Author Topic: Aladdin Lamps  (Read 2388 times)

freejuice

Aladdin Lamps
« on: November 13, 2010, 10:27:02 PM »
While its not electric, I have  been dabbling in those aladdin kerosene lamps lately.
 They are the mantle types, and give off the light of about a 50-60 watt bulb without any flickering. good enough for a "medium" size room.
 I like them much better than a coleman latern, no pumping, hissing pressurized fuel involved...nice and quite.
 The two I have are model 11's, made between 1921-1928...over 70 years old and still work like champs!
 Good deal when the battery bank drops down!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 10:33:55 PM by freejuice »

12AX7

Re: Aladdin Lamps
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 11:02:52 PM »
We have several Aladdin lamps,  all purchased at antique stores.   
They are great to have on had for emergency back ups.  Over the years also have picked up several "hurricane" types,  also nice to have on hand.
I'd not want to burn "standard" kerosene in the house,  but instead Aladdin's K-1 brand kerosene.   cost's a bit more but less odor.

There are claims that the paafin type fuels may plug up the wicks,  but we've not had these problems.  However, we have found that these fuels tend to leave a film everywhere.  Some of the house plants have suffered. 

freejuice

Re: Aladdin Lamps
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 11:50:46 PM »
Hi 12ax7,
I was speaking with my dad today about the aladdin products ( because I remember an aladddin kerosense heater he had when I was a child)
 Well, he had it in England when he was stationed over there, and had it shipped home.
He said they use to run a pink parrifin through it and it didnt have a greasy feel like kerosense had...he said it was like water..after a little searching I found out it was a form of distilled kerosense.
I'm also using K-1 without the red dye.
 I have heard through internet scuttlebutt, that some lamp oils...probably like the aladdin brand oil is similar.
 At this point I dont have any odor problems with K-1 clear Kerosense..but I wouldn't mind playing around with the aladdin lamp oil too, for a little comparison testing.
 Thanks for your comments!