Author Topic: Which charge controller to choose for Whisper 200 ?  (Read 3919 times)

Mountain Clan

• Oregon Coastal Mountains
Which charge controller to choose for Whisper 200 ?
« on: February 17, 2013, 12:03:37 PM »
I am seeking advice on what may be the best charge controller to use for my Whisper 200.

I will be flying it close to the ground (18') as we have very turbulent winds here and I want to be able to maintain it easily. I am fine with the fact that it will not produce optimal power, and know that there is more turbulance near the ground. We are close to the Continental Divide and our winds come from there.

I expect to setup the controller in load diversion mode so excess power will go to a water tank heating element (probably 2 for 1200watt 24V dump)

The cost of the controller is a consideration in this case as we are a homestead family and work with cash in hand (no loans or credit)

At the moment I am wondering about using a C-60 controller because it is low cost and I have a display screen for the C-series already on a C-35 I have. I am also wondering about the Morningstar Tri-star 60 model as the basic unit is about the same price. There is also the possibility of using an Outback MX60 (used) for the controller.

The wind genny will charge a bank of (16) L-16 that are fairly new along with 1.2kw of Solar panels.

The main purpose for the wind genny is to provide 'any' power to the battery bank at night when the wind is up. Secondarily to help the solar array recharge the bank and lastly to pre-heat water, if possible.

The Whisper is set for 24V and is rated at 1000W in a 28(?)mph wind. I have read that it may produce 50 amps on average at full speed, but it has been hard to find the exact number for the amps produced for this model.

Let me know what you think about my options for a quality controller for use with this model genny.

Thanks

Windy11

Re: Which charge controller to choose for Whisper 200 ?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 02:10:15 PM »
I was thinking about the Xantrex C-35 controller for a small solar project but I saw that the opperating temperature only goes down to 32 degrees  and the temperature around here can go down to zero so that was a concern for me. Could that mean that if the temperature was below 32 that the controller might not switch from charging the batteries and make them boil out the electrolite? 
Alias: Andy R.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 02:42:47 PM »
My c-40 worked fine below zero, used to have to reset the display though, discovered that it was nicer to have stuff indoors where it is warm and easier to access. My controller is opposite side of the wall from my batteries.

Windy11

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 11:28:29 PM »
My c-40 worked fine below zero, used to have to reset the display though, discovered that it was nicer to have stuff indoors where it is warm and easier to access. My controller is opposite side of the wall from my batteries.

Thanks, so you're saying that you're C-40 opperates okay below 32 degrees? That's nice to here.

I have a cabin off grid and installed a CB radio so I could call home and I've been powering it with a tiny solar cell of about 3 watts into 2 cheap car batteries. The 1st trickle charge solar cell lasted 17 years and the 1st car battery lasted 13 years. Yes we were babying them. Now I'm thinking of updating the system with an inverter and a few CFL lights. Maybe a 50 to 100 watt solar panel. Our 3 watt solar cell only trickle charged the batteries so I really didn't need a controller but with a larger charging solar panel, the batteries would probably overcharge.

With your info on the Xantrax, I'm leaning that way.

Check out my 3 watt  trickle charge solar cell.

Alias: Andy R.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 05:30:07 AM »
For winter use you could rig some sort of temp controlled insulated box, flap that would open if it got above x degrees