Author Topic: Just finished my solar water heater 2 days ago... (Image heavy)  (Read 47520 times)

jondecker76

Re: Just finished my solar water heater 2 days ago... (Image heavy)
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2011, 12:51:03 PM »
Having another great, sunny day.  With about half of the solar day gone, its going to be another 50,000+ btu day.  Today was another first for me - I saw a new high sustained output of 9360 BTU/hr! (over 2.7 KW)
I'm beginning to wonder if I'll see some 10,000+ BTU/hr numbers as the summer gets under way!

Today should be my first day over 120 degrees in the tank (the kids have been having friends over a lot, and doing more stuff outside so it seems like the shower has been being used constantly) and as shower usage returns to normal, we should start seeing 15 degree net gains per day (after all showers and heat losses)..  So I need to find a use for excess heat soon..  I'm really starting to consider building a simple  zeolite-water cycle chiller to heat up every night for a little extra cooling in the house (I run some very large Frick amonia refrigeration compressors at work so I'm very familiar with refrigeration cycles. While an ammonia-water adsorption chiller would be great for home, its just too risky for my family to have pure amonia at the house. I may even consider using silica gel in place of the zeolite, as I can probably get it free from work when we replace the desiccant in our air dryers every few months. I can also borrow our portable evacuation pump from work to evacuate the system before charging with water, it has no problem pulling well over 29"hg and only weighs about 75 lbs) Time will tell with this though, as I have a ton of projects needing to be finished!  I'm very confident that it would work well though

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2011, 02:31:43 PM »
Howdy neighbor!
44420, but nothing here to see.
Majority of my work is around 44062.

I am tinkering with a solar water distiller.  New concept (I think) that will solve the problems that I believe need solved.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

jondecker76

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2011, 07:25:47 AM »
A few updates:

Heat Loss: Last night at 7:00pm I completely bypassed the solar water heater (to make sure any hot water usage wouldn't ffect the test).  From 7:00PM to 7:00AM this morning, tank temperature went from 130.5 to 127.7.  My heat loss for 12 hours is 2.8 degrees with the tank at 130 - about 2.15% -- not too shabby!  This should translate to about 3.5 degrees per 12 hour peroid at the max tank temperature of 160 degrees.  I wonder how this compares to toher's tanks?

Stratification:  Wow!  The changes that I made to the return piping have made an enormous difference in my tank stratification.  At the very end of the day, the temperature at the bottom of my tank is still 12 degrees colder (where it was just 2-3 degrees cooler when the collector returned into the vapor space of the tank). I do believe that this is helping my collector efficiency on 2 accounts: 1) Lower collector temperature means lower heat loss through the glazing and 2) Greater collector <-> Water differential for faster and more efficient heat transfer while in the collector.  Drainback has still been 100% reliable with the new standpipe return system.  I'm going to try to make a stratifier tube within the next week to see if I can improve it even more.

Energy Monitor:  The controller's built in energy monitor has been so accurate, that It can accurately calculate the pumps flowrate by using the calculated BTU and pump runtime.  I may turn this into an auto-calibrate feature in teh future!

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2011, 10:11:26 AM »
Hi Jon,
Good data -- thanks!

This is the info on my tank loss:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Experimental/PEXColDHW/HeatLoss.htm

With the improvements its about 3.5 F for 24 hours.

Also interesting results on the stratification.
You can get a rough idea of what the lower collector inlet temp is gaining in efficiency with this calculator:
http://www.builditsolar.com/References/Calculators/Collector/ColEfic.htm
If you mixed all the water up in the tank, then the average temp at the bottom would be 6 F warmer.
For 50F ambient, and going from 110F avg absorber temp to 116 F average absorber temp in full sun, I get
efficiency going from  50.3%  to 52.3%  -- so, about a 2% gain in efficiency going from no stratification to 12F stratification.
Certainly worthwhile if there are not other costs.
This is using the efficiency curve for the Heliodyne Gobi with flat black absorber.

Oddly, I checked the stratification on my tank for the full day yesterday, and it started a bit over 10F and stayed that way all day right through the collection period -- not sure what's going on as in the past it would typically start with some stratification in the morning, and then lose most of it once the collector pump started up.   Yesterday was full sun and the pump was running all day with a good increase in tank temp, but the stratification stayed the same all day.
Only thing I can think of that changed is that there is a little more air gap between the return tube and top of water than there used to be.  Puzzling (but good :)

Some time back, Nick and I had a go at trying to do a tube that would introduce water into a stratified tank at the same temperature level as the incoming water.  We did not do too well, but the testing we did might be helpful to you:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Experimental/GreyWaterHX/gwinbarrel.htm
This was for a grey water heat recovery project, but the problem is basically the same.

Gary

jondecker76

« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2011, 03:38:17 PM »
I just crossed 140 degrees!  I should end out the day today somewhere around 142-143, this is very exciting that I can now officially scald myself with free hot water :)

More observations:
- Its becoming very easy to see the decrease in efficiency with the higher temperatures.  For example, when I was around 115 degrees, the pump would first kick on at about 9:30AM.  My max calculated output at 115 degrees was 9500 BTU/hr.  Starting today at 130 degrees,  the pump would not come on until about 10:20AM .  The max calculated output that I saw today was around 7800 BTU/hr.
- For the reason above, the system has some built-in overtemperature protection.  By the time I get to the max tank limit I have set (160 degrees), there will be less hours per day with this kind of solar energy available and less efficiency of the collector - on top off having higher daily storage losses. I'm curious to see how difficult it will become to reach and/or maintain 160 degrees in the tank.
-If I had the opportunity to do some things all over again,  I would have liked to experiment with some simple solar tracking designs for the collector.  My calculations show that tracking would have provided around 18% more output, which is quite a lot.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:05:11 PM by jondecker76 »

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2011, 08:42:08 PM »
When you hit maximum tank temperature I hope you don't hit the problem I had with the solar on my swimming pool. The panel is 50 square metres of  butyl rubber micro pipe (total length about 1.5km) connected to PVC extruded manifolds top and bottom (10m long each). The whole lot sits on 40mm of expanded polystyrene and is covered with tunnel house plastic film to prevent heat loss due to wind effects

With no water flowing through it to keep it cool and in the middle of summer 50 square metres collects a lot of heat - enough to melt all the PVC fittings that the butyl rubber micro pipe connects to. Cost the insurance company over a grand to get it all replaced :(

To fix the problem I've changed the way the plastic film cover is fitted so there is now a vent space at the top and the top manifold (the one that melted) gets a bit of fresh air on it to keep it cool.

Interesting problem to have though, as when I overrode the controller I had 65000l of water up to 40C which you will find hard to get into never mind swim in!!
Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2011, 11:35:47 AM »
LOL Jeez Frackers - Guess there really IS a such thing as too much... ;)

And Jon - The 45 batteries to store the juice... No doubt! That's why DHW is so cost effective. Water by far uses the most energy in terms of heating (for what you get out of it anyway, ie shower etc). Good to see you're getting good efficiency with it now too. I'm watching carefully; you guys are paving the way for the design on my system. I'd bet I cut the electric bill by a third around my way based on how much water we use!  :o

So all said, and forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but what's your grand total that you have in on all this so far? Panels, tank, plumbing, pump, etc etc.

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

jondecker76

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2011, 08:38:28 PM »
Tank temperature today is at 148 degrees!  This is after a couple showers were taken today as well.  Soon, i'll have to start recirculating the system for a while at night to wast some heat out until I find another use for excess heat this time of year.  The amazing thing is, the collector is oriented for maximum output in fall/winter/spring, so I'm excited to see what the absolute maximum output is in those months.

frackerst:
I shouldn't have any problems with the high temperatures - everything in the collector is copper and the polyiso insulation i've used everywhere is good to over 400 degrees.  All other plumbing is PEX so that should be fine as well.  The EPDM liner is rated for 180 degrees, so i'm limiting my temperatures to 160 degrees for some good safety margin.

Madscientist:
Gary has done so much research in this field (and has been good enough to share it!) and its really hard to go wrong with his proven work.  I have about $2500 into my system, but keep in mind that I'm terrible at finding bargains and I made a few costly mistakes along the way.  I'm sure I could have built this easily for $1500-$1800 if my scrounging skills were better, if I had looked for the best deals, and if I hadn't make any costly mistakes. I also have realized a few design flaws in my setup (flaws meaning I didn't strictly follow Gary's design). Some of these "flaws" have been negative, but some have actually been good in some ways.  If you're going to make your own system, here is my list of things I wish I would have done differently:
1) Do as much research as possible.  Unfortunately, I have never found a good beginners tutorial that covers everything that needs considered, the information IS out there, its just spread out a lot!
2) Stick to having 1 sqFt of glazed collector for every 2 gallons of water storage.   My system has over 3 gallons of water for each square foot of collector, and that makes it a little "sluggish" in that it can only raise my storage by about 30 degrees per day.  Ideally,   You want to position yourself to where you can heat your tank up from well temperature, to working temperature in a day or two.  Mine took 5 days to get to 120 degrees... Though on the flip side, it takes longer for me to drain all the temperature out of my storage tank, so it will hold temps over several cloudy days.  Still, I wish I would have went with a 2:1 ratio
3) I built my collector serpentine style (vs. parallel riser tube style)..  I still prefer the serpentine design, but wish I would have used smooth sweeping 180 degree "U" bends, vs doing mine with all 90 degree elbows.  The elbows will reduce your flow a lot.  Because of my use of elbows, my water flow is about 50% less than I would have ideally wanted, but its still in the recommended range..  Also, especially with serpentine designs, its especially important to pay attention to drainback.. Mine doesn't drain back as well as I would have liked.  I wish I would have spent more time laying out the pipes in the collector!
4) I built my tank with the idea of having 2" of insulation..  If I were to rebuild my tank, I would have planned for 4" of insulation, and would have went for a 4'x4' footprint, and the tank 6' tall (taller tanks stratify better, which makes the system more efficient). After the external perimeter reinforcements, this would make for a 280 gallon tank (though this means more collector area would be in order, somewhere around 140 sqFt).
5) Double glazing!  I did single glazing on mine and I'm still kicking myself..  I may still add a 2nd pane, but its kind of low on my priority list..
Also,  I wish I would have researched tempered glass vs polycarbonate glazing...  I still haven't found much information, but after I realized that I couldn't measure absorber temperature with my IR gun, I got to thinking....  The gun doesn't measure absorber temperature because the glass blocks IR.  I wonder how much more efficient my collector would have been with polycarbonate, which doesn't block IR - or if it makes any difference at all??  This would be a very interesting test to see, and one I would perform if I had both the time and money to do so.
I chose glass for its high durability and temperature resistance - which is great.  But if I were to find that polycarbonate gave 5-10% better performance, I may have changed my mind...

Other than that,  I'm pretty happy with mine.  I'm sure everyone that has built one of these types of systems has their own hindsight list, but in the end realistically there is probably less than a 10% difference in efficiency between a perfect system, and any of the home built systems of this style, so its all probably wasted energy worrying about much more than the basics :)  But it sure is fun!

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2011, 07:28:15 AM »

frackerst:
I shouldn't have any problems with the high temperatures - everything in the collector is copper and the polyiso insulation i've used everywhere is good to over 400 degrees.  All other plumbing is PEX so that should be fine as well.  The EPDM liner is rated for 180 degrees, so i'm limiting my temperatures to 160 degrees for some good safety margin.

Glad to hear you've got the panel covered for over temperature. Just done a recalculation on my system and its not 1.5km of butyl rubber micro pipe but 4.2km - 60 sections of  14 pipes in each section. 5m from top to bottom. The butyl is fine, the PVC is a PITA as it goes soft at 80C & I know I've been well over 100C under the cover before the mk3 redesign!!
Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

Madscientist267

« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
Glad to hear it. Sounds like you're at least all about learning from your mistakes! ;)

$2500 isn't bad at all from what I can tell. Surely will pay for itself LONG before a PV system of the equivalent collection/storage capacity would! But electrons are sooo much cooler!  ;D

What's the effect of the double glazing? I understand it would increase the insulation factor, but by what degree you figure?

No pun intended... LOL

You're probably right though about hunting down handfuls of percentages, but OTOH, I've found that they can really add up... In my PV system (only '60' W) for example, an 'ideal' diode replacing a schottky here, a couple hundred mA standby shaved there (eliminated inverter for laptop use), tracking vs. static mount, heavier wire where practical, and so on.

It all really does add up, and in my case won me about 25% of my original losses back. 10 watts of saving doesn't sound like much until it's understood that the panels only can put out 45 predictably (and less actually when it's really hot) - getting that 10 watts back almost covers the usage that the laptop I'm typing this on is using! ;)

I absolutely LOVE it when the dump LED is on - means there's nowhere else for the juice to go, and I can connect something else!  :D

Might be worth it to chase them down, just depends on hassle and cost. But for 2500 bucks, I guess you couldn't go wrong at all! The 'conventional' water heater is running less, right? ;)

There's always 'Rev B'.

Steve

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2011, 10:48:34 PM »
Was at "Ollie's" and saw something axial like the radial stratification idea I had.
Looked something like a metal toilet float, with a couple/few hundred holes around the diameter, window screen inside, connects to a garden hose.
Not nearly as 'heavy duty' as a toilet float.

Ace Hardware has one that looks similar, "gentle soaker", item #72273.  #14907?
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-90335684517677_2160_94873239

"Once I can get my hands on some 1" copper pipe scraps, I plan on adding a 1"x1 1/2" step-up"
All CU?  That'll cost as much as a house payment!
I am experiencing copper sticker shock, and the AL alternatives actually cost more for my project.
G-

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2011, 10:21:51 AM »
Was at "Ollie's" and saw something axial like the radial stratification idea I had.
Looked something like a metal toilet float, with a couple/few hundred holes around the diameter, window screen inside, connects to a garden hose.
Not nearly as 'heavy duty' as a toilet float.

Ace Hardware has one that looks similar, "gentle soaker", item #72273.  #14907?
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-90335684517677_2160_94873239

"Once I can get my hands on some 1" copper pipe scraps, I plan on adding a 1"x1 1/2" step-up"
All CU?  That'll cost as much as a house payment!
I am experiencing copper sticker shock, and the AL alternatives actually cost more for my project.
G-

Hi Glen,
Sounds interesting -- can you say how it works?

The Shurcliff book has a couple of ideas for returning heated water to a storage tank at its own temperature level:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Experimental/ShurcliffPart5/s50.htm
and
http://www.builditsolar.com/Experimental/ShurcliffPart5/s51.htm

For anyone who has not seen Shurclif's book, its a dandy:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Experimental/ShurcliffPart1/TOC.htm
Gary

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2011, 10:42:51 AM »
"can you say how it works?"
Nope!
In my head, it is the same operational concept as the horn.  Slow the velocity down as much as possible, minimize turbulence, and the water should set up a smooth natural convection to its own temperature level in the tank?
G-

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2011, 02:22:21 PM »
2) Stick to having 1 sqFt of glazed collector for every 2 gallons of water storage.   My system has over 3 gallons of water for each square foot of collector, and that makes it a little "sluggish" in that it can only raise my storage by about 30 degrees per day.  Ideally,   You want to position yourself to where you can heat your tank up from well temperature, to working temperature in a day or two.  Mine took 5 days to get to 120 degrees... Though on the flip side, it takes longer for me to drain all the temperature out of my storage tank, so it will hold temps over several cloudy days.  Still, I wish I would have went with a 2:1 ratio

I'd be inclined to go with the flip side.  Sure it takes longer to get it hot.  But that's a once-only.  Then you just have more storage for "sun outages".

Only downsides I can see is the added expense of the bigger tank and the SLIGHTLY higher loses through the larger area (which aren't a real issue if the tank is in the space to be heated).  Also, a bigger tank means you don't have to rehack the tank if you add more collector area.

I wish I would have researched tempered glass vs polycarbonate glazing...  I still haven't found much information, but after I realized that I couldn't measure absorber temperature with my IR gun, I got to thinking....  The gun doesn't measure absorber temperature because the glass blocks IR.  I wonder how much more efficient my collector would have been with polycarbonate, which doesn't block IR - or if it makes any difference at all??  This would be a very interesting test to see, and one I would perform if I had both the time and money to do so.
I chose glass for its high durability and temperature resistance - which is great.  But if I were to find that polycarbonate gave 5-10% better performance, I may have changed my mind...

Blocking (far) infrared is GOOD.  It traps the heat in the collector so more of it is harvested.  This creates the greenhouse effect.

Virtually all of your solar energy is in the visible, near infrared, and near ultraviolet, which the glass passes.  This is absorbed by the collector surface.  Then a bunch of it is immediately re-radiated at the temperature of the collector, which corresponds to a thermal distribution centered in the far infrared, which the glass reflects.  This gets reabsorbed.  Essentially the only way out for the energy is to work its way by conduction through the collector to the heat transfer fluid or through the box to the outside air.  Meanwhile the near infrared is a tiny fraction of the incident energy.  Switch to something that passes infrared at room-to-boiling-temperature frequency bands and the down-converted energy flies away, to be absorbed by water vapor (or droplets) in the atmosphere.

So the glass plus the black body acts like a diode to capture the energy.  Just what you want.  But far-infrared transparency gives you ratiative coupling to the upper atmosphere, which is colder than ground-level conditions and takes more heat than it gives back.

I'm not sure what polycarbonate's far-infrared transparency is like.  But if you can read the temperature through it, it's letting much of that nice down-converted energy back out.

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2011, 04:20:09 PM »
Hi Lighting,

"I'd be inclined to go with the flip side.  Sure it takes longer to get it hot.  But that's a once-only.  Then you just have more storage for "sun outages".

Only downsides I can see is the added expense of the bigger tank and the SLIGHTLY higher loses through the larger area (which aren't a real issue if the tank is in the space to be heated).  Also, a bigger tank means you don't have to rehack the tank if you add more collector area."

--> The problem with having too much tank in solar space heating applications is the tank spends an awful lot of time at temperatures that are too low to be useful.  The 2 gal per sqft is based in the idea that for a typical home and collector area, the collectors will collect and store heat all throgh a sunny day and 2 galons per sqft of collector is enough to store one full sunny day of heat.  Then during the night and morning of the next day, typically the house will use all of the stored heat, so the tank is back down to discharged at 80F or so.    So, there is no real benefit in having more storage than one days worth of sun UNLESS your house is really really well insulated and has a very low heat loss, or you have a ton of collector area and can generate more heat that your house can use in one day.   Living in a warmer climate also reduces heat loss and might make more storage worth it.  I've heard from people who put in larger tanks and end up actually running them part full so that they get up to more useable temps more often. 

For solar domestic water heating, I think you can make more of a case for a larger tank as long as you have the more collector area to go with it.  That is, if you only have enough collector to satisfy you family daily demand on a sunny day, there is no point in having more than one day of storage, but for solar domestic water heating its releatively easy to build in some excess collector area so that on a sunny day, you can make more than one days worth of hot water and have that hot water for a following cloudy day (or 3).  This does require more storage because you are saving up as much as a day or two worth of extra hot water.  But, its critical that you have enough collector to more than meet your family demand on a sunny day -- else there is no excess to store away.
Anyway, That's my 2 cents :)

"I wish I would have researched tempered glass vs polycarbonate glazing...  I still haven't found much information, but after I realized that I couldn't measure absorber temperature with my IR gun, I got to thinking....  The gun doesn't measure absorber temperature because the glass blocks IR.  I wonder how much more efficient my collector would have been with polycarbonate, which doesn't block IR - or if it makes any difference at all??  This would be a very interesting test to see, and one I would perform if I had both the time and money to do so.
I chose glass for its high durability and temperature resistance - which is great.  But if I were to find that polycarbonate gave 5-10% better performance, I may have changed my mind..."

"Blocking (far) infrared is GOOD.  It traps the heat in the collector so more of it is harvested.  This creates the greenhouse effect.

Virtually all of your solar energy is in the visible, near infrared, and near ultraviolet, which the glass passes.  This is absorbed by the collector surface.  Then a bunch of it is immediately re-radiated at the temperature of the collector, which corresponds to a thermal distribution centered in the far infrared, which the glass reflects.  This gets reabsorbed.  Essentially the only way out for the energy is to work its way by conduction through the collector to the heat transfer fluid or through the box to the outside air.  Meanwhile the near infrared is a tiny fraction of the incident energy.  Switch to something that passes infrared at room-to-boiling-temperature frequency bands and the down-converted energy flies away, to be absorbed by water vapor (or droplets) in the atmosphere.

So the glass plus the black body acts like a diode to capture the energy.  Just what you want.  But far-infrared transparency gives you ratiative coupling to the upper atmosphere, which is colder than ground-level conditions and takes more heat than it gives back.

I'm not sure what polycarbonate's far-infrared transparency is like.  But if you can read the temperature through it, it's letting much of that nice down-converted energy back out."

-->  As you say, blocking the IR is good.  Polycarbonate has almost exactly the same transimission spectrum as glass, so it blocks IR as well.   Not all plastics block IR -- polyethylene for example does not.
I think the only way you can go wrong with glass is to end up with glass that has a lowish transmission.  Glass with high iron content has  lower transmission, but I don't know any ironclad way to tell for sure -- the iron is supposed to make the glass more green when viewed edge on, but that does not seem like an easy test to apply.
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/Glazing.htm

Actually, one way to test some prospective glass you have in hand is to do this kind of test:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Experimental/TreeShade/TreeShade.htm
Just put the mystery glass on one of the two collectors and (say) polycarbonate in the other.

I could be wrong about this, but I think that both glass and polycarbonate block the far IR that the absorber radiates  by absorbing it.  This is not quite a free lunch in that the absorbed IR  heats the glazing up some and it looses more heat to the outside air.  It would be nice if instead it just reflected it back to the absorber.
But, either way, its a plus.

Jon -- I think you have done a great job of trying some new and well thought out ideas -- there is always a little risk in this, but it certainly helps other people who build the system down the line.

Gary

jondecker76

« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2011, 01:39:11 PM »
Thanks a lot guys, that answers some of the questions that I was having.  I'm going to do some additional research on the near/far IR radiation as its important to me to understand the basic principles as much as possible!

We've had quite a bit of cloudy/rainy weather, and the kids have had visitors all week, so we've been using the shower way more than normal.  For this reason, the highest temperature I've seen in the tank so far is 146 degrees, and we've been staying above 135 degrees for the most part.  This is perfectly acceptable for me, as we run our electric water heater at 120, and since initially crossing 120 degrees in the solar tank, we've never dipped back below that - so its essentially been providing 100% of our hot water.

The extra tank volume has done a good job getting us through a cloudy day or two, though it does still feel a bit sluggish.  Thats ok in my case, as we are only using this for hot water, Though, I may try some space heating depending on how fall/winter/spring numbers fall (my collector is tilted from maximum collection late in fall/early in spring)  I guess there are a couple of ways to look at the collector area vs. tank size argument, and it appears to be very dependent on each individual's goals and situation.

I'm still making daily controller revisions/improvements, and keeping a close eye on what settings work best.  Money has been a bit tight, so I haven't gotten a chance to do some the things I want to experiment with, but it will come in time.  I've been busy trying to scrounge a couple of 55 gallon plastic barrels for a grey water heat exchange system, but not having a lot of luck yet.  I do have a very good practical idea on how to sort "cold" grey water and "warm" grey water (which is why I need 2 tanks - a cold tank and a warm tank, with a heat exchanger in the warm tank). Hopefully I'll find the barrels soon.  A good grey water heat recovery will provide me the greatest increase in overall system efficiency, so its something high on my list of priorities.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2011, 03:07:05 PM »
55 gallon barrels at the local car wash.  Soap comes in them.
They have some smaller sizes too, 'wax', spot free rinse, engine/wheel cleaner, etc comes in them.

Also, try the local dry cleaners.

Some smaller places are VERY happy to give them away (AKA: get rid of them for free).
G-

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2011, 01:06:48 AM »

"I'd be inclined to go with the flip side.  Sure it takes longer to get it hot.  But that's a once-only.  Then you just have more storage for "sun outages"."

--> The problem with having too much tank in solar space heating applications is the tank spends an awful lot of time at temperatures that are too low to be useful.  The 2 gal per sqft is based in the idea that for a typical home and collector area, the collectors will collect and store heat all throgh a sunny day and 2 galons per sqft of collector is enough to store one full sunny day of heat.  Then during the night and morning of the next day, typically the house will use all of the stored heat, so the tank is back down to discharged at 80F or so.    So, there is no real benefit in having more storage than one days worth of sun UNLESS your house is really really well insulated and has a very low heat loss, or you have a ton of collector area and can generate more heat that your house can use in one day.

Suppose two gallons per square foot takes one day to "charge" it from 80 to 140 in your sun conditions.  If you're not "discharing" it after the first day, it gets to about 110 after the first day and 140 after two days.

Suppose two gallons per square foot has gotten to 140 and one night of heating your house runs it down to 80.  With the same collector it runs only down to 110 in one night and gets "charged" back to 140 on the following day.    So you only get below 110 if you have a day with "no sun".

Now a bad heating day with the two gallon per square foot storage means the night has no heat.  But a bad heating day with the four gallon per square foot tank mean the house heating is working from the cooler half of the storage for several days, doing a second-day-of-discharge type cycle until the storage has accumulated enough extra power to make up what got lost in the two days of discharge.

Of course if the tank stratifies well and the pick up coils are in the top of it, the day after the second night of "discharge" with no day of charge will show
you how to contact

MattM

« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2011, 06:37:57 AM »
Separating hot and cold layers using a second tank to concentrate hot water should make sense.  But you could probably accomplish the same thing by using two tanks, one smaller than the other.  Use the smaller tank to run the hot water heater and to heat the second tank when it reaches a threshold.   The smaller temperature delta in the larger tank can provide thermal energy for heating.  You don't need a huge thermal delta to make home heating viable.

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2011, 10:36:43 AM »

"I'd be inclined to go with the flip side.  Sure it takes longer to get it hot.  But that's a once-only.  Then you just have more storage for "sun outages"."

--> The problem with having too much tank in solar space heating applications is the tank spends an awful lot of time at temperatures that are too low to be useful.  The 2 gal per sqft is based in the idea that for a typical home and collector area, the collectors will collect and store heat all throgh a sunny day and 2 galons per sqft of collector is enough to store one full sunny day of heat.  Then during the night and morning of the next day, typically the house will use all of the stored heat, so the tank is back down to discharged at 80F or so.    So, there is no real benefit in having more storage than one days worth of sun UNLESS your house is really really well insulated and has a very low heat loss, or you have a ton of collector area and can generate more heat that your house can use in one day.

Suppose two gallons per square foot takes one day to "charge" it from 80 to 140 in your sun conditions.  If you're not "discharing" it after the first day, it gets to about 110 after the first day and 140 after two days.

Suppose two gallons per square foot has gotten to 140 and one night of heating your house runs it down to 80.  With the same collector it runs only down to 110 in one night and gets "charged" back to 140 on the following day.    So you only get below 110 if you have a day with "no sun".

Now a bad heating day with the two gallon per square foot storage means the night has no heat.  But a bad heating day with the four gallon per square foot tank mean the house heating is working from the cooler half of the storage for several days, doing a second-day-of-discharge type cycle until the storage has accumulated enough extra power to make up what got lost in the two days of discharge.

Of course if the tank stratifies well and the pick up coils are in the top of it, the day after the second night of "discharge" with no day of charge will show
you how to contact

Hi Lighting,
I'm not really following your example, but let me try it another way.

My Solar Shed system  ( http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/SolarShed/solarshed.htm ) which heats the house has 240 sqft of collector and about 410 gallons of storage -- so its 1.7 gallons per sqft.
I've been running it since 2005.  It seems to me that if the storage was too small I would have a lot of occasions where the tank would get up to very high temps because there was more solar to harvest than the tank would hold.  But, it almost never does -- through the winter it tends to get up into the 120F to 130F area with strings of good sun.   Even a week of solid sunny weather rarely pushes it about 130F in mid winter because the house heat loss is enough to take it back down each night.  The only time I see high temperature that would indicate I could use more storage is in the fall when we get lots of sunny weather and the ambient temps are still fairly mild, so not much space heating is required.  In these circumstances, the tank will get up to 160F ish.  But, even for this limited case, more storage would not really help a lot in that the system as it is can provide nearly all our heat demand during this 'easy' time of year. 
My house could be better on heat loss, but it was built in 96 to Montana code, and we have since put in more insulation, thermal window treatments, and worked on infiltration, conditioned crawl space, so while its not up to Passive House standards, its probably well above average.

I actually started out with more like 500 gallons of storage, but I did not like the heat loss I was getting, and decided to add 2 inches of insulation inside which cut the volume down to around the 410.  I thought this might show up as a problem with too little storage, but it has not.

The right level of storage does of course depend on each situation -- a very well insulated home in a milder winter climate that has a lot of collector area would likely benefit from more than one nights worth of storage.  Its fairly easy to get an idea of how your typical winter heat loss compares to what your collectors can harvest by 1) estimating heat loss with this: http://www.builditsolar.com/References/Calculators/HeatLoss/HeatLoss.htm  -- just change the "design temperature" do an average winter temperature to get a typical daily heat loss.   Then 2) compare it to what your collectors will produce on a sunny day -- a rule of thumb is that a good collector on a sunny day might deliver about 800 BTU per sqft of panel to the tank.  You can then compare the typical daily winter heat loss to the solar gain on a sunny day and see if your collectors actually produce more than your house needs.

I know there is a temptation to think that you can't have too much storage, but larger tanks are more expensive to build and more expensive to insulate and they lose heat faster and they are slow to get up to useful temps if for some reason they get cooled down, and, to my way of thinking, you suffer all these disadvantages without gaining any advantage.  That's my 2 cents :)

Gary

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2011, 12:38:15 PM »

you how to contact

Sorry about that last paragraph.  I got interrupted and didn't notice it had gotten trashed.  Should have read something like:

Of course if the tank stratifies well and the pick up coils are in the top of it, the day after the second night of "discharge" with no day "charge" will heat the top of the tank and leave the bottom cool.  So the night after the first "charging" day you'll still see the high temperature and get a normal night's heating.  You just won't have a second full day of backup until the surplus from a few days of good sunlight "charges" the rest of the tank, driving the boundary layer down to the bottom of the tank.

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2011, 01:04:27 PM »
Hi Lighting,

My Solar Shed system  ( http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/SolarShed/solarshed.htm ) which heats the house has 240 sqft of collector and about 410 gallons of storage -- so its 1.7 gallons per sqft.
I've been running it since 2005.  It seems to me that if the storage was too small I would have a lot of occasions where the tank would get up to very high temps because there was more solar to harvest than the tank would hold.  But, it almost never does -- through the winter it tends to get up into the 120F to 130F area with strings of good sun.

You're assuming the behavior of the tank is to mix and the tank top temperature to gradually rise as heat is added.  If it's stratifying well, that's not what I'd expect to happen.

Instead (simplifying by assuming constant sunlight rather than the daily variation) it heats at the top and a boundary layer of hotter water gradually moves downward toward the inlet.  The temperature difference between the top water and the bottom water is the temperature rise of one pass through the collector, controlled by the sun angle, the collector size, and the flow rate from the pump.  Once the hotter water from the top makes it down to the outlet to the collector, the panel gets the hotter water, raises it by another increment of temperature, and the process repeats with a new boundary layer propagating downward.  So the temperature at the top rises in steps as each heating cycle completes.  You don't see the higher temperature of the second step until you've "fully charged" the tank to the first step temperature - one panel-heat-rise above the bottom temperature after a night's usage.

Of course because the sun angle is changing the temperature rise in the panel increases over the morning.  So the boundary isn't sharp.  Instead the panel's outlet temperature gradually rises over the morning and you see a continuous distribution of temperature as the heated water moves downward in the tank.  If you're looking at the temperature at a particular level, you'll see this as a climbing temperature and may believe the whole tank temperature is rising.  (In the afternoon the sun is failing.  Eventually the temperature rise measured at the top levels out as the not-so-heated water enters/sinks below the level of the sensor.)

(Now if your pump is running fast enough that the temperature rise is small in one pass and the tank's water circulates several times in  a day, you go through several of these cycles even with a well-stratified tank.  A gradual rise of the whole tank's temperature becomes a good approximation.)

The point I'm trying to make, though, is that with a slow circulation of water and a stratified tank, a reasonable amount of extra capacity is essentially just some backup, not a handicap that leaves your house cooler for days after a dim day.  So there isn't much point, if you've built your tank a little oversize, of trying to shrink it or replacing it with something smaller.

Extra insulation, though, IS good (even if it is INside and reduces your capacity), assuming the tank lives in an unheated space.  It reduces your heat loss.  So if your panel is a tad small and your remaining storage water is adequate for a night, the reduced heat loss is a gain all the time and a penalty only after a sunless day.

(Or at least that's how I THINK it works.  Haven't done this yet myself...)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:09:46 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

jondecker76

« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2011, 05:27:37 PM »
Ungrounded Lightning Rod:

My setup pretty much mimics your description, so I'd say that at the very least, you're pretty close.

Either way, Ideally, I would have stuck with a larger tank AND more collector area - the more the better with these types of systems! (it doesn't cost that much more to make larger, and you can always shut pumps down and/or waste some excess heat if you have to)

Regarding the rise in tank temperature measured at a single point,  I have proven it to be a reliable and accurate method.  I compare daily the manual tank temperature rise calculation with the BTU tracked by the energy monitor on my controller - they are pretty much always within 5% of each other, even with decent stratification in the tank!

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2011, 08:53:57 PM »
Hi Lighting,

My Solar Shed system  ( http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/SolarShed/solarshed.htm ) which heats the house has 240 sqft of collector and about 410 gallons of storage -- so its 1.7 gallons per sqft.
I've been running it since 2005.  It seems to me that if the storage was too small I would have a lot of occasions where the tank would get up to very high temps because there was more solar to harvest than the tank would hold.  But, it almost never does -- through the winter it tends to get up into the 120F to 130F area with strings of good sun.

You're assuming the behavior of the tank is to mix and the tank top temperature to gradually rise as heat is added.  If it's stratifying well, that's not what I'd expect to happen.

Instead (simplifying by assuming constant sunlight rather than the daily variation) it heats at the top and a boundary layer of hotter water gradually moves downward toward the inlet.  The temperature difference between the top water and the bottom water is the temperature rise of one pass through the collector, controlled by the sun angle, the collector size, and the flow rate from the pump.  Once the hotter water from the top makes it down to the outlet to the collector, the panel gets the hotter water, raises it by another increment of temperature, and the process repeats with a new boundary layer propagating downward.  So the temperature at the top rises in steps as each heating cycle completes.  You don't see the higher temperature of the second step until you've "fully charged" the tank to the first step temperature - one panel-heat-rise above the bottom temperature after a night's usage.

Of course because the sun angle is changing the temperature rise in the panel increases over the morning.  So the boundary isn't sharp.  Instead the panel's outlet temperature gradually rises over the morning and you see a continuous distribution of temperature as the heated water moves downward in the tank.  If you're looking at the temperature at a particular level, you'll see this as a climbing temperature and may believe the whole tank temperature is rising.  (In the afternoon the sun is failing.  Eventually the temperature rise measured at the top levels out as the not-so-heated water enters/sinks below the level of the sensor.)

(Now if your pump is running fast enough that the temperature rise is small in one pass and the tank's water circulates several times in  a day, you go through several of these cycles even with a well-stratified tank.  A gradual rise of the whole tank's temperature becomes a good approximation.)

The point I'm trying to make, though, is that with a slow circulation of water and a stratified tank, a reasonable amount of extra capacity is essentially just some backup, not a handicap that leaves your house cooler for days after a dim day.  So there isn't much point, if you've built your tank a little oversize, of trying to shrink it or replacing it with something smaller.

Extra insulation, though, IS good (even if it is INside and reduces your capacity), assuming the tank lives in an unheated space.  It reduces your heat loss.  So if your panel is a tad small and your remaining storage water is adequate for a night, the reduced heat loss is a gain all the time and a penalty only after a sunless day.

(Or at least that's how I THINK it works.  Haven't done this yet myself...)

The tank on my Solar Shed (the 410 gallon one) is well mixed -- it sometimes starts the day with some stratification, but within a short time of the collector pump starting, the whole tank is at the same temperature -- I've had as many as 3 sensors in the tank at different levels and once the collector circulation gets going the tank becomes well mixed.  This is common in these kinds of systems -- a number of people have told me that their systems behave the same way and go to a mixed state once the collector circuit gets going. 

I have seen exactly the type of layered stratification you describe in my smaller system, in which a layer of about 10F hotter water starts at the top, and gradually works its way down the tank over a period, and I've even seen the 2nd layer start when the first layer got down to the pump inlet -- pretty fascinating.  I actually had a sort of odd thing happen once where I noticed that at the end of the day, the system was actually cooling the water off as it went through the collector, but the differential controller had not turned the pump off.  Turned that what was happening was that the pump inlet was a bit above the position of the sensor for the differntial controller, so the pump inlet was in the hotter water layer that was working its way down the tank, but the differential controller thought it was still pumping out the cooler water at the bottom.  Drove me nuts trying to figure this out, but that's when I discovered the hot layer starting at the top and working its way down -- I took a temperature sensor and just gradually lowered down the tank, and there was a pretty distinct drop in temperature at the bottom of the warm layer over a pretty short distance.

I'm not sure why the one tank stratifies more than the other -- probably just the details of the pump inlet and collector return.  The bigger tank also has a somewhat higher flow rate per sqft of collector, so that may also mix things more.

I don't disagree that you don't have to get the amount of storage exactly right, and that having a bit extra is OK, but my experince is that the the 2 gallons per sqft of collector already has some margin in it -- its (I think) a pretty generous storage sizing rule for homes that use the stored heat overnight. 

Gary

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2011, 11:06:47 PM »
Guys with equipemnt to record data and stratification could try the ideas to increase stratification.
I mean, it can't hurt anything to see what it does.  Anything is better than nothing?

Shurcliff's and my ideas are exactly the same.  IMHO.
He proposes a giant cone full of chicken wire.
I proposed a... cylinder with a few feet of nylon window screen?  Maybe a horizontal 4~6" PVC 'T' with the side port as small as possible (1")?
It would be cheaper and simpler to try it my way.   ;)
Even a 3% increase would be good bang for the buck.  Especially in the snow belt.

Seems like 4~6" off the bottom for the hot return, and 1/2" off the bottom for the cold to go out would be good?
Also seem like reducing the input velocity around the ports would help make sure the coolest water was being heated.  1/2" CU pickup pipe with a horizontal 1" T would be a pretty good?

Waiting for today's numbers.  "Sure was a good day for it here" he said while stinking of rancid sweat.
G-

rossw

« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2011, 12:50:48 AM »
Guys with equipemnt to record data and stratification could try the ideas to increase stratification.

OK, more grist to the mill.

My tanks were commercially fabricated, they're steel tanks made as big as could fit through the house to get to the boiler room, then lagged and clad in-situ. They're 2400mm high by 1100mm dia. I make that as 2,280 litres (500 imperial gallons, 600 US gallons) each.

They have a heat-exchanger coil in the bottom (18m of cu pipe), and another 18m exchanger in the top. (Bottom for heat in from genset, boiler, whatever, top for DHW). They have several other ports for other purposes. Hydronic heating most notably.

I *TRY* to keep the water stratified so I can have maximum DHW. "luke warm" might help heat the house, but its not much good for taking a shower.

We've had several days of poor or no useful sun. This morning, my DHW was down to 52.2 deg C (126F) when the sun came out and I started to collect some solar heat at 11am. The solar hot water enters the tank 800mm down from the top of the tank. By 13:30, the water had risen to 63.6 deg C (146.5F).

Water was leaving the tank 100mm up from the bottom of the tank at 33.5C (92.3F) and returning at 5 litres/min at 63.6C (54.2F rise). I estimate my solar collector was seeing around 7kw(th).

The water in the tank was 63.6C/146.5F (top), 46.5C/115.7F (down 600mm), 44C/11F (down 800mm), 43.5C/110F (down 1900mm) and 33.5C/92.3F (down 2300mm).

While I agree in principle that adding *heat* to the tank is a good thing, if it causes mixing of the water and temperatures below "useful" temperature (in my case, it's really not useful pumping water through the floor if its less than 40 degC) then it's probably of negative benefit.

I can't retrofit stratification tubes or similar devices to my tanks because they're welded shut, and I don't want to drain them for obvious reasons. The entry 'ports' are mostly 1 1/4" which means that relatively low flow rates enters the tank sufficiently slowly to cause minimal disruption.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2011, 01:27:35 AM »
"I can't retrofit stratification tubes or similar devices to my tanks because they're welded shut"
I did not expect anyone would chop up a system for an experiment!

I was thinking someone could reach (WAY) down in the tank and put on a diffuser...
which would be a project best attempted after several consecutive rainy days.
G-

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2011, 09:54:37 AM »

[/quote]

While I agree in principle that adding *heat* to the tank is a good thing, if it causes mixing of the water and temperatures below "useful" temperature (in my case, it's really not useful pumping water through the floor if its less than 40 degC) then it's probably of negative benefit.

I can't retrofit stratification tubes or similar devices to my tanks because they're welded shut, and I don't want to drain them for obvious reasons. The entry 'ports' are mostly 1 1/4" which means that relatively low flow rates enters the tank sufficiently slowly to cause minimal disruption.
[/quote]

Hi Ros,

For space heating, I don't see stratification as providing any benefit.  If the sun heats the tank during the day up to (say) 120F, and then that night you use the down to where the tank is 80F, then you have used 100% of the available heat.  Even if the sun only heats the tank up to 82F during the day, and you use it down to 80F, you have used all the heat that was harvested.   I can't see how any stratification scenario would allow you to use more than 100% of the incoming solar energy?  Am I missing something?
Saying it another way, if the tank is at 80F in the morning (discharged), and during the day you get (say) 100K BTU of solar energy added to the tank raising its mixed temp up to 110F, then that night you use the heat in the tank back down to 80F.  You have delivered every single one of those 100K BTUs to the house as heat -- I don't see how you do any better than that with stratification?

There is a bit of benefit is the tank is stratified during the collection period because the average absorber temp is a bit lower, so the collector runs a bit more efficiently, but that is all I see as the advantage of stratification for space heating?

I'm not argueing against stratification, and I'll try one of Glen's suggestions next time I have the cover off the tank, but I'm not really seeing anything but a small efficiency bump for the space heating application.

For domestic water I guess there are scenarios where a stratified tank can have part of the tank that is up to a useable temperature for showers before the rest of the tank has warmed up, and that seems like a plus.

Gary

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2011, 01:55:22 PM »
For space heating, I don't see stratification as providing any benefit.  If the sun heats the tank during the day up to (say) 120F, and then that night you use the down to where the tank is 80F, then you have used 100% of the available heat.  Even if the sun only heats the tank up to 82F during the day, and you use it down to 80F, you have used all the heat that was harvested.   I can't see how any stratification scenario would allow you to use more than 100% of the incoming solar energy?  Am I missing something?

If the sun heats the whole tank up from 80 to 120 degrees and by 2 AM you've used half the heat and you tank is NOT stratified, the whole tank is at 100 degrees and that's what you're pumping into your baseboard radiators (or what-have-you).  You have to run your pump twice as much to stay warm as you did just after sundown.  By dawn, when the need for heat is greatest, the efficiency of transferring the heat from the tank is lowest.

But if the tank stays stratified, by 2 AM you have the bottom half at 80 and the top half, where you're pulling the heat for distribution, is still at 120.  You "discharge" your storage in layers and still have efficient heat transfer until the cool water makes it most of the way up your transfer coil (or to your outlet if you're using the storage fluid directly.

So stratification saves you pumping power and enables you to transfer more heat in a given time when you need it.

jondecker76

« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2011, 10:57:20 PM »
I will be doing some stratification tube tests pretty soon myself.  I have all the parts I need (2" CPVC pipe and Tees) so I'm just waiting for some time.  The simple 1/2" to 1" "diffuser" tee I'm using now about half way down the tank seems to be working quite well, as I generally have 12-14 degrees of stratification even after a full day of the pump running.

Had an interesting day today with my system...  There was a light, hazy cloud cover all day (almost gloomy looking) -  pretty much not a bit of direct sunlight all day long, but today was one of my best collection days yet!  I was so surprised that I had to double check temperatures with a manual thermometer.  Was this the same effect where you get sunburnt really easy on days like this, despite not having pure direct sunlight?

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2011, 09:50:04 AM »

If the sun heats the whole tank up from 80 to 120 degrees and by 2 AM you've used half the heat and you tank is NOT stratified, the whole tank is at 100 degrees and that's what you're pumping into your baseboard radiators (or what-have-you).  You have to run your pump twice as much to stay warm as you did just after sundown.  By dawn, when the need for heat is greatest, the efficiency of transferring the heat from the tank is lowest.

But if the tank stays stratified, by 2 AM you have the bottom half at 80 and the top half, where you're pulling the heat for distribution, is still at 120.  You "discharge" your storage in layers and still have efficient heat transfer until the cool water makes it most of the way up your transfer coil (or to your outlet if you're using the storage fluid directly.

So stratification saves you pumping power and enables you to transfer more heat in a given time when you need it.

Hi Lighting,

I think we are getting down to working academic issues that really don't have much application to real world systems, but...

The problem of having to deal with a heat demand that does not match the temperature of the water in the solar tank is something that every solar heating system has to deal with -- very often the available heat from solar simply won't be enough to meet the heat demand for the house.  The regular heater and solar heater heat distribution systems have to be able to handle this on an almost daily basis.   What you want is a solar heat delivery system that is simple and does not end up wasting any of the collected solar heat.
Another thing to bear in mind is that the system that distributes heat to the house will also effect the temperature profile of the tank.  In mine, water that goes to the house floor is taken off near the top of the tank, and returned near the bottom of the tank about 10F cooler -- so, even if you could start with this idealized 120F top half and 80F bottom half, the bottom won't stay at 80F unless your floor loops have an extrodinary 40F drop.

Gary

Madscientist267

« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
At the risk of well, many things, something comes to mind here regardless of the potential losses involved, it still might be better.

Ross' design using two coils in the tank (or more if it were homebuilt, etc) provides as close to perfection in terms of solutions for the striation issue. If I understand his layout correctly, the tanks serve as a heat exchanger, with 'oh yeah, I can store heat too' factor inherent in so much water being present.

If that's the case, and the water in the tank doesn't ever leave the tank, and the heat only enters/exits through the exchange coils, the disturbance in the tank (in terms of striation) would be at the minimum, methinks.

Bringing the source of heat in at the bottom has multiple benefits, even though the 'double' heat exchange will cause an efficiency loss. When your goal is to get the hottest water out as possible, even though there may be less 'gallonage' to harvest from (thinking in terms of as if the heat were 'compressed') due to striation, then the efficiency hit seems worthwhile since the goal is better heat transfer elsewhere (ie floorboards). By the time you're ready to use the heat, you don't care so much about the efficiency of the original harvest (ie from panel to storage), because that's already behind you. You want the maximum efficiency getting from the tank to the living space. Am I right?

That being said, the losses could be made up for elsewhere, with a bigger panel etc, and you wouldn't be the wiser when it comes time for the thermostat to kick the pump on.

This seems to be a 'total heat' vs 'effective heat' debate, meaning that depending on the use, striation may or may not be the best idea.

It would seem to me that for DHW preheat, striation isnt as necessary. But for 'thats my only DHW source' or for space heating, striation would be paramount, it seems.

So, the moral of my little story here is, for the latter two, wouldn't it be best to do everything possible to eliminate mixing, even if this takes place under the precedent of reduced overall efficiency due to the extra heat exchange?

Then, larger than 2gal/ft^2 storage might be more viable. IMO.

For DHW preheat, just return the heat to the top (ish) of the tank and call it a day, not worrying so much about the striation.

Yes? No? Shut the #311 up, Steve?  ;D

My $0.02 FWIW

Steve

rossw

« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2011, 11:21:40 PM »
Ross' design using two coils in the tank (or more if it were homebuilt, etc) provides as close to perfection in terms of solutions for the striation issue. If I understand his layout correctly, the tanks serve as a heat exchanger, with 'oh yeah, I can store heat too' factor inherent in so much water being present.

If that's the case, and the water in the tank doesn't ever leave the tank, and the heat only enters/exits through the exchange coils, the disturbance in the tank (in terms of striation) would be at the minimum, methinks.

ok, I knocked out a very quick-and-dirty diagram. Now that I can see what a mess it is, I'm going to redraw it with a little more attention to actually being able to *read* it.

Green: hydronics in-floor heating
Red:  domestic hot water
Blue: domestic cold water
Yellow: solar water heating
Magenta: generator cooling/furnace heating

3454-0
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 04:53:36 PM by rossw »