Author Topic: wind powered pond/waterfall pump  (Read 8416 times)

(unknown)

wind powered pond/waterfall pump
« on: July 16, 2004, 12:47:59 PM »
Hi All,

I have a question about pond pumps. I would like to setup a system that pumps water from my pond to the top of a waterfall. I would prefer to use a wind powered mechanical pump, but I am open to any ideas.

Has anyone else tried this ? or tried anything simialr ? It wouldn't be used for drinking water so if the wind goes away for a day or two I don't mind, I don't need a backup water or pwer to keep the flow going.

Thanks !

« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 12:47:59 PM by (unknown) »

Dutch

Re: wind powered pond/waterfall pump
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 01:31:45 PM »
Hi Ian,

May be the designs in the website give some inspiration;

http://www.pondmill.com/index.htm

Succes!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 01:31:45 PM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 02:47:52 PM »
Is this is a decorative pond?

If so, have you considered making a functional scale model of some historical design and working it into the decor?

Like maybe a prarie-style patent windmill (which was typcially used for pumping) if your pond is western/rural themed, or a holland style (ditto) if it's a manacured tree-lawn-flowergarden?

« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 02:47:52 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 03:47:13 PM »
I am investigating solar powered pumps right now.  The best thing may be marine bilge pumps.  They're readily available, run on 12V DC, heavy duty and some have servicable parts.  I'm new to solar (and ponding) so am still deciding if it's economical to run a system that needs ~250 amp-hours per day.

--Dean
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 03:47:13 PM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 05:15:23 PM »
The best thing may be marine bilge pumps.  They're readily available, run on 12V DC, heavy duty and some have servicable parts.

They also don't foul easily when pumping water with crud in it.

But most of them DO make noise - quite a bit of it.  (It's a feature - lets you know you're leaking and will eventually sink if ONE MORE system fails.)  And they aren't REALLY intended for long-term continuous duty.  (If your bilge pump is running continuously it can't keep up and you're about to sink.)

But they are intended to be very reliable given those constraints (since if they get used at all they are protecting tens of thousands of dollars of boat, and maybe human life, from an immediate threat.)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 05:15:23 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 06:16:18 AM »
actually that is exactly what I want. I have found lots of references to them, but no instructions on how I could make one.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 06:16:18 AM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 08:42:42 PM »
Maybe you could go visit one and take measurements and pictures.  (There's a small one at a tourist attraction near my nevada place but I don't think I'll be able to get to it any time soon.)

I can describe roughly how they work.  (Rough because I've learned a lot about what to look for since the last time I saw one up close.):

- I think the blades are conical and bent out of sheet metal.

- Shaft has either a crank or a gearbox that drives a crank, depending on model.  (I believe the gearbox models are for deep wells, the stright crank for shallow ones.)

- Crank pulls a pipe or rod up and down.

- Rod drives the shaft of an ordinary hand pump, down in the middle of the .  (I haven't seen it operating but I think the idea is that the handle also moves, providing a counterweight to the shaft down the well and a manual backup for calm days.)

- I think there's some bar-from-mill-slides-through-hole-with-crossbar-to-keep-it-from-pulling-out-upward type mechanism just above the pump, so when the mill stops due to lack of wind you can work the handle without wasting manual power spinning the blades.

- Furls by swinging the tail sideways until it's parallel with the blade.  I think the hinge axis is vertical and there's a spring return (rather than the tilted axis and tail weight designs typical here.  You can force it to furl from the ground to stop the mill for maintainence or to conserve your well when you have enough water.

Proper term is "patent windmill" - implying there are historical patents with drawings and descriptions.  (Some of the designs are so old, though, that it's more the original meaning of "patent" - a monopoly grant from the king for reasons not necessarily related to inventing a device.)  That was a LONG time back so they probably won't be in any free internet patent databases.  But you should be able to order them from the patent office or one of the patent search services.

Maybe somebody else can come up with some good pix or drawings with details and dimensions.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 08:42:42 PM by (unknown) »

gibsonfvse

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 12:02:20 PM »
And for Dutch windmills, I found a site packed with information just the other day:

The Dutch Windmill

« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 12:02:20 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 12:02:03 PM »
I have a mechanism to power a small water pump from the wind ( costs about $10 to make) but I don't have a small water pump. If you know where to get a small mechanical water pump then I can put the two together and let you have details. Any ideas on where to get one ? Needs to work like a bicycle pump but be about the size of a hypodermic syringe.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 12:02:03 PM by (unknown) »

kurt

• website
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 05:45:44 AM »
a simple scalable water pump can be found here

http://www.fdungan.faithweb.com/well.htm
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 05:45:44 AM by (unknown) »