Author Topic: K55 ceiling fan motor  (Read 39089 times)

rustkolector

Re: K55 ceiling fan motor
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2011, 11:46:19 AM »
Thanks and, no, I don't build these for a living. I have always wanted to build working model engines, but I never had the time, or the tools to do it until retirement.

Jeff

bj

« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2011, 05:35:04 PM »
   Jeff   That is simply awesome.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

12AX7

« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2011, 10:11:25 PM »
Thanks and, no, I don't build these for a living. I have always wanted to build working model engines, but I never had the time, or the tools to do it until retirement.

Jeff

Okay,  why not?  build them for a living?   How many hours do you have in it?   any pics of the building process?

gotta ask, whats your next project?

rustkolector

« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2011, 11:00:18 PM »
Why not? I guess because it is a hobby, and I want it to stay that way. And, since I am not an experienced machinist I have to take my time. This model took 18 months of part time work to build and another 6 months of tinkering to get it running like the real ones. Building a scale model invariably creates additional problems that take time to sort out. Just figure the volume of a hypothetical cylinder and then scale it to 25%, and see how well the volume scales. Similar issues with flywheel inertia, fuel vaporization, ignition shorts when 18,000 volts gets too close to scale components, etc. Getting a model running well can sometimes takes a long time. These challenges can be fun, but can also be exasperating at times. That's where forums like Fieldlines.com can be so helpful. 

Jeff

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2011, 12:37:22 AM »
Looks GREAT Jeff!

As long as it is a hobby, it stays fun.
Fun is good.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

rustkolector

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2013, 11:35:32 AM »
Hi Again,
A year and a half ago I learned a lot on this forum about building a PM alternator from a ceiling fan motor. My thanks again to all who contributed to my success with this little project. A more recent video of this model engine project is show here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5yUtb7baOk

I have another new and similar project and again need a little advice. I want to build a smaller PM alternator using a 3.3" dia standard D624 fan motor stator. The motor I am looking at is 230v, 0,4A, 1550 RPM. I am looking for a 15-25 watt 12vdc regulated output at about 375 RPM. One motor manufacturer advertises the D624 frame as a shaded pole design motor. Not sure about other manufacturers designs. My question is, will the shaded pole design hinder using this stator as a PM alternator? Thanks for any insight.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2013, 09:37:52 AM »
I'd use Lexan window! it is amazing to see the internals running!
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!