

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 04:37:07 AM »
nice tutorial helps out alot keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 04:37:07 AM by wildcrafter »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 08:22:03 AM »
"there is a 90  degree  angle drill attachment at sears for 20 bucks... "

Yup I thought of that afterward - actually there's one in the shop at work I could have borrowed.  I decided to do it the farmer's way - drill it later when I got the tower up (shhhh.. don't tell anybody).

The through bolting has been a mixed success.  Certainly didn't have any trouble disassembling it (and bent bolts would have been a clear sign of over-stress).  On the other hand, it gets in the way of the cable hanging down the middle.  

Ah horses, they're like bulldozers with tiny brains, aren't they?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:22:03 AM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

hayfarmer

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 04:07:08 PM »

Hi saw someone viewing this post ,so thought I would list the finished product, link to you tube video about tower: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cJDr0b0XUY

here is a recent pic and the leveling of tower is a major point to keeping a mill with a ball bearing type of yaw bearing facing into the wind.

and pivot base:

hope this helps someone.  and some where along the line Hugh Piggot commented about changing tower pipe size,I believe it may be in turbulence post.any how I think (change that to )

I KNOW  he is right, If any body knows, he would. that the tower would be stronger with the pipe size remaining the same all the way

It seems to be working well ,I thought the smaller pipe  on top will aid in lowering and raising since my mill is only a 6 footer.

hayfarmer

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:12:45 PM by hayfarmer »