Author Topic: Questions about the Trace SW4024 Series II and A/C generators?  (Read 1482 times)

(unknown)

Hello all,

I am currently looking at buying a SW4024 Series II for off the grid application. I don't fully understand if the unit can accept AC power from a generator and still retain start capabilities for the generator. What I mean is the manual explained that when the batteries get to a preset limit the inverter will trip the generator start features but it's all relating to DC generators. What I want to know is will it treat AC the same? The way it reads is that I will have to plug an AC generator in as if it was commercial grid power. The inverter would then charge the batteries thinking my generator was grid AC. If this is the case would it still trip the generator to charge even if it's thinking it's grid AC?

Thanks

Eldergamer

« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 09:56:26 AM by (unknown) »

fishfarm

Re: Questions about the Trace SW4024 Series II and
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 06:46:49 AM »
I have an SW4024 built in 1999, so I don't know what's different about a "Series II". I can tell you that my 4024 has 2 AC inputs, a grid input (AC HOT IN 1) and a generator input (AC HOT IN 2). I have a 12.5kW AC diesel generator wired to AC HOT IN 2 and the generator auto-start circuit (DC control voltage, 12V in my case) wired to relay RY 7. The inverter starts the generator based on battery voltage (you can select the parameters), and the inverter battery charger charges the battery bank. I am off grid so there is nothing connected to AC HOT IN 1. Your generator must have auto-start capability and all the protective features for unattended operation.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 06:46:49 AM by (unknown) »

halfcrazy

Re: Questions about the Trace SW4024 Series II
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 06:51:39 PM »
yes the sw plus will control ac generators you need a generator start module that xantrex sells for around 100 bucks then the programming is pretty straight forward right by the manual. it has a ac1 and a ac2 in the 1 is grid power if you have it and the 2 is the ac generator. the programming end is the same as the older sw pretty much the only real difference is you have to have the external relay module. I am currently running a pair of the sw pluses off grid here in maine and love them.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 06:51:39 PM by (unknown) »