Author Topic: cold solar panels  (Read 581 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
cold solar panels
« on: December 31, 2010, 11:19:18 AM »
I would like some help in finding solar panels. Since there are several types of solar panels manufactured by different people I would like to ask if there are any of them that cannot with stand cold temperatures. There will be times at my house when the temp will be below -35 for up to 30+ days. Sometimes it goes from -30 to +30 in 24 hrs. Then back down to below zero. I just do not want to spend $$$$ for broken panels. Is there any type of solar panel that I should maybe stay away from? I plan on getting them in 2012. Most of them say yes they are OK but the experience on this board is a better reflection of reality. Back into the sticks in 2012.
MntMnROY 13

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: cold solar panels
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 12:45:46 PM »
The output on some panels goes way up in the cold. That's a consideration when buying an mppt to go with the panels. You need to know the Voc at -30C (I hope C not F) so when it gets that cold the string voltage won't blow your mppt/inverter.

Snow loading might be a problem. But at the latitudes that get that cold you should have the panels on a high slope to catch the sun anyway.

thirteen

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 01:55:39 AM »
One of my problems is that during the middle of the winter I will only have about 2 1/2 hrs of direct sunlight. There is a large mountian that gets in the way. My elevation will be 4000 ft , I do not have good southern exposure. In the summer it is fine. I hope to put the half the panels on poles about 7 ft off the ground  and some on my roof. I'll hate to cut down the trees but about 20 of them will have to go. A soft brissiled broom should do the trick taking off snow.
It is -30 F. .  USA middle panhandle near Grangeville, Idaho 83530. Just west of Missoula, Montana.
Well my clock says Happy New Year everyone. 
MntMnROY 13

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 04:26:48 PM »
Grangeville looks pretty flat even by Florida standards. Nothing to slow or stop the arctic express from Canada. -30F is brutal. Car batteries would freeze, your tires would get flat spots diesel turns to gel.

Yeah I can see how you might be worried about panel problems. You might want to email a prospective panel seller and ask how well the solder strips between cells handle contracting in that kind of cold.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 08:18:55 PM »
I know people where it gets that cold, and colder, who have has solar up for more than 2~3 winters.  They had no problems I am aware of.
A couple people have PVs in Calgary, where it gets below -40.

The expansion characteristics would concern me in the mounts vs. frame, more than the solder joints in the panel.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

thirteen

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 09:11:07 PM »
No insult intended just some information. I have to drive up to 6200 ft to drive down to 4000 ft there is barely enough flat ground for the house. The last 7 miles into the property is a 4X4 single lane road and takes about 1 1/4 hours to drive in, you cross two creeks (streams) and cannot drive out for around 3-4 months each winter because of the snow.  No cell phone service, no tv, no street lights, no traffic, nearest neighbor 3/4 mile away, a creek that runs 20 ft in front of the house alot of trees and wild life. No water bill, no paying the power company $200+ per month. I will be heating with wood and doing most of my cooking with wood. Alot of trees. Just some generl information on my land.
MntMnROY 13

thirteen

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
Thank you for the information given I will use it.
MntMnROY 13