Author Topic: Schumacher 2 kW inverter [SOLD]  (Read 4904 times)

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
Schumacher 2 kW inverter [SOLD]
« on: September 21, 2010, 10:51:44 PM »
I have a Schumacher ProSeries PSI-2000 2 kW 12 volt inverter I'm selling.  I have five of these inverters - one in my farm service truck, one in my RV, one powering my shop office, and two in my house.  This one powered the kitchen subpanel in the house since I bought it on Jan 30, 2010.  It didn't have quite enough power to run the 'fridge, microwave, coffee maker on brew, and crock pot when my wife had everything fired up.  So I recently replaced it with a new 3 kW AIMS Power unit.  It has never been outside or installed in a mobile application - still looks like brand new.

This inverter has 16 months of the two-year warranty remaining on it, is built by a company that's been in business since 1947 (Don Schumacher Racing), and is not a cheap, junk inverter.  While designed primarily for mobile applications, these inverters work superb for residential or off-grid power as well.  This is the inverter on DSR's website:
http://www.batterychargers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=94026785

This inverter does NOT have a hot neutral - it has a neutral ground/bond inside the inverter, and built-in GFCI.  I've measured its idle power draw at .67 amps @ 13.5 volts (~9 watts).  Full load power draw is 176 amps @ 12 volts nominal.  The inverter is $150 plus shipping and the owner's manual and a copy of the original sales receipt comes with it for warranty purposes.

If interested PM me or email me  - my email address is in my profile - email preferred and send me your phone number so I can call you and arrange shipping, etc..

This is some photos of the thing:

--
Chris
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:07:29 PM by TomW »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Schumacher 2 kW inverter
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 11:48:05 AM »
Modified sine wave? How well does it run motors? I like the gfci part. That's smart thinking by the designers.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 01:21:26 PM »
Modified sine wave? How well does it run motors? I like the gfci part. That's smart thinking by the designers.

Yes, it is modified sine wave.  Sorry, forgot to mention that.

This inverter powered our kitchen subpanel since last January when I bought it.  The transformer in the microwave buzzes but it doesn't seem to affect the microwave's operation otherwise, other than the digital clock on it would "drift", which I think is pretty common with any modified sine inverter with digital clocks.

It also ran both our freezer and 'fridge for all that time - the AC amp draw on both is the same on inverter or genset power so they don't seem to care about the modified sine wave.

Since this inverter was mounted on the wall in the garage I also plugged into the other receptacle on it to power the garage subpanel to run my air compressor, bench grinder, drill press, hand drills and saws, and lights in the garage.  It ran all that stuff fine except for the bench grinder.  It would not start the bench grinder motor.  That is a 3,450 rpm motor with no capacitor start on it.  Interestingly, if I would turn on the drill press first, then the bench grinder would fire right up and run fine.  Then I could turn off the drill press and the bench grinder would continue to run and I could use it.

I have no clue why it wouldn't start that bench grinder motor but I suspect it's because it isn't capacitor start.  I also have no clue why turning on the drill press first would allow it to start and run the bench grinder.  But that's the only real "problem" I ever had with it.
--
Chris

dnix71

• SuperHero Member

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 07:03:03 PM »
For reference, that's about half the price of new.

Yes, like I indicated in the post, a copy of the original sales slip comes with it for warranty purposes.  I paid $189.99 for it brand new from a local Schumacher dealer that buys them by the semi load and sells them in stores all over the Midwest.  So they get a lot better deal on them than other outfits that don't handle as many of them.

These inverters are extremely popular with farmers around here for their in-field service trucks because they're so tough.  The one I have in my farm service truck is five years old, has been sprayed with hydraulic oil, diesel fuel, anhydrous ammonia, used to run engine heaters to get diesels started that are sitting out in the field bone cold at -20 F, been pressure washed, dried out and it still works.

Since these things came out, nobody buys portable generators anymore for their service trucks.
--
Chris

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 11:49:14 AM »
This inverter is sold.
--
Chris

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus