Author Topic: What i am building.  (Read 1823 times)

michael.i

What i am building.
« on: August 13, 2011, 04:16:53 AM »
I have been wanting to build a axial alternator for a long time and have been collecting parts slowly over the past couple years. Not in a hurry at all, lol

So, what I have so far is 24 N52 2x1x.5  ;D Neos that I want to mount on these two brake disk rotors my friend turned true for me. they are 12" Diameter each and identical.  the true area on the outside is exactly 2" so the magnets will fit perfectly on the outside track.

I am curious, do you see any problems with them being to large? Or is 12" ok?

I want to charge 12Volt batteries with this unit, so I believe that I need to make 9 coils for this setup. I read on another page somewhere that running 2 strands of 14# wire for 35 turns would be best for 12 volts. does this sound right?

I plan on making this 3 phase obviously. looking for any advise before I start epoxying these neos to the brake disks.

I plan on finding a car hub to mount the disks to.

Thoughts? Comments? Advise? ???

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: What i am building.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 03:30:07 AM »
12" discs will be ok. Number of turns will depend on your air gap and cut in speed, which will in turn depend on intended prop diameter.

30 or so turns sounds reasonable for a 12v stator 1/2" thick or a bit over for a prop about 8ft diameter but if you want to do things right first time you should read up about test coils. If you go at it as you are planning with a decent wooden prop about 8 or 9ft diameter it will work ok. If you are dreaming of pvc props or buying those bent tin things then it won't work.

Best to find one of the Otherpower plans using your size of magnet and copy it, including the blades, then it will work fine.

Flux

michael.i

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 08:02:09 PM »
So is it your opinion that I should start construction of the rotors and tail, mount and such then start winding a sing coil and test it and start doing some math first?

Before casting a full blown stator?

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 09:56:32 PM »
Just need the magnet rotor(s) / bearing to get a test coil jig basically.

Google search this forum and "test coil" should reveal the process. Many posts on it so should be easy to grub out.

Good Luck with it.

Tom

GoVertical

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 01:30:50 PM »
http://practicalaction.org/docs/energy/pmg_manual.pdf

http://www.windgenkits.com/Tutorials.htm

Hi, I have NO association with the above links. They are nice to refer to for additional comparison. Best of luck with your project, I hope to see some photos. Enjoy the day. 
Learn from the past, live in the present, plan for the future
kilroyOdin is not here ;)
SEMPER FEROX