Author Topic: Alternators into lincoln electric 225ac  (Read 879 times)

maz

Alternators into lincoln electric 225ac
« on: January 14, 2005, 02:46:44 PM »
I wanted to feed 2 alternators into the input w/o regulators to get 220v and use the alternator to step down to 225a.  I can obviously use the alternators with dc easily but i want to try and limit the current with the buzz box.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 02:46:44 PM by (unknown) »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
Re: Alternators into lincoln electric 225ac
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 10:44:58 AM »
you don't say whether your intended alternators are single phase or 3 phase, i anticipate you are talking of automotive alternators which are 3 phase.

you cannot feed them direct to the welder, because the welder needs ac power,

you would have to do away with the rectifiers, then synconize them to get them in phase with one another, then feed the welder ( assuming it is a 3 phase welder, which is unlikely)

lastly there is a concern with frequency, even if you can take care of all the other requisites, you will have to limit the frequency to around 50 to 60 hz. Most automotive units operate far above this range.

then of course there is an issue of efficiency, welders of this class arent noted for efficiency.

there are likely better options than what you propose

bob g

« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 10:44:58 AM by (unknown) »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member