Author Topic: Generator with ferrite magnets  (Read 137088 times)

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
Re: Generator with ferrite magnets
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 07:32:33 AM »
Hugh's comments make me think of another thing - the size of the turbine.  I think is it probably easier to build a generator with ferrite magnets for a smaller machine because it spins fast.  Speed is pretty important if you want to keep the size and weight down.

Some folks would wonder if you can do this for a 17 foot, and I wouldn't.  Everything right down to the tower is more expensive for the larger size turbines, so you may as well spend the $2,000 right up front on the magnets too.  I have seen the Proven direct drive turbines that have huge ferrite magnets in them, and they are BIG.  And HEAVY!

As I mentioned in an earlier post on direct drives, if I were to build a three phase for a 12 foot turbine, I think I'd do a 20 pole on 20" generator rotors.  So basically, the direct drive three phase, with ferrite magnets would be the same size as an Otherpower 20 foot generator project - for a 12 foot machine.  I'm pretty sure Hugh has plans for an 8 pole on 12" rotors or so, using these magnets I used, and that must be for about a 2 meter turbine, or so.  That would be a fun project too.  I've always believed that the neo magnets are too much for the smaller machines, and they don't really run like they should because they're too "stiff".  And that's a big part of this whole turbine bulding - fun.  It has to be fun as well as practical.  For those folks that are going to drop $2 Grand on magnets for a 17 foot, the fun is gone before the project even gets started.
--
Chris

nconstanzo

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 09:05:42 AM »
       Chris I have enjoyed this project , i was just wondering if  instead of using large ferrite magnet you might get the same affect by using 1/8 thick neo, are even putting  the real thin  neos on one rotor disk and ferrit on the opposite rotor disk although the price is still higher, it would make a much lighter machine.. it seem possible you might get a little stiffer machine .

vawtwindy

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 09:19:02 AM »
now being you announced the result, if it would have been tried with radial, could'nt it produced good result?, because oztules have tried radial approach and have  posted his thoughts too at otherpower site,

from his documents i was thinking it is more copper/less magnet cost.

endless hurdles.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2011, 01:07:27 PM »
       Chris I have enjoyed this project , i was just wondering if  instead of using large ferrite magnet you might get the same affect by using 1/8 thick neo

It think with 1/4" neos you can get about 5,000 gauss in the air gap, vs roughly 2,000 gauss with ferrite magnets, and 6,000 gauss with 1/2" thick neos.  The prices of some of those neo magnets didn't follow with others, the last time I checked.  For instance, 22.5 degree wedge magnets used to be more expensive than the 2 x 1 bars with a hole.  I think the wedges were now cheaper than the bars.  So they raised the price on the more popular ones more than some of the less popular ones.  That was from one of the vendors down in Texas - can't remember which one I looked at.

I've used 1/4" thick wedges before and they have less power in the air gap than 1/2" thick bars (takes more turns).  But they still have more power in the air gap than 1" thick ferrite magnets.  The ferrite magnets sort of make up for the less flux density by more surface area - 4 square inches on these magnets I used, vs slightly over 2 square inches with the 1/4" thick wedges.  The pole area also determines how much turns you have to use.

I don't know about 1/8" thick neo magnets - I have never tried that.
--
Chris

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2011, 01:13:14 PM »
now being you announced the result, if it would have been tried with radial, could'nt it produced good result?

Hi vawtwindy - I built a radial 12 pole with neo magnets about a year ago.  It worked good - as long as I didn't spin it too fast.  I couldn't keep the magnets on the rotor.  It also needed to spin at 900-1,000 rpm and I even tried screwing the magnets to the rotor instead of just pins.  I had two magnets break across the hole when I was testing it, and they still came off.  So I gave up on it and shelved that project.

Possibly for a direct drive, where it would be turning much slower, it would work fine.  I assume that's what Oz built.  If somebody finds the link to his project on that, I'd love to look at it.
--
Chris

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 02:09:17 AM »
Hi folks,

I have concluded this ferrite generator project shown in this thread.  The single phase unit I tested works fine in light to medium winds.  But it is not heavy duty enough, nor does it make enough power, to continue using it on a 12 foot geared turbine.  It is only a matter of time, left unattended when a big thunderstorm rolls thru, and it would go up in smoke.

I have taken it off the turbine and started working on a heavier duty version of it..  I have not gotten anywhere fast with that project.

This generator design I built would probably be more suitable for 8 or 10 foot blades.  That would better match its output capability.  The 12 foot machine can push it well beyond its safe limits.  At first I didn't think it could.  But that became apparent when we had several thunderstorms roll thru with 65-70 mph winds in the last few days.  Big blades driving small generators at their peak efficiency always works good for low wind power.  But if the generator can't keep the turbine under control when things get wild, then you got just that - an out-of-control turbine.  Trying to furl it early, on the raw edge of smoke, has never worked for me.  Every time I've tried that, the smoke eventually got out.

I learned a lot of things from it.  Hopefully I can use what I learned to build a better one that is a closer match to the size machine I am using to drive it.
--
Chris

jlt

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2011, 10:50:57 AM »
The latest prices for noes are a real shocker. I applaud your efforts with chain drives,and ferrite mags.
    I think i will be trying a radial design with ferrite mags. Or a motor with elect-row mags.  I think that ferrite mags work better in an iron core machine.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2011, 01:42:59 PM »
I think that ferrite mags work better in an iron core machine.

I think i will be trying a radial design with ferrite mags. Or a motor with elect-row mags.  I think that ferrite mags work better in an iron core machine.

You may be right on the iron core.  I have pretty much concluded that it takes lots of speed to make up for the weak gap flux.  And these ferrite magnets are heavy (.77 lbs each).  Trying to build speed into a rotating assembly, with magnets on it, that weighs in the neighborhood of 50 lbs cannot be done haphazardly.  It has to be balanced both statically and dynamically or bearing life will suffer.  Attention has to be paid to the forces on the magnets at high rotational speeds or you will have a mechanical explosion from a rotor failure.  Having to equip your wind turbine with an SFI approved scatter shield in the event of a generator rotor failure would not be good either.

An iron core radial with the magnets on an external drum helps alleviate many of these problems as compared to building it in an air core axial design.  The axial design is definitely showing its limitations with ferrite magnets.  My latest experiment throws brute materials at the problem and uses dual stacked stators in a two phase configuration with 90 degree electrical separation, and three rotors.  It was a dismal failure as the generator ended up way more powerful than the neo due to some gross miscalculations (I think) with polyphase vs single phase loading.  There is no way 12 foot blades would drive the stacked unit, as I had it developing 15 amps @ 26 volts @ 135 rpm and it climbs rapidly to 60 amps before 200 rpm.

I am no electrical engineer to be able to understand this stuff but I am reasonably sure it has to do with the polyphase loading that, if you look back in this thread, Hugh posted some pictures about.  From a mechanical engineering standpoint, the dual stator unit would need an automatic transmission that shifts down as generator load is applied to keep the engine running at the right speed.  A two-speed automatic transmission would not be hard to build.  All it would require is using floating gears on the mainshaft with a torque sensing sliding cone clutch to make the speed transition smooth.  Having a wind turbine with an automatic transmission would be cooler than Pam Anderson showing up at a wet t-shirt contest.  But where a single speed gearbox has negligible losses, once you go to two speed there is extra mechanical bits in there.  And only half of them are being used at any one time even though they're all running.  Then your gearing losses become very real.

At any rate, I did not want folks to think this single phase is the "answer".  It is not.  It works pretty dang good - better than I expected.  But it is ultimately too weak for a 12 foot turbine if you have really good wind.

It is one of the most interesting challenges I have tried to date.  But I intend to keep working on it until I come up with something that works for a 12 foot sized machine.  Going huge is simply not the answer from an engineering standpoint.  For example, I figured this out a couple days ago; if you build 20" rotors for a direct drive using 3/8" steel the two bare discs with no magnets or lightening holes weigh 67 lbs.  The magnets weigh .77 lbs each.  40 of them is 30.8 lbs.  The total weight of the rotating assembly for a direct drive turbine with 20 poles is going to be about 98 lbs before you start putting in lightening holes to try to get the weight down.

Building it with 11" x 1/4" rotors, using three rotors with 10 poles in each air gap, and dual stators, the weight of each bare disc is 6.73 lbs.  With the magnets the entire rotating assembly weighs about 51 lbs, and then you can put in some lightening holes.

I have searched and searched and I cannot find any example to go by in any of the homebrew plans or books.  The only thing really available to look at are commercial designs.  Most of those are radial iron or laminated electrical steel core when used with ferrite magnets.  I have not found any writeup on the internet from anybody that has built a 12 foot turbine with a direct drive, axial, air core ferrite generator to see what it actually took to make it work.  So when you're going where no man has gone, claiming one design is "better" than another is absurd unless you got the proof and the hours on it on a tower to back it  up.  When I finally get this to work, and I will, I will probably be the only one around that will ever do it.  But at least that proof and hours on the tower to back it up will then exist.
--
Chris

artv

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 05:03:25 AM »
"I had it developing 15 amps @ 26 volts @135 rpm and it climbs rapidly to 60 amps before 200 rpm"
Hi Chris ,..isn't that exactly what we want??...just need to limit it so it doesn't burn up..
Also "two phase with 90 degree electrical seperation".....does that mean one stator the coils are centered on the poles and the 2nd stator is centered in the space between poles??
It sounds like quite a machine, got any pics of it.........thanks for this thread.....outstanding effort.....artv

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 08:38:43 AM »
those output numbers are very interesting for vertical mills which is my area of interest.

i have found for ceramic mags, 1/4" material is overkill as far as containing the flux.
i have one 14"dia , 1/2"thick ceramic mag 32 pole alternator up now using 3/16 steel backing 
and another   14"dia , 1/2" thick ceramic mag 32 pole alternator up  now using only 22 gauge sheet metal
as a backing
of course i had to laminate it to another material to stiffen it up.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2011, 06:37:35 PM »
The only picture I have right now is one I took of the second stator before I casted it.  On the first stator I solded 8 AWG leads coming out of it.  On the second one I soldered power studs like I have used in the past.  It's just a pretty standard 10 coiil stator and not much to look at.  One coil in it only has 48 turns and the rest have 53 turns because I ran out of wire.  But it works fine.

When I tested it it has the same power curve as the single phase, except times 2.  It reaches about 60 amps total output at 196.  The single phase will reach about 40 amps with the turbine at about 250 rpm, so I suppose the dual stator is going to reach about 80 amps at that speed.  That's way too much because the turbine needs to be running about 330 to have an 80 amp generator on it.

It's a little bit too stiff right from cut-in.  I decided I'm going to put it on the turbine anyway and see what it does.  When I put it all together on the turbine I'll take a whole bunch of photos for people to look at and upload them to my Picasa photo album thing rather than posting them here.

I hesitate to post any photos of it here because dual stator or stacked generator designs are frowned upon as being inefficient, or whatever.  Anybody that ever has posted one has been ridiculed for it and told about how they're wasting magnets.  So for those who want to look at it, the photos will be uploaded to my online photo albums.
--
Chris

scoraigwind

• www.scoraigwind.co.uk
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2011, 05:37:27 PM »
I hesitate to post any photos of it here because dual stator or stacked generator designs are frowned upon as being inefficient, or whatever. 
Chris
It's great to see the energy you throw into this work, Chris, and we are all learning a lot.  However I can't help pointing out that using two alternators in place of one big one is a waste of magnets and copper.  You have calculated that a single big one is heavier.  Yes but steel is cheap.

I struggle to communicate in simple terms what the difference is.  Maybe this is a good way to put it.  Your twin alternator needs to run at exactly twice the speed of one large single one with the same number of magnets and coils.  The slower one would be heavier in steel disks but cost the same for magnets and copper, and have much reduced (half) centrifugal forces.  Or you could run a much smaller disk diameter at your 300rpm cut-in speed using much less copper and magnets.

Anyway, sorry for being so hidebound and boring and going on and on about this little matter.  I do hope that you will continue to entertain us with your good stuff. Keep on stretching that envelope and jumping out of the box.
Hugh Piggott scoraigwind.co.uk

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2011, 08:55:59 PM »
I struggle to communicate in simple terms what the difference is.  Maybe this is a good way to put it.  Your twin alternator needs to run at exactly twice the speed of one large single one with the same number of magnets and coils.  The slower one would be heavier in steel disks but cost the same for magnets and copper, and have much reduced (half) centrifugal forces.  Or you could run a much smaller disk diameter at your 300rpm cut-in speed using much less copper and magnets

Hi Hugh, and I certainly appreciate your insight even though I rarely follow it (that's a private joke between me and Hugh)  ;D

I will outline (or try) my method to madness at the risk of dragging the thread out and getting some folks irate about it.

My ferrite generator weighed in at 78.8 lbs with all three rotors and both stators.  It has 10.5 lbs of 13 AWG copper in it.  It has 30.8 lbs of ferrite magnets.  The rest is steel and fiberglass.  I came to the conclusion, using the information that you emailed me one day with a big diagram of it drawn on my shop floor with chalk, that if I were to build a direct drive the stator would be almost 1/4th the diameter of the rotor blades!

I had some basic specifications that I wanted.  It has to put out 60 amps sustained without damaging it.  I did that in two stators, each one carrying 30 amps of the load.  Admittedly 13 AWG is a bit light for 30 amps sustained, but it will do it OK in the winter time when we get those kinds of winds here because it has good cooling then.  In the summer we get "burst" winds from storms but it is never 60 amps sustained for hours at a time.  So even though the winding is a bit "weak" I think it will work OK.  The alternative was using 12 AWG wire and I have wound stators with 12 AWG before - it is like trying to wind coils with rebar.  It could have been done with two-in-hand 15 AWG, but it would take perfectly wound coils to get them fit.  I opted for the 13 AWG because I had it on the spool.

I used 40 2 x 2 x 1" ferrite magnets in my generator with 10 poles in each section.  If I were to put 20 of those magnets on one disk I could get twice the voltage out of each coil.  However, I am using gearing.  Using 10 magnets (poles) I am getting 2.29x the voltage out of each coil that you can get with the same configuration in direct drive (I ended up using .4375 gearing in the final configuration).

The losses in the gearing system are negligible.  When I built my first unit I tried to measure the losses and it is less than 10 pound inches of torque at full load.  The only loss, really, is in the extra set of bearings on the PTO shaft and those are single row angular contact ball bearings made by SKF in Sweden, which are one of the most free rolling and low friction bearings on earth.  The chain drive is used in everything from road grader final drives to bicycles - it is a proven, efficient system used worldwide in many applications.  Put it in oil and it doesn't even wear out.

By speeding the thing up I can make better use of my 10 magnets than you can using 20 of them on a direct drive that is much heavier and larger.  This also allows me to build a smaller stator with less coils and copper than the big one.  Less coils and copper translates to increased efficiency due to lower resistance and heating losses.  The efficiency gains in the generator more than outweigh the very slight losses in gearing.

Flying the first one in single phase configuration proved that the 10 pole single phase works.  It puts out decent low wind power but is pretty weak when the wind blows harder compared to a polyphase.  By adding the second stack to the generator I basically double the output capacity, which while one unit is not enough for 3.8 meter blades, two units is more than enough.  I skewed the second phase by 90 degrees electrically, am using IRP (Individually Rectified Phase) with the output parallel'd on the DC side of the rectifier assembly.  This gives me the RMS loading of polyphase (not quite as smooth as three phase, but close), double the output capacity, and smooths out the running of the generator because the rotating assembly is loaded at all times.  And the rotors are still 11" diameter and the stators 14" OD.  The stack is just longer on the PTO shaft, which is easier for me to handle than a huge unit.

Side note: I discovered why the ferrite generator does not display the vibration problems in single phase that a neo unit does.  It is because the mass of the rotating assembly is over double.  Just like a heavy flywheel on a single cylinder engine, the energy stored in that rotating mass smooths it out.

I will post one photo here of what it looks like and the rest of them are at this link:
https://picasaweb.google.com/christopher.w.olson/TwoPhaseDualStatorGenerator

This unit weighs 78.8 lbs and meets the specs I wanted.  I estimate that if you were to build a direct drive for 3.8 meter blades it would approach 200 lbs in steel, magnets and copper.  I would invite somebody to do it so we could all see what it takes to build a direct drive ferrite generator to this specification.

So that is it - it is on the turbine, it is on the tower, and it is running.  It was performing beautifully this afternoon when I got the tower up.  It is towards evening here now and our wind had died out (I hate the "dog days" of summer).  But tomorrow it will go back to work and I will log power output from it on a daily basis to see how it compares to the neo generator that I use as the "benchmark".  I fully expect, based on all my testing and experimentation with this project, that it will give the neo unit a good run for its money.  It ended up over twice the weight and twice the size of the neo generator.  It is merely in a different configuration than going bigger around.
--
Chris

12AX7

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2011, 09:48:27 PM »
Amazed.
Impressed.
Humbling.

Now for the god awful busybody nosy questions.

If you were to build an exact duplicate of your Alternator (excluding any mistakes or engineering changes) How many man hours would you estimate?

Do you have a cost estimate?

You've gotta be a "jack of all trades"  but have you (besides online advise) called on anyone else to assist you?

If you're married,  how do you..ummmm   never mind!   I think it's best to skip that one!

Looking thru your pictures I noticed a fishing boat.   Have you taken any "Chris" time and drowned any worms this summer?

Great work Chris!

ax7
Mark

Watt

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2011, 10:11:15 PM »
Chris

" The losses in the gearing system are negligible.  When I built my first unit I tried to measure the losses and it is less than 10 pound inches of torque at full load.  The only loss, really, is in the extra set of bearings on the PTO shaft and those are single row angular contact ball bearings made by SKF in Sweden, which are one of the most free rolling and low friction bearings on earth.  The chain drive is used in everything from road grader final drives to bicycles - it is a proven, efficient system used worldwide in many applications.  Put it in oil and it doesn't even wear out. "

How did you go about testing the overdrive losses?

Thank you
Mike

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2011, 10:15:49 PM »
If you were to build an exact duplicate of your Alternator (excluding any mistakes or engineering changes) How many man hours would you estimate?

Well, you have to make three rotors instead of two.  You have to make two stators instead of one.  For me, where I am set up to slam out a stator when ever I have a nightmare and dream up a new one, it takes about 5-6 hours to do one.  It takes about 5 minutes to wind a coil (20 coils and about 3 cans of beer).  It takes a good hour to wire up one stator and get it ready for the mold.  If it's hot out, that's two more cans of beer.  Then it takes a good hour to lay one up with glass, then it has to cure until the mold cools off, get it out of there and clean it up, drill it, etc..  5-6 hours burnt on one stator.

Rotors - I can slam one of them out in about two hours from cutting it out of a piece of sheet steel, machining it, etc..

Do you have a cost estimate?

Not really.  I only know the 40 magnets cost about $80.  It took 10.5 lbs of copper.  Depends on where you get it, I suppose, but I'd estimate about $100 for copper.  The rest is glass and resin.  Fiberglass cloth and mat is like $3.99 for enough to do two stators, and the resin is about $30.

You've gotta be a "jack of all trades"  but have you (besides online advise) called on anyone else to assist you?

No.  Hugh and flux provided me with endless emails full of information on stuff that I had to digest.  I did not follow their advice directly.  But their advice helped me to understand stuff that I needed to learn and know to be able to make compromises on what I wanted out of this thing.  Their technical information was invaluable in being able to get this thing to work at all.

If you're married,  how do you..ummmm   never mind!   I think it's best to skip that one!

Yes, I am married to a wonderful bride for 26 years and we have two daughters that are both grown and left the nest.  Plus three grandkids.  My grandson studies the mills every time he comes over and tells me everything he thinks is wrong with them.  If you think my designs are nightmares you should see the stuff he comes up with.

Looking thru your pictures I noticed a fishing boat.   Have you taken any "Chris" time and drowned any worms this summer?

My wife and I love to fish for walleye pike.  If you know much about walleye fishing in our Wisconsin lakes here, it is more an evening or nighttime sport than daytime.  It is not like Canada where you can catch walleyes all day.  Our water gets too warm in the summer and they go deep.  So yes, if we get a nice cool evening with a weather change coming in (high pressure to low) we head to the lake and fish for a few hours.  It is very nice.  All the water skiers and jet skis are gone off the lake, all the powerboats with 454 big blocks are shut down and their owners drinking beer on the shore, and if the fish are biting that's a bonus.
--
Chris

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2011, 10:20:20 PM »
How did you go about testing the overdrive losses?

I have a torque motor that I drive generators with to test them.  It is a lot of work to calibrate it and I did not calibrate it to use it for this ferrite generator.  But it can measure changes in torque accurate+/- 5 lb-in.  When I tested that first gearbox, all the big discussion was about gearing losses.  They are there but so small it is not even worth worrying about.  The amount of loss we're talking about is the same as if you use a tapered roller bearing set on a trailer spindle and run a seal or not in the hub bore.
--
Chris

Watt

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Thanks Chris for your reply.  Just curious if you tested the losses with the alternator under load or if you tested the drive unloaded. 

Mike

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2011, 10:53:49 PM »
Thanks Chris for your reply.  Just curious if you tested the losses with the alternator under load or if you tested the drive unloaded. 

Fully loaded.  Back when I tested it I built the generator for it, which was 12 volt at the time.  I ran the generator direct drive and tested it for output and input torque to determine how power efficient it was.  Then I put it on the gearbox and tested it again.  I would have to refer back to my notes when I did that.  But IIRC I was running the generator at 425 rpm and the input shaft at 200 (that original gearbox had .467 gearing).  The losses figured out to like .02 hp, or about 15 watts.
--
Chris

12AX7

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2011, 11:18:46 PM »
Chris, I'm also in WI and I know the woes of fishing with power boats on the lakes.  I don't suppose you're willing to swap wives for a weekend or two?   Mine would NEVER put up with fishing at night,  she'll tell you..  "that's when the bugs REALLY come out".

I've been taking vitamin B1 for a couple of weeks now,  and I've got to admit that I've had few skeeter bites this year than ever before.   I've tried all the "tricks"  and B1 is the only one that's worked for me.

Work, beer, work,beer..   I'm guessing that  you have  your machine shop in your back shed? 

I'd not rule out everything your grandson suggests..   a good source of "out of the box" thinking.

ax7

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2011, 12:05:59 AM »
Work, beer, work,beer..   I'm guessing that  you have  your machine shop in your back shed?

I decided to edit and add some information on the cost because Mark asked a good question about that.  This generator might look big and wasteful and exotic and expensive.  But it's not.  The magnets are $1.99 each.  10.5 lbs of copper at $10/lb is about, say, $110.  The materials to cast the stators is less than $50.  Some folks like to waste money on laser cutting rotors and whatnot.  I just whack 'em out with a torch, weld them to a Weasler Engineering keyed hub, then throw them on the lathe and true them up.  Absolute tops is $10 apiece for the steel in the rotors and the hub.

If you add all this up, I got less money in this entire generator than it costs for just 24 2 x 1 x 1/2" N42 bar magnets at the current price.  And I never have to worry about a magnet corroding because I chipped the nickel plating on one.

It would be fun to build a direct drive one of these things just to see what it would take.  But I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to lift it.
--
Chris
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:49:11 AM by ChrisOlson »

scoraigwind

• www.scoraigwind.co.uk
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2011, 07:30:08 AM »
I came to the conclusion, using the information that you emailed me one day with a big diagram of it drawn on my shop floor with chalk, that if I were to build a direct drive the stator would be almost 1/4th the diameter of the rotor blades!

That's certainly not  fair comparison because the design I did for you was a much heavier duty alternator.  And in any case even if it were a fair comparison, I don't have a problem with weight on the turbine.  A heavy turbine runs more smoothly, and will typically last longer. 

But in the end you will use single phase and low speed blades and a dual stator and springs on your tail whatever I say, and I will use direct drive, 3-phase, large diameter, high tip-speed-ratio, with a gravity tail, because both my experience and my knowledge of the theory of the subject tell me that these are the better design choices.

Hugh
Hugh Piggott scoraigwind.co.uk

ruairihev

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2011, 10:27:39 AM »
Hi Chris,
Very nice work. Just wondering if you ever tried using Neo magnets on one rotor and ferrite on the other rotor, would this have any benifits from a power output point of view? Could the two types of magnets be used to provide a sort of balance between power out and cost in?
Just a passing comment really, maybe you have already answered it elsewhere that I am not aware of.
thanks
ruairihev

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2011, 01:50:33 PM »
A heavy turbine runs more smoothly, and will typically last longer. 

Well, I would have to disagree with that somewhat.  Adding weight in the form of the generator does not improve the longevity of the machine.  Weight added in the form of cross section in critical stress areas, as an example, would improve longevity and durability.  With any machine that has rotating assemblies on bearings, using lightweight high speed assemblies will always provide better bearing life than using low speed very heavy assemblies, using the same set of bearings.

With the homebrew designs, the weight of a ferrite generator assembly is being carried by the wrong (pilot) bearing on the hub.  Besides making the generator very large and heavy a massive upgrade to the hub/spindle/bearing set would have to be made or you would be adjusting bearings every six weeks.  Many people think that because that style bearing is used on a car that is much heavier and whatnot, that a wind turbine is "light duty" for it.  Not so.  In only one year on the tower, a wind turbine will put the wear and equivalent mileage on that bearing set that is considered "end of life" or a service interval in the automotive world.

Further, at the diameter we are talking about here, even a slight amount of "play" in the bearing assembly could be disastrous for the stator because you do not have tight enough control over maintaining the adjustment on a grease lubed tapered roller bearing set.  Tapered roller bearings, for maximum life and load carrying capability, are best run preloaded with oil bath lubrication.  On cars and trailers and whatnot they are run loose with gun grease.  Once you get to severe duty like heavy trucks, they are all run preloaded in oil bath.  There is a reason for that.

That is just one design consideration.  There are several others but outlining them all could get quite technical.

But in the end you will use single phase and low speed blades and a dual stator and springs on your tail whatever I say, and I will use direct drive, 3-phase, large diameter, high tip-speed-ratio, with a gravity tail, because both my experience and my knowledge of the theory of the subject tell me that these are the better design choices.

I do not think it is a secret that I do not follow the book.  I design and build my own stuff.  If all building turbines amounted to was buying a book and following the plans, I would be bored out of my skull with building turbines.

So building a direct drive 3.8m ferrite machine would surely make it fit nicely with how all the homebrew books claim is the only way to do it.  However, this contraption that I built stands as the only working example of how a ferrite magnet generator can be done on a homebrew 3.8 meter turbine.  Once we have a working alternative design, only then can a valid comparison be made.  But until that time, I'm the man out on there on the field playing the game.  The armchair quarterbacks can drink beer, eat chips and watch.  And they can analyze and tell about how this is wrong and that won't work, and they're all experts because they played high school football.  But at the end of the day, when the rubber meets the road, they're still not that man out there on the field playing the game
--
Chris

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2011, 02:08:02 PM »
Just wondering if you ever tried using Neo magnets on one rotor and ferrite on the other rotor, would this have any benifits from a power output point of view? Could the two types of magnets be used to provide a sort of balance between power out and cost in?

You can get more power from one set of neos on one rotor, and a blank disc on the other side, than you can out of a set of ferrite magnets of the same size on both discs.
--
Chris
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:20:51 PM by ChrisOlson »

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
Direct Drive Ferrite Generator for 3.8 metre
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2011, 07:18:17 PM »
Just for comparison sake I quickly designed a direct drive ferrite magnet generator for a 3.8 meter turbine with the following specs:

108 rpm cut-in
24 poles, 18 coils, three phase
2 x 2 x 1" ferrite C5 magnets
2" top to bottom in the coil winder, top pins spaced at 2", bottom pins spaced at 1.5"
two-in-hand 15 AWG winding, wye configuration, 48 turns per coil, air gap set at .775-.800"

It would require 23.5" diameter generator rotors.
Stator would be 27" in diameter.

With the geared unit I am passing a magnet over a coil ~42 times/second at cut-in.  The 24 pole direct drive configuration would achieve about the same - ~43 times/sec.

The resistance would come in at about the same as what I got in one stator with my dual stator unit - about .85 ohm.

It would not have the amp capacity of my dual stator - the big three phase would be able to produce about 47 amps before it maxed out the windings - I am delivering power on four wires, the three phase only uses three.

To put this in perspective, the generator rotors would be bigger and heavier than the Otherpower 20 foot turbine project generator.  Each generator rotor would weigh right in the neighborhood of 79 lbs with mags.  It would require 15.6 lbs of wire in the stator.  I estimate the fully assembled weight would be around 190 lbs.

To compare:
Geared Dual StatorDirect Drive
Weight78.8~190
Full Load Capacity6047
Diameter14 x 1127 x 23.5
Length on shaft6.35"~3.8"
# of magnets used4048
lbs wire used10.5~15.6

Now all we need is for somebody to build such a thing for a 12 foot turbine.  Who's going to do it?  Not me.
--
Chris

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2011, 02:37:03 AM »
Hi Chris,
Very nice work. Just wondering if you ever tried using Neo magnets on one rotor and ferrite on the other rotor, would this have any benifits from a power output point of view? Could the two types of magnets be used to provide a sort of balance between power out and cost in?
Just a passing comment really, maybe you have already answered it elsewhere that I am not aware of.
thanks
ruairihev

I don't see this as a good idea. It is a bit like connecting a 12W and 20W solar panel in series, the performance is limited by the least able one.

You can add a bit of neo in series with ferrite but you can't get the gap flux above the Br max of neo and it is wasting neo to try. You can get a lighter machine for the same performance with a bit of neo in series with ferrite but it will probably cost more tham bigger ferrite magnets. The performance can never approach that of neo alone.

Flux

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2011, 04:27:49 AM »
Hi ChrisOlson,

Can you do me a favour and put all your research/writings notes and pics into some sort of book that relates to all your windturbines.

I don't think most folk realize what information, success or failures, that they have in their heads.

I say this because over the past 20 years, (i am only a young 54) my colleagues in my particular profession just seem to disappear taking their wisdom and actual working knowledge with them, bluntly. they die.

Hugh Piggott and Dan B have both published their ideas to the wider World which is flippin fantastic in this day and age. Hugh's book is certainly not a kit book. I have 3 of Hugh's 3.7m design with a 4th under construction, and i particularly like the simplicity and minimalism that he has evolved, (don't know the chap), that gives a good working product. Around me several people have his book and are starting to build but struggle with actual manufacturing bits even though they are all good welders /fabricators.

So please put your stuff into structured print.

I would buy a copy, trusting that its not that expensive.
Carry on the good work.

Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2011, 01:16:30 PM »
Can you do me a favour and put all your research/writings notes and pics into some sort of book that relates to all your windturbines.

I started out my career as a mechanical engineer about 30 years ago.  I chose a different lifestyle.  But there are engineers that do technical writing and engineers that build stuff.  I am one of the latter.  I am not an author and do not have the patience to write books.  I have put some of my projects here on the forum for folks to look at and I do have a website and online photo album where I will attempt to show some of these projects in more detail.
--
Chris

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2011, 02:43:12 PM »

But that's my point, you actually create and do stuff and your abilities should be recorded for future generations.

However, I do understand.
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

12AX7

« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2011, 09:58:53 PM »

I started out my career as a mechanical engineer about 30 years ago.  I chose a different lifestyle.  But there are engineers that do technical writing and engineers that build stuff.  I am one of the latter.  I am not an author and do not have the patience to write books.  I have put some of my projects here on the forum for folks to look at and I do have a website and online photo album where I will attempt to show some of these projects in more detail.
--
Chris

Chris,  I have to agree with your statement.  I once worked for a machine manufacture both as a service technician and as a technical instructor.  In the position of technician I worked with the various engineering groups, parts department, sales, publications  and of course customers.  As technical instructor the same group but with very different responsibilities.
I had to assist in the writings of our training manuals and service manuals.

Some of our best engineers couldn't write a paragraph with out using jargon that would befuddle the average user.  The engineer that could write a manual I wouldn't trust to change my car tire.  Some of their engineering designs should have been wrapped around their necks and tossed the lot of them into the lake.

The writing of technical manuals is an art in it's self and a major project.

I do agree with Clockman in his comment that too many arts are being lost with the passing of real CRAFTSMEN.
As a youngster I witnessed real craftsman and although our technical (and four/six year) colleges are putting out knowledgeable people I don't consider them as being "skilled" or "craftsmen".  It's unfortunate that craftsmanship can't be taught in schools or learned from books (no matter how well written).

Several times I have heard " a jack of all trades (and a master of none)"  used in a Condescending tone.   My observations were that most craftsman were in fact jacks of all trade,  but excelled at their chosen professions.   I'd pick a jack of all trades over most any one else.

My hat's off to all Jacks!

ax7

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2011, 10:38:04 PM »
This ferrite generator didn't have a good first day on the tower.  It only generated .89 kWh total.

I recorded the meter readings last night and reset the meters at 10:14 PM.  We had good wind today so I took the meter readings again at 7:42 PM when the wind started to die down.  The wind didn't blow real hard last night but the turbines ran all night at about cut-in speed.  The anemometer averaged the wind speed at 11.9 mph for the 21.4 hours**.  The Doc Wattson said 6.26 kWh and 239.6 amp-hours.  So that's an average output of 291.8 watts @ 26.13 volts for 21.4 hours.  The peak amps was 57.21 and the peak wind was 33.3 mph.

**The anemometer I got, and it's software, uses a weighted averaging system to average wind speed.  It has software for it to download the data into my computer and the software shows the hours and minutes that the wind spent at each speed in 1 mph increments for the logging period.  So if the wind spends 5 hours at 10 mph, 2 hours at 15, and 2 hours at 20, it comes up with an average that's closer to 10 than 15.

--
Chris