Author Topic: Recommendations for System  (Read 859 times)

barn606

Recommendations for System
« on: February 03, 2006, 06:12:02 PM »
Wind - The Power of Boreas

Hello,  I am Looking at Building a Backup Power System including Wind as One Source. and I must say this site is very useful indeed. and as such have sort of managed to work out some of my requirements. So I will start from the Beginning.

May Years ago there was a Water Pump and windmill installed on my parents farm, not sure when it was fitted but it was before mains water either during the war when the area was a WW2 POW Camp or earlier. This windmill has since been knocked down, mainly because one of the blades rusted off and landed infrount of my dad and me walking the cows when i was about 7, (mother then Ordered its Destruction).

Old Tower from 1980's Photo

Old Pump the Windmill Used to Drive (Fairbanks Morse Chicago - 6 DWHead) (Vid)

As you can see it was built for pumping water.

Same Location as Above Now (Vid)

The Ladder of Death (Vid)

View of Old Location from the Tower

360 Degree View from Tower, Inside and Out (VID)

I Havent Yet got around to building the egg Ammometer or buying one off the bay. as i havent worked out the easist way to take 24 hr readings as there is no way i am climbing that tower too often. but in the meantime i believe the wind to be quite low   most of the time so i am thinking VAWT on the top of the tower being the easist to fit  as the top is 7 foot by 7 foot with beams in the middle to mount too.

Also the way main idea for this was these things (Link Below) i can hear going like the calppers when i get home from work.

VAWT (Vid) - Very Calm Day but these things go like the clappers most of the time.

I have a 1000 watt 12v inverter to power lights and various other (Plan to get a Couple more at Some point -Batterys Dependant)  

I allso am thinging about running a Disel(etc)Engine for Heat and to Charge the Batteries   during low periods / run for 2 hrs a night to heat rads etc, just need to work out if running the disel can provide enough heat for mobile but be cheaper than the gas (when Including Elec saving etc) Dont think theres much in it.

(note Power Useage around 720kwt a month at mo 3/4 of it heating, 600watt load max rest of time apart from microwave fro tea etc)

Currently have 1 13amp 240volt cable for power at mo so looking to suppliment for high/spread loads (PC Home Automation) and reduce the bill etc.

Still in Planning Phase so Suggestions are welcome now rather than later when i have to start again etc

So What does anyone suggest for this system then ?

« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 06:12:02 PM by (unknown) »

Clifford

Re: Recommendations for System
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 05:24:47 PM »
I've heard that the problem with the old fashioned windmills is that they produce low speeds, high torque, where most electric generators require higher speeds.

Too bad you can't build a generator that would utilize the existing blades.

I have read of people using the old windmill towers...  Just have to get the blades out far enough that they don't hit.  

« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 05:24:47 PM by Clifford »

barn606

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 07:54:09 AM »
hello,

Tower not There now to expererment with unfourtunatly, i carnt remember how the windmill was set up, I think it had some sort of screw device were as the blades whent around it forced a screw down till the end and then screwed all the way back pulling the piston up and down in the process.

Anyone any Idea How much Power the Pump would have from the windmill ie is 6 d/w 6hp and only worked in full winds or is it o.6 slowly and steady ?

Thank

B6B

« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 07:54:09 AM by barn606 »

barn606

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 08:28:11 AM »
hmm only 3 votes. Hoped for more than that. and its the 3rd day with no wind since i been checking lol typical for me that lol

« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 08:28:11 AM by barn606 »

barn606

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 01:40:44 PM »
Hello again

think i have worked out my figures correctly in the attached spreadsheet, going to have to put the solar panel idea on hold for a bit that many panels in the uk far to expensive still (rip off britan with panel prices at the mo). going to build a solar water/air heating system first as looks like getting better and cheaper gains, and in the meantime i can measure wind speed across 12mth,

also as one of you kind people have said its going to have to be a large swepted area for a turbine (need to get a friend to look at the tower first - "tower of death" might be sinking a little)

Just thought i would attach my electric findings for people to nose at.

(seems to be right as best as i understand it :-(   )

src="http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/5259/ElectricMan.xls" width=80%>

« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 01:40:44 PM by barn606 »