Author Topic: Steam control  (Read 6109 times)

harley1782000

• I thought so too.....
Steam control
« on: May 08, 2010, 11:17:24 AM »
Ok, I have search the internet and here.  I have come up with the three common valves that control the steam injection.  

1 -> Bash Valve
2 -> Check valve used in reverse
3 -> Read switch with a solenoid valve.

Now the check valve and the bash valve work in the about the same mannor. Witch one is the best?????

I would think that the solenoid valve would be the best with the read switch.  On the fact you have some more timing options with it. Give some input.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:19:23 AM by harley1782000 »

greenkarson

Re: Steam control
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 02:58:02 PM »
been experimenting with air and steam lately.  Currently using a check valve now with a little modification.  Basically just added a push rod to the plunger part of the check valve to hang down so the piston can push open the check valve.  I believe check valves are bash valves just one of the ways of making one.  the benefit of these is that they pretty much set there own timing.  Ive been wanting to try solenoid valves myself but i doubt there longlevity. The proper steam solenoid valves are expensive. but Ive wanted to try using 2 at the same time one to let steam in another as a exhaust valve 

harley1782000

• I thought so too.....
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 06:15:29 AM »
I have a intrest in steam too.  I am just wondering if a seloniod valve from a dishwasher would work.  I have an old one that has one on and it held back 75 psi water.  So I may try that and see what happens.

harley1782000

• I thought so too.....
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 08:26:33 AM »
Well I played around with the solenoid valve off of the dishwasher and it held back 145psi.  I clamped it down and manually open and close the valve with a drill batt.  I left it get very hot for a long spray.  No physical damage that I can see to the valve.  Took it apart and looks good inside so far. 

Jim

spinningmagnets

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 09:31:16 PM »
You might consider the type of slide-valve that was common on antique locomotives. I once considered making an experiment were a threaded rod has teflon washers on it to form the shapes needed.

eigenmorph

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 09:17:59 AM »
Some diesel injection systems use a solenoid valve. One example is on the Isuzu 4JX1 engine. Hydraulic pressure amplifies the signal from the solenoid and injects diesel. Similarly, double beat poppet valves on certain steam engines balanced out most of the load so that the valve gear didn't have to do so much work.