Author Topic: Total life of batteries  (Read 20116 times)

BillBlake

Re: Total life of batteries
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2012, 05:38:05 PM »
If your support bank was NiMH or NiFe, not lead acid, then you could run down the support bank completely without doing them harm. But I wouldn't use them to boost the other bank. Your support bank would be smaller but more expensive per kw-hr.

Get the 100% DOD kind of batteries when they are cheap and available and use them when you have to to spare the lead acid from staying run down so long they sulfate.

You don't have to live in the frozen north to not have sun or wind for a week. It happens here in south Florida, too. We have a front stalled for a week now. Some sun between the rain, but not enough to float.

I made up a Post and it went away by itself with no recall feature before it could be posted.
That's the last time that I don't back up the work because that's not the first time today.
It will be a little while before I have some time however all the basic truth's will still be with us
next week.

Remember that State of the Art Batteries and a space age Charger do not have the minute by
minute, hour by hour, fickle twitched tendencies that some of you fellows have grown to love.

2, 3 or 4 days could be modified to a whole week if that is what the Support Bank demanded.
IT controls the variables. Once it gets the NOD it takes over and is a Charge Terminator
without all the sorry stories. It becomes a guided charge missile.
Cares less about todays sunshine.

The scheme Listened to the sorry stories for decades before laying out the plan.

Bill Blake

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2012, 07:11:40 PM »
Bill

i am torn here? and it feels a lot like trying to sort out something yoda said!

in plain english so that i might understand,

"what the hell are you talking about?"

for someone that has spent decades researching, it would sure seem to me that you could clearly lay out what it is you are stating.

you do realize that every conversion step eats power, the result of which is a loss in efficiency? 

loss in efficiency i am ok with provided there is a benefit?  so far i see no possible benefit to your scheme.

tell you what, i will show you my scheme, start to finish "if" you can agree to do the same?  one caveat though, we both need to explain our schemes in plain speak, no twisted prose, no weird riddles, and no puzzles, just straight up lay it all out on the table for all to see discussion.

are you up for that?

bob g

bob g
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2012, 07:51:40 PM »
you do realize that every conversion step eats power, the result of which is a loss in efficiency? 

Bob, this is not always a bad thing.  Getting too hung up on efficiency can yield a system that's not practical.  Case-in-point: MPPT controllers.  MPPT controllers are inefficient because they burn up 8-10% of all the power that's generated in heat, at full load.  But they allow a person to manage large solar arrays and high-output wind turbines by operating them at higher voltages so you don't have to take out a First Mortgage on copper wire to generate the kWh you need to get the job done.

The same holds true with generators for off-grid living.  The most efficient unit may not be the best choice if it doesn't provide redundancy or won't start when it's needed.
--
Chris

BillBlake

« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2012, 08:24:36 PM »
Bill

for someone that has spent decades researching, it would sure seem to me that you could clearly lay out what it is you are stating.

loss in efficiency i am ok with provided there is a benefit?  so far i see no possible benefit to your scheme.

tell you what, i will show you my scheme, start to finish "if" you can agree to do the same?  one caveat though, we both need to explain our schemes in plain speak, no twisted prose, no weird riddles, and no puzzles, just straight up lay it all out on the table for all to see discussion.

are you up for that?

bob g

bob g

OK Bob if we break it down into quick baby steps I can put a few minutes into it.

Let's start with TIME.

YOU have One day to Charge your Battery Bank. Correct ?

Your Battery Bank is constantly being sucked on as you try to fill it back up. Correct?

MY Service Battery Bank has 3 or 4 days to charge with NOTHING sucking on it.

Filling up Twice each week. Correct?

If need be I'll do TWO Service Banks at a WEEK of Charging each.

STILL wind up with the Main Bank getting TWO Complete Finish Charges each week.

Correct?

Lay it on us Bob.

Is this clear enough or still cryptic to you?

Don't stray off on me. Stay with TIME.

Bill Blake

BillBlake

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2012, 09:18:05 PM »
Bob,

As your contemplating remember to keep 'The Force' with you always.  :o

Have fun! Stay Legendary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjxSCAalsBE

Bill Blake

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2012, 09:22:46 PM »

I ain't Bob, nor do I play him on TV.  But your scheme sort of falls apart from the standpoint that you still have to generate the amount of power you use every day, no matter how many battery banks you got in reserve.  So you may as well just charge one bank that's properly sized to your daily loads and generating capacity, and be done with it.

I only got one big battery bank and it gets more than two complete finishing charges every week.  Usually at least five.  Unless we get several bad days in a row, and then it will still get three, even if the generator has to start to do it.  My 24 hour gen auto-start threshold is set at 27.0 volts:

If that bank doesn't make it to at least 27 volts every 24 hours, the gen starts and takes care of the problem.  That's how to get total life from your batteries.  It doesn't hurt 'em to work 'em hard as long as they get recharged on time, and charged properly.
--
Chris

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2012, 09:30:17 PM »
so which is it? one bank or two?
what are you charging with?  a smart charger? a brilliant charger?
what are you powering the charger with?

are you planning on discharging down to 50% and then taking 3 or 4 days to recharge to 100%?  i can see that with two banks i suppose

maybe for clarification lets work out a hypothetical installation

say you have a house that needs 5kw/hrs per day AC power
lets assume that 4kw/hrs is needed over 12 hours of the day, and the last 1kwatt is needed over the last 12 hours each day.
and you have an average of 5 hours of decent sunlight each day
lets use a battery voltage of 48volts, just so we don't get tangled up over amp/hrs.

using your scheme how would you best address this example?

1.how much battery capacity would you install? 

2. one or two banks?

3.how much solar capacity would you install,  fixed panels no trackers?

4.what would you use to interface the panels to the battery bank(s) to do the charging? mppt? pwm? or inverter/charger?

5. would you use a generator? if so what sort. AC or DC?

i really am trying my best to get a grip on what you are asserting. you understand that bold assertions require bold proof or at least the ability to explain in a very detailed manner just how your assertion has merit.  otherwise anyone could claim anything and who could sort any of it out?

so lets have a discussion and see where it goes?

bob g

ps. i will defer to you on this topic,and not get into the weeds on my system philosophy until we get together on what yours is, otherwise its going to get very confusing very quickly.  perhaps we can start another topic and get into it there?
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2012, 09:40:57 PM »
are you planning on discharging down to 50% and then taking 3 or 4 days to recharge to 100%?  i can see that with two banks i suppose

No.  You can't see it.  You can't charge batteries that way.  They need to be held at a specific voltage for absorb to get properly charged.  There is only one thing that will hold those batteries at that required absorb voltage, and that's supplying the amps that it needs.

At the end of absorb the battery is 95% SOC.  It is impossible to PROPERLY charge a battery from 80% SOC to 100% SOC with less than the required amount of amps it needs for absorb.  There is no such thing as "slow and cool" over time.  Lead-acid batteries aren't made that way.  You'll sulfate the hell out of it and it will be dead inside 18 months, just like most people's boat batteries that never get properly charged because they hook up trickle chargers to them.

This whole thing has gone down the tubes with a big sucking sound.
--
Chris

BillBlake

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2012, 09:56:46 PM »
Bill

are you up for that?

bob g

bob g

OK Bob if we break it down into quick baby steps I can put a few minutes into it.

Let's start with TIME.

YOU have One day to Charge your Battery Bank. Correct ?

Your Battery Bank is constantly being sucked on as you try to fill it back up. Correct?

MY Service Battery Bank has 3 or 4 days to charge with NOTHING sucking on it.

Filling up Twice each week. Correct?

If need be I'll do TWO Service Banks at a WEEK of Charging each.

Correct?

Lay it on us Bob.

Is this clear enough or still cryptic to you?

Don't stray off on me. Stay with TIME.

Bill Blake

We have to stay right here before moving on.

FORGET the second (OPTIONAL) Service Battery Bank.

Let's just stay with a Finish Charge for the Main Bank every 3 and then again every 4 days.

I care less about anybodies generator or a photograph. Been there.

I'm well aware of what diesel costs and what it may wind up costing -

if you will be able to get enough at any price without good connections someday.

(One scenario.) Bring an ounce of gold for 20 gallons. Throw the gold over the wall.

We throw your instructions back to you with a free candy bar to sweeten the deal. ;-)

Bill Blake

Volvo farmer

« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2012, 10:13:58 PM »
This is a great thread.  I'm hoping it goes longer than the new prototype VAWT thread, because it is the source of great entertainment!
Less bark, more wag.

BillBlake

« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2012, 11:08:35 PM »
This is a great thread.  I'm hoping it goes longer than the new prototype VAWT thread, because it is the source of great entertainment!

I don't know if it will be quite as 'cunnin' as the 'Kingfish' mêlée
over at the Survival Monkey forum
when 'the mug' John Mario D'Angelo, his 'Disciple mug' Brandon Williams and old Bill Blake
got into it.

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/threads/lets-have-a-discussion-about-nickel-iron-batteries.34202/page-5

John was Fred Lyman this time. Get it, Fred Lie-man. John is Bob Stern at his office now.

Who can blame him?

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=beutilityfree+John+D%27Angelo&oq=beutilityfree+John+D%27Angelo&gs_l=hp.12...20215.29295.2.33767.14.14.0.0.0.0.288.1797.8j5j1.14.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.1nDKEXCCvbs&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=5988fe0ce707769a&biw=1010&bih=526

The fun really starts when we calculate 10 or 15 years worth of generator costs and then
projected generator costs.

We should all be rolling in the isles by the time it hits 20 years!

I enjoy all the different perspectives from everyone.

Bill Blake

P.S. Where you been Kingfish? My Google ' search dragnet' picked you up saying good things
about me at a different survival forum the other day.

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2012, 11:17:03 PM »
no matter how old i get, it seems i am always up to a good argument

and this one is setting up to be a real "ring tail tooter" lmao

volvo farmer, you get the rights to all concessions sales!  :)

Bill

i don't know you from adam, and mean no disrespect. please allow me to explain my position a bit.

everything in nature has a certain system to it, and in all of nature man is the only thing that persists in trying to fight momma nature at every opportunity, or so it would seem.

long ago i had the opportunity to become an observer, a health issue precluded me of having a normal preteen  through most of my teenage years... it gave me the opportunity to watch nature, and watch man.

a bird for instance seems to know just where, how big and of what his nest should be made, the variance is very small in a given species. man on the other hand lives in everything from a tar paper shack to castles of enormous proportions with a vast disparity in accoutrements.

one man decides to build on the side of a mountain shear cliff in the desert facing the afternoon sun, with all glass, and then spends vast sums of money to keep from baking in his domicile and lives with his trophy wife who never gives him a moments peace.. while a few miles away another man lives in a mud brick hut, with his fat and happy wife and 12 happy kids.  most of use live somewhere between these extremes.

those of us in the middle work our lives away, to buy or build a large house, two story, 3 car garage, minivan and white shaggy dog, and when the kids leave we are left with the payments, taxes, maintenance and lots of room to mill around in.  the kids come back to visit a few times a year until they start having their own kids, and then what,,, we enter retirement and face a life on a fixed income.. taxes increase, maintenance goes on, utilities go up, and at some point we find we can no longer climb the stairs...so

we close off the upstairs, and as time goes along we migrate to the core of the house, using the former dining room as our new bedroom, the single bath, the kitchen and the livingroom.... we end up living in approx 500 sq/ft of the original house.

where am i going with this?

what i am trying to get across is there are certain realities in life that once we accept them we can then plan our system around, or rather to include.

far better to plan for and/or build a small home (ok a micro home by todays standards) than be forced into it later when we can least afford to do so.

now with a small home (micro) we can fit it out with very efficient heating and cooling systems, because we aren't going to live in the mojave on the side of a cliff face with all west facing windows!

we pick out spot, site it properly, build appropriately for our use in our retirement years,, and we now know what our loads will be, what it will take to service them and how we can manage them so as to keep the peak demand as low as possible.

only after we have accepted a few realities and addressed them, can we even start to think about a single component or subsystem within our system.

this idea that we start out with batteries, one, two or a dozen banks, and worry about how to get 20 years out of them is tantamount to putting the cart way out ahead of the ox.

the idea that you can get away without a generator is in my opinion not in keeping with the reality of 99.9% of most installations. everyone i know, except you Bill accept the reality of a generator even if many cannot stand the thought of having one,, they will still have one on hand and will use it far more than they would ever expect let alone want to.

so just like every other system in nature, why would one want to fight this reality?  if generators cost 100k bucks rather than 1k bucks maybe you have a point, but that is not the problem now is it?

even those that are dead set against having on around ought to have one for emergency life support use at the very least, i think all of us can agree on that level at least.

now we get down to other components or parts of the system, which usually mean batteries and inverters for most folks, and i think everyone would agree that they are a part of life and a reality for offgrid living.

the question then comes as to how do we charge them?  well that is certainly the 64k dollar question now isn't it?  sure we can do PV panels if we have enough sun, we can do wind or hydro if we have those resources, but.. we all can use a generator to charge the batteries!

when the creek runs low or dry, the wind isn't blowing, and the sun isn't shining, we have a problem.

now i understand you concern about diesel fuel pricing being volatile, who knows how much it will cost down the road?  who says we have to burn diesel only? there are all sorts of fuels that can be used?

i will also tell you this, if fuel goes to 10bucks a gallon or more, the morality of the masses will damn sure degrade and you will wake up one morning at 70 years old , cold with no power because someone has liberated your panels from your roof during the night.  now what?

oh yes, you could defend your place, blah blah blah...

let me digress a big here

about 15 years ago, just above downtown tacoma washington, there lived an old man in a 3 story victorian mansion, it had a huge stairway that wound around the brick fireplace and chimney with a landing on each floor,, the huge windows were stained and cut glass on each landing.. gorgeous place....   one night two men gained entry and stole the friggin windows right out of the frames!  while the old man hid from fear of being killed.

end digression

solar panels are wonderful, however large expanses of them are a very large visual magnet, when the time comes that diesel fuel cost its weight in gold, don't worry you won't have those panels for long... and you don't have enough bullets to defend them.

a generator on the other hand?  who would steal something they cannot afford to fuel?  no one of course, but they are unaware that you can fuel it by other means. the generator also does not need to be out in plane sight, and it need not run during daylight hours or have an exhaust note heard over any appreciable distance.

so lets move on

we have a small place, we have a very good idea of what it is going to take to cover the loads, we can then determine the size of batteries needed to supply those loads, we also have an idea of what it will take to charge them, at least in equipment.

all that is left is how best to get the charging done? 

so here again, lets quit trying to reinvent the wheel, lets assume those that build the damn things have a clue as to what it takes to get the best return on investment from them?  when a manufacture states that we should get perhaps 10 years from a battery if we maintain it properly, why would we think it reasonable to expect to get appreciably more?  are we fighting nature again?  remember battery chemistry is controlled by the laws of nature to a large degree.

why would one think himself to be smarter than everyone else, including those that have been building batteries for 50 or more years?

i don't know Bill, me i am tired of beating my head against the wall, fighting city hall, mother nature, the laws of chemistry and physics, and have long given up on the idea that i am smarter than the likes of those that work at sandia labs.

for me it is far easier, less risky, and cheaper to accept some things as reality, and quit fighting it.

all except arguing!  i don't drink coffee, drink alcohol or do illicit drugs, so i gotta get my kicks somehow.

bob g

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2012, 11:18:34 PM »
huff, huff, pant, pant.... whew .... that was a long one huh?

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2012, 11:30:25 PM »
I'm putting on some popcorn; this is fun to watch.

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2012, 11:32:13 PM »
hanging over the ropes here, lookin for the tag...

where the hell is everybody?

;)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2012, 11:36:40 PM »
Perhaps we should stop the drama for a moment, to hear a brief public service announcement:

http://www.aholesguide.ruethedayblog.com/2008/06/09/how-to-be-a-successful-internet-troll/

Now back to the program...
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

bart

« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2012, 12:20:02 AM »
...Can...Not...Help..it..
  Hey Spar...
It seems to fit the bill?

BillBlake

« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2012, 12:21:28 AM »
Bob, You want to go round da world but I only have the time right now to focus.

Health permitting I would just as soon share a nice big glass of dandelion wine and visit

your prize herb garden - as look at you.  :o

It is NOT that we are that smart Bob. Only dat they have been that dumb.

Bill Blake

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2012, 01:12:12 AM »
"It is NOT that we are that smart Bob. Only dat they have been that dumb."

are you serious?

that is very close to the old adage, "when you think everyone else is crazy is exactly when you should question your own sanity"

Bill, seriously you are going to have to do a lot better than that!

oh ya, and step away from the dandelion wine, i think maybe someone got a funny mushroom mixed in with the leaves!

lmao

i gotta get some sleep, tomorrow is a long day and i have batteries to fry! lol

btw Bill, do you have kids? if so were you the one that had to get up in the middle of the night to feed and change them, care for them when they were sick?  somehow i don't think so, or else you would not have anything to do with babying a battery bank for 20 years!

i think i liked you better when you were on the iron battery kick!

to be continued...

bob g

BillBlake

« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2012, 01:26:45 AM »
"It is NOT that we are that smart Bob. Only dat they have been that dumb."

are you serious?

that is very close to the old adage, "when you think everyone else is crazy is exactly when you should question your own sanity"

Bill, seriously you are going to have to do a lot better than that!

oh ya, and step away from the dandelion wine, i think maybe someone got a funny mushroom mixed in with the leaves!

lmao

i gotta get some sleep, tomorrow is a long day and i have batteries to fry! lol

btw Bill, do you have kids? if so were you the one that had to get up in the middle of the night to feed and change them, care for them when they were sick?  somehow i don't think so, or else you would not have anything to do with babying a battery bank for 20 years!

i think i liked you better when you were on the iron battery kick!

to be continued...

bob g

Yes my track record on calling the Nickel Iron Battery as it really is after

110 years of absolute BS

has become well known. I know that you know Bob.

I like most everybody. Always have. It's my style.

You may want to think a little before going off on the 'OtherPower Theory of Battery-tivity'.

Old Bill usually always did some Extensive homework first - then spoke.

Bill Blake

Volvo farmer

« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2012, 08:53:42 AM »
Don't forget to show your work! Just like HS algebra, You get no credit unless you show your work! Also random capitalization of words in the middle of sentences might get you points for style, but the English teacher is going to put red ink all over your paper.
Less bark, more wag.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2012, 09:03:03 AM »
You may want to think a little before going off on the 'OtherPower Theory of Battery-tivity'.

So --- does this mean common sense is back from vacation, and it will now take over?
--
Chris

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2012, 10:37:11 AM »
hanging over the ropes here, lookin for the tag...

where the hell is everybody?

;)
Bob g;
I'm here watching to make sure this doesn't become a flame war 8).

Your eloquence of typing all this into knowledge is far beyond what I could add.
ARE you sure you don't want to run for Commander In-Chief? I'd vote for you in a heart beat just on these words alone!
Bruce S
PS the quote about knees, hit home this past weekend! Time was I could carry furniture up and down steps all weekend long, now I need that landing!
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2012, 02:16:37 PM »
Bill

"You may want to think a little before going off on the 'OtherPower Theory of Battery-tivity'."

who's theory is this?  i don't recall there being a consensus on the forum in support of your assertions?

lets define "theory" shall we?

"the·o·ry
   [thee-uh-ree, theer-ee] Show IPA
noun, plural the·o·ries.
a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity. Synonyms: principle, law, doctrine.
a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural and subject to experimentation, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact. Synonyms: idea, notion hypothesis, postulate. Antonyms: practice, verification, corroboration, substantiation. "

why anyone would design any sort of system based on so called "theory" to the exclusion of established and accepted "facts" is just beyond me!  i suppose one could do so if he is flush with cash and is wanting to run an experiment?  but he best have the grid to fall back on in case the theory is flawed.

somehow i am just going to accept without proof that all those folks know more than i will ever know about batteries, their care, maintenance, charging and use...

hmmm,   i guess you can stick to your theory and i will approach design from accepted practice, based on 100 plus years of manufacture and millions of man hours of R&D , manufacture and end user experience.

so until such time that i see real testing that proves your position conclusively, i am not likely to change positions, nor would i suggest anyone else to do so.

now to get a bit personal with you, and hopefully this will be taken as constructive criticism...

you research and position on the iron battery topic led me to conclude that you have some sort of axe to grind or are trying to gain credibility by trampling over others... some of it might be warranted, while some might not be,, either way it makes no difference to me.

see the thing is, early on you should have concluded that iron batteries really are not a viable option for off grid use, at least not for the vast majority of cases... reason being the overall efficiency of the batteries is abysmal and the cost is atrocious compared to the much more commonly available and used flooded lead acid batteries... so the question comes to mind that if it takes maybe 30 minutes to determine they are not a viable option because of efficiency and price, why would someone spend years researching and getting into the weeds on a battery technology that really isn't appropriate?

i cannot imagine being so singularly focused on one element of the system to the exclusion of all other parts of said system, to the point that i have become married to an idea or theory.

and in the end being so focused on the one element, so attached to my own theory, that i become so convinced that everyone else is wrong and i am right?

when one becomes so convinced that he is right, and everyone else is wrong, is precisely the time he should go back and see what he did wrong! 

bold assertions require equally bold proof

and as volvo farmer so adeptly stated,
you best come to the table with all the proof and be able to show your math, show how you tested, what was used, and do it in a way that follows some sort of scientific method.

so far i have seen nothing from you, but a bunch of claims of being smarter than all those that are dumber or whatever.

so in the immortal words of that little old lady on the Wendy's commercials

"where's the beef?"

bob g

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2012, 05:40:23 PM »
Yeah.  What he said.

This thread started out on a study done where it shows that whether you shallow cycle or deep cycle your batteries, you'll get the same amount of energy stored and delivered to loads over the battery's life.  Such a study could take 7-10 years to complete because you'd have to actually do it to have real world results that validates the theory.

I would say the same applies to the theories of OffGridWithMultipleBatteryBanksAndNoEvilSmellyGeneratorAccordingToBillBlake.
--
Chris

gww

« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2012, 06:46:34 PM »
Bob G and Chris
All I can say is you guys are gold with me.  That doesn't mean bruce, damon, sparweb ect ect... haven't been helpfull.  Billblake,  I'm not willing to write you off.  You did answer my personal message with a ligitamate link on batteries.  I do believe that your positions are a little more paranoid and dramatic.  You seem to be writing a suspence novel where you wan't a good ending.  I actually come here hoping for a chiltons manual writen for children.  I get "cut out" trying to keep up.  You say you are going to provide the punch line at your pace, which is your right.  I get lost in the middle and believe I may miss ligitimate and helpfull Items mixed with the content that I can't use.  For a post of clash of the titens,  It should be labled "clash of the titens".  Then if I don't want to feel worse about myself for just starting out I will avoid it.  My pace is more chiltons manual writen for children.
I do drink and would love to have a glass of dandelion wine with you but you don't tell anything about yourself as "that is for you and yourns".
Good luck
gww

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2012, 06:58:57 PM »
Just for giggles I did my own "study" on why a generator is more cost effective than batteries for backup power.

I keep immaculate power logs for our system and our battery bank is adequate roughly 95% of the time and the generator has to run 5% of the time.  That 5% equates to 18 days out of the year, or roughly 430 hours on the generator every year.  During that 430 hours of run time it produces 1,720 kWh which requires about 180 gallons of fuel that costs us about $750/year.

To make it thru the "bad" times (or for peak loads) without ever running a generator would require exactly double the battery capacity that we have now (and the associated extra RE generating capacity to charge it on the "good" days, plus extra inverter output capacity to match the generator's output).  When I looked at our logs I see many "bad" times that involve the need for an extra 25 kWh of capacity to make it thru without ever having to run a generator  The small generator can supply that power in only 6 hours of run time, plus take care of our battery bank while it's doing it.

Today's total cost of that extra battery capacity is $9,600.  If you spread that out over the 7 year expected lifespan of off-grid lead-acid batteries the cost of the extra batteries would be $1,371/year.

The generator power and fuel is only about 55% of what the extra batteries cost over the long term at today's fuel and battery prices.

Our situation might not apply to everyone.  But that's the way it penciled out for us.
--
Chris

gww

« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2012, 07:12:30 PM »
Chris
With your new battery capacity and the last two solar panels you might be getting closer to not using the generator,  Unless you have bought a new electric toy that eats alot.
Cheers
gww

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2012, 08:29:33 PM »
When I got our bank I was going to add another 12 batteries to it about 6 weeks after I got the first ones.  I decided against that based on economics.

Even with the extra solar it won't make any difference (except on cloudy days).  My Classic is maxed out by over 500 watts so it can't use the full installed capacity of the array on a good day.  On an average day where the panels put out 75-80% of rated power it can.  But the generator is still going to run because we depend on it for peak loads.

Like I said, I'm not advocating that everybody do that.  But it works for us, and the generator is cheaper (and more reliable in the long term) than more batteries.  That's why I take issue with somebody who claims an off-grid generator is an evil smelly thing that only sucks up fuel.  I designed the generator into our system to be an integral part of it because unlike RE power sources, it can provide power any time - on demand.

When you start talking about extra batteries, and having a Main Bank and a Reserve Bank, and whatnot - well, there's economics involved that can make something like that not even practical.  And what's more, the environmental impact of mining and processing toxic materials to make batteries is not really any better than sucking oil out of the ground to run a generator.

So I think bob g has the right idea - the batteries in your off-grid system are a consumable item that has to replaced with time.  There's no sense to over-doing it and you may as well plan, if you live off-grid, to replace them about 7-10 years.  The more batteries you got, the more it will cost to replace them when the time comes.  So you size the bank to provide your daily needs and use an alternative for the times when they can't meet your needs.  Getting carried away with wild schemes to completely eliminate a generator for off-grid might be ok for somebody who wants to do it as a proof-of-concept type thing.  But that doesn't mean it's practical for the average off-grid home.
--
Chris

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2012, 03:13:59 AM »
Even looking at things from a carbon-footprint point of view CO's scheme *might* be near optimal in that there is a very definite embedded footprint to the having the extra batteries (etc) that would allow him do do without the generator, and the ability to properly look after all those batteries even at times of little renewable generation.

It is often best NOT to stretch a main system to cover all eventualities, but have it cope with the vast bulk of the time with an auxiliary system to pick up the rest.  The same could apply to space heating for example.  Extreme positions are rarely rational nor efficient.

Still, I'd prefer him to keep that footprint down!  B^>

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

BillBlake

« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2012, 03:39:06 AM »
Bill

"You may want to think a little before going off on the 'OtherPower Theory of Battery-tivity'."

who's theory is this?  i don't recall there being a consensus on the forum in support of your assertions?

lets define "theory" shall we?

"the·o·ry
   [thee-uh-ree, theer-ee] Show IPA
noun, plural the·o·ries.
a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity. Synonyms: principle, law, doctrine.
a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural and subject to experimentation, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact. Synonyms: idea, notion hypothesis, postulate. Antonyms: practice, verification, corroboration, substantiation. "

why anyone would design any sort of system based on so called "theory" to the exclusion of established and accepted "facts" is just beyond me!  i suppose one could do so if he is flush with cash and is wanting to run an experiment?  but he best have the grid to fall back on in case the theory is flawed.

somehow i am just going to accept without proof that all those folks know more than i will ever know about batteries, their care, maintenance, charging and use...

hmmm,   i guess you can stick to your theory and i will approach design from accepted practice, based on 100 plus years of manufacture and millions of man hours of R&D , manufacture and end user experience.

so until such time that i see real testing that proves your position conclusively, i am not likely to change positions, nor would i suggest anyone else to do so.

now to get a bit personal with you, and hopefully this will be taken as constructive criticism...

you research and position on the iron battery topic led me to conclude that you have some sort of axe to grind or are trying to gain credibility by trampling over others... some of it might be warranted, while some might not be,, either way it makes no difference to me.

see the thing is, early on you should have concluded that iron batteries really are not a viable option for off grid use, at least not for the vast majority of cases... reason being the overall efficiency of the batteries is abysmal and the cost is atrocious compared to the much more commonly available and used flooded lead acid batteries... so the question comes to mind that if it takes maybe 30 minutes to determine they are not a viable option because of efficiency and price, why would someone spend years researching and getting into the weeds on a battery technology that really isn't appropriate?

i cannot imagine being so singularly focused on one element of the system to the exclusion of all other parts of said system, to the point that i have become married to an idea or theory.

and in the end being so focused on the one element, so attached to my own theory, that i become so convinced that everyone else is wrong and i am right?

when one becomes so convinced that he is right, and everyone else is wrong, is precisely the time he should go back and see what he did wrong! 

bold assertions require equally bold proof

and as volvo farmer so adeptly stated,
you best come to the table with all the proof and be able to show your math, show how you tested, what was used, and do it in a way that follows some sort of scientific method.

so far i have seen nothing from you, but a bunch of claims of being smarter than all those that are dumber or whatever.

so in the immortal words of that little old lady on the Wendy's commercials

"where's the beef?"

bob g

Bob G,

Old Bill quit posting to the following Nickel Iron Battery Thread in July, 2012 though it is far from
being complete yet.

Between July 3 and July 5th I ran 4 fairly long Posts.

Then on July 5th someone had the following sweet Prose. (See Reply # 46.)

Was it you speaking or did some BillBlake fanboy hijack your account?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Nickel Iron (Ni-Fe) Battery Life Cycle Chart .. from the Manufacturer

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2012, 10:43:15 AM »

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,146754.msg1009242.html#msg1009242

i personally find all this fascinating on so many levels

from a historical viewpoint
from a technical viewpoint
from a sales viewpoint
from human nature viewpoint, and

a few others

i think we need to take a serious reality check on mr. edison to start with!
yes he made a lot of cool stuff, or at least his people did under his name. things like phonographs and light bulbs have stood the test of time, however his DC scheme didn't fair as well even with all his efforts to make AC out as the killer of children and small animals
(the elephant not withstanding).

when things he had built that have his name, work out over time, and as such are proven in daily use, then fine i will give him credit where credit is due,,, however when it comes to his nife battery i am not so quick to jump on board.

if these things were so wonderful i would think we would see them in current production here in the US in some application, somewhere?  we don't, and we need to ask why?

they have their strong points, of course, but they also have serious weaknesses too! 

i can't imagine spending 10's of thousands of dollars for chinese manufactured cells, that may or may not be anywhere as good as edison cells, which arguably were not as good as folklore would suggest to start with.  somehow i am to believe that the chinese have
worked the kinks out of these things?  bullcrappolla!

there will always be those that will believe anything advertized because there is a strong need to believe in stuff that might make our lives easier or better.

we need more critical thinking skills taught in school.

bob g

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, Bill Blake

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2012, 05:20:25 AM »
Please keep things civil.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

bob g

• microcogen.info
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2012, 05:26:10 AM »
Bill

i never said you were all wet or off base with your position on the topic of the iron battery, certainly not so back on reply #46.

what i did say in my last post in this thread, was that i wondered what your motives were in beating on, what i would refer to as, the iron battery dead horse.

aside from all that, i have no idea how you link the two discussions?

on the one hand just because you concluded (correctly in my opinion) that the iron battery is not all it is cracked up to me, does not mean that (a) i agree with how you arrived at the conclusion, or (b) that after coming to that conclusion it makes you some sort of expert on all things that are battery.  (again my opinion)

i don't claim to be an expert at anything, although i am proficient at some things and pretty good at many others, i would never be so bold as to claim that those that have been in the engineering, design, manufacture and distribution of any technology are all wrong and state boldly that i had the answer, and then not expect to be questioned intensely.

but again that is just me, and you might take a different approach, and that is ok, however i will say it again

bold assertions/claims require equally bold proof!

if you think i have never made a bold assertion or claim, you would be wrong, however for the most part i have been able to document and support conclusively my position when called to task.

in my opinion any time one decides to take on the likes of those that are in the manufacture of a product, and test facilities such as sandia labs, and years of data from actual users of the product, and then go on how not only are all of them doing it wrong, but have done so for a 100 years, he ought to be fully prepared to meet some pretty stiff opposition and some damn harsh questioning.

so far you have been presented with some questions, such as the example case i listed earlier, wherein you could have sat down and outlined what you would recommend to fill that need, how it would be used, how you would do it, and what the expected results would be.... so far you have chosen to ignore it!   even though it was a question not unlike those that are presented here and elsewhere with some regularity by newbies looking for advise on setting up a system.

if you are some sort of expert, or even someone that is conversant on the topic, you ought to be able to answer those questions. if you are one that has taken the position that you know how to do what others are clearly doing wrong, it should be a cakewalk for you to address that case set of questions.

that seems reasonable to me, and i think most everyone else.

so how about this, if you want to persist in making these claims, you provide some proof, or lay out some sort of theory of operation that supports your position, something, anything... other than simply dancing around and answering in your "yoda-esque" cryptic way.

i am not ready to write you off just yet, however you probably ought to come up with something soon or i am going to be left to conclude that you are something other than what you want to be.

so how about it?

tag your it!

bob g