Author Topic: PCB Stators  (Read 818 times)

battle

PCB Stators
« on: May 22, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
Did anyone ever really get any comparative results on the PCB stators Ed posted about last fall?

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/9/5/13246/47609

I'd be interested in trying this in a different size if the results are reasonable.

Thanks

Battle
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 08:59:00 PM by (unknown) »

Spdlmt150

Re: PCB Stators
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 05:14:17 PM »

One question on the pcb stators, or something similar. With a stator that is, we'll say .08" thick, would running a single thickness winding with a ridiculously small airgap be able to get up to a useable voltage range? Has anyone tried it? Any theories or ideas on trying it?

I've been wondering if using large mags (wide coil legs) with single thickness coils and an airgap of maybe .125" would work.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 05:14:17 PM by Spdlmt150 »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 10:58:03 PM »
You could use a Double Sided PC Board and etch 2 coils, one on each side. This would require 2 jumper wires, one to connect the inside of one coil to the outside of the other coil, and another jumper to get the inside of the second coil out so you can connect to the next coil.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 10:58:03 PM by wooferhound »

GlutealCleft

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 10:52:28 PM »
I gave this some thought today, and figured out the ampacity of various trace widths and copper thicknesses, and came to the conclusion that if you were willing to do the work yourself, you could get reasonable ampacities from a relatively inexpensive board - but you're limitted in size.

Later, I realized something:  When you pay your money, what you want is copper, and lots of it.  You don't want to pay for fiberglass and glue, just copper.  A square foot of double-sided PCB runs something like $25 or $30, and you're only talking about one to four ounces of copper... and then you're going to etch most of that away.  In the end, you'll end up less than a half of an ounce of copper... that's pretty expensive.

Think of how much copper wire that amount of money would buy... or on the other side, how much less it would cost to buy that amount of copper wire.

One advantage is the very narrow air gap... but with a little ingenuity, I think you could get the same thickness with wire of a similar ampacity.

That's not to say that they aren't cool... they are.  Cool enough that maybe I'll fiddle around with them.  But a half pound of 22 gauge wire would give you more bang for your buck, I think.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 10:52:28 PM by GlutealCleft »

gumtree

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 12:59:32 AM »
This site

http://www.prinser.com/afpmas1.aspx

seems to produce PCB stators.

Cheers

« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 12:59:32 AM by gumtree »