Author Topic: Concrete Canvas  (Read 8975 times)

zap

• There's an app for that
Concrete Canvas
« on: June 11, 2011, 09:21:06 AM »
It appears that this stuff's been around awhile... I'd never heard of it.
All kinds of possibilities with this I would think.
http://www.concretecanvas.co.uk/

A video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRF965uZI1Q&feature=related

Boss

• http://outfitnm.com
    • Outfit Renewable energy site
Re: Concrete Canvas
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
not the prettiest building material.
Maybe if someone used it somehow more ergonomically? :D
Brian Rodgers
My sustainable lifestyle site http://outfitnm.com no ads, not selling anything either

hydrosun

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 02:47:21 PM »
I thought I was the only one using this technique.  In Ken Kern's book Owner Built housing there is a short paragraph on the use of this material for low  cost housing in India. They put up a frame work of steel or wood. Burlap was tied over the frame, wet and then dried to shrink. A cement slurry was worked into the fabric to create prestressed concrete. The frame was then taken out to be used again. The one inch shell was the entire structure.  In 1985 I took that idea to create an underground house. I used rebar as the curved frame and left it in the three one inch layers of concrete. Layers of plastic and styrofoam are then covered with dirt for a living roof.  I've been living in it since 1986.
 I've since used old rugs as the underlying material. The cement attaches to the nap of the rug to make a strong reinforcement. It doesn't shrink so it isn't under tension like burlap. My woodshed roof is make with this material. Then a sheet of plastic and dirt on top. All the roofs include some curves for a stronger structure with thinner shells and less material.
 The canvas material they are selling comes pre impregnated with cement. I used material that allowed the wet cement to wick through the material to bond with it. I like using the old rugs that I can salvage from carpet stores as a strong reinforcement that also acts like the forms for any shape you want.  Using rebar as the frame allows extra strength.
This technique is comparable to stucco on a steel mesh, except you don't need  a backing material .
chris

Rover

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 04:29:57 PM »
Oh my G.. they shot a watermelon ... oh the disrespect , the agony... just ain't right.

ok.. back to the thread...:)

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

Cyrcle

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 10:16:25 AM »
Kind of like ferrocement.

KraigM

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 11:35:47 AM »
Looking at that site, I wonder why they keep the plastic inner-liner? Would the concrete not hold out water? This technique reminds me of paper mache except on a larger scale. They basically blow up a half-dome shape and have the material already affixed to the blow-up material.
Kraig -living off the grid

Cyrcle

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 11:53:33 AM »
Concrete isn't waterproof, especially when the inevitable small cracks form.

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 12:37:53 PM »
If you've ever been around structural concrete you'll know it takes two, three or more years before its odor and irritation & corrosive properties diminish.

And for residences there are special mortars for interior fireplaces and chimneys that are friendlier to people, furnishings, metals & machinery.

Having it lined makes it occupiable space within days.

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 08:31:30 PM »
The school in Emmett, Idaho 83617 They built their high school buildings (2)  in a dome type. They are called (nick named) the D  ly  P  d  n school. They to my knowledge have had no major problems with their structure.
MntMnROY 13