Author Topic: New to solar/New Farm/not DIY  (Read 953 times)

ShhDragon

New to solar/New Farm/not DIY
« on: April 12, 2010, 04:45:45 AM »
Where might I find a reputable dealer/installer/company who can get me set up to go off-grid or begin to go off-grid?  I am not a hands on type so would prefer to find someone reputable or a local person who is part of a larger system/company who would get me the 'best of everything' for my needs.

thanks all in advance

stephen

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: New to solar/New Farm/not DIY
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 05:55:34 AM »
Stephen, start by telling us where you are my guess is USA, also even though you will have a system supplied and installed educate yourself as much as possible so you know what you want.

allan
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

ShhDragon

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 10:21:40 PM »
thanks so much first of all

Connecticut

I am researching quite a bit but ultimately have more money than DIY talent.  Looking for solar and/or wind turbine.  I have 15 acres of farmland.

how should I begin?

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 06:53:50 PM »
Why not start at http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/index.cfm?re=1&ee=1&spv=0&st=0&srp=1&state=CT

This site has links to the incentives and rules for renewable energy in your state. I don't think they recommend installers, but you can fond out what is and isn't government sponsored and maybe save yourself some time and money.

hayfarmer

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 09:11:09 PM »
first you need to qualify farm for a wind turbine,do a study to find average wind speed on your land,the best wind turbine doesn't make power without it.
then you need determine the amount of watts you will require to size your system,design it so you can expand as your need grows,but you started at the best place I found for a brain trust on good advise and experience on renewable energy.don,t think there is any better.do a lot of reading here and you will save your system from the dreaded "magic smoke" good luck. :D

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 08:23:26 PM »
I would also check on water for the property do you have a creek running threw it? Maybe a spring. There is alot of water filters you may need.  Do not forget to get another thing is a septic system. Get weather reports for the last 10 years so they could be referred to for growing food. Best of luck for it seems the way I see it that it takes about 3 years to go off grid completely and become self sufficient. Just a few ideas.
MntMnROY 13