Author Topic: What a difference removing the short makes  (Read 756 times)

force9BOAT

What a difference removing the short makes
« on: November 27, 2006, 02:25:42 AM »
Hello,

Those who have seen my posts over the past year will remember I've been frustrated with light winds and a 10' turbine that rarely spun very fast.  Even in occasional strong winds my machine never quite reached cut-in.  What was really frustrating for me was reading posts by the pros on this board who often talked about producing power in "practically no wind at all".  

So just over a week ago I put my machine back in action with a brand new stator I built for myself.  Aside from a much lower cut-in speed I also noticed the blades turn much faster in light wind.  Yesterday, for example, I couldn't feel any wind on my face but the turbine was making about 30RPM.  So I got to thinking there must be more to this.  I went into my garage and took a good hard look at the old stator.  And wouldn't you know it, I found a short.  The short was on wires from two phases that passed outside the epoxy mold.  Each wire had brass butt joints to extension wires and those two butt joints touched when the turbine vibrated.  I could tell by the way the brass was polished at the point of contact that the short was in fact the true source of the problem.

Now I see the blades spinning even when they are covered with snow (tonight).

Rob

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 02:25:42 AM by (unknown) »

harrie

Re: What a difference removing the short makes
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 07:32:23 PM »
I can understand the feeling of despare of not reaching cut in after all the hard work of building it. Im glad you found the problem and can finely get something out of it. I think we all go thru some moments of flustration, but learn at the same time!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 07:32:23 PM by harrie »

Kevin L

Re: What a difference removing the short makes
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 08:50:16 PM »
Look at it this way, you now have a backup, or part of a second system.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 08:50:16 PM by Kevin L »