Author Topic: Just another 10 footer, figured I would share a few pics  (Read 8218 times)

Dougrunner

Just another 10 footer, figured I would share a few pics
« on: October 23, 2012, 11:41:01 PM »
Hey, Just finished up a 10 footer and figured I would share a few photos

Dougrunner

Re: Just another 10 footer, figured I would share a few pics
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 11:56:17 PM »
I should add, local building code only allows 23 foot tower hight. So sadly we couldn't but it on much of a tower, but luckily it is up on a bit of a ridge where it still has ok exposure to the prevailing southeast winds

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 01:06:25 PM »
great to see a new gen on this site -been awhile!
looks great--what kind of power have you seen out of it?
WILD in ALASKA

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 01:18:37 PM »
Hope your furling stops are strong.

There's been some discussion about possible late furling issues with the tilted-tail-pivot system when the mill is on a substantial upslope, creating a vertical component to the wind.  Please let us know how it works out for you, and whether the prevailing winds are directly up the slope, down the slope, or from the sides.

Royalwdg

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 01:40:47 PM »
The blades look beautiful.  Whats the finish.   Dave Moller

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 05:36:02 PM »
Looks like good work your up and runnin very nice .

kitestrings

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 09:22:40 PM »
Nice looking turbine, and blades.  Keep us posted on output, observations, adjustments.  Too bad about the height restriction. What's next..., "okay you can do solar panels as long as they're in the shade"?

Best of luck& thanks for sharing.

~ks

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 10:28:28 PM »
those really are nice looking blades.
it looks like sikens cetol 23

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 10:08:04 AM »
FAB;
It's even worse than that where Frank S is . The restriction is for everyone there not just those living in/on our around the compounds.
Riyadh had/has a limit on height too (two 1/2 story last I heard). has to do with visual and voice transmittal from minarets (Mosques) ?   
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 12:00:52 PM »
Yeah unless you are the emir or sultan or whatever.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 01:32:26 PM »
Yeah unless you are the emir or sultan or whatever.
Nope, at least not in Saudi ! even the homes at any of the 4 wives of the crowned prince could not have them more than 2 1/2 stories high. Darn things took up an entire Saudi block each!! with his palace in the middle, but still only 21/2 stories high.
Our Villa's surrounding gate's was 12 foot high and solid steel, where even the police weren't allowed in unless someone openly allowed them in.
Where Frank S is maybe allow other things, but....
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

gww

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »
I love your blades.  I have not made a set yet where I could get all the tooling marks out.   Great turbine.  Give us some running updates.  Any wind since you put it up?
gww
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:14:34 PM by gww »

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 08:06:14 PM »
FAB;
It's even worse than that where Frank S is . The restriction is for everyone there not just those living in/on our around the compounds.
Riyadh had/has a limit on height too (two 1/2 story last I heard). has to do with visual and voice transmittal from minarets (Mosques) ?   
Bruce S
Bruce S hat is exactly correct  here in Q8 though they have taller &(&(*(*&**
 so the houses are taller as well usually 2 basement levels ground floor 1st floor 2nd floor 3rd floor and a 6 ft high parapet wall surrounding the  roof a lot will have a small 4ft floor as well
 Ive seen a grand total of 3 wind generators in Q8 all owned by the same guy 2 look like those Delco things but 1 has real blades on it even if they are painted white the way the traffic is in that area it is impossible to drive and get a picture.
 Hopefully before we leave Q8 I will come up with an excuse to get off the highway there and stop and meet him. I hear he is a nut case according to what I've heard. Has a $5M' home and drives a Rolls Canardly I'll probably like the guy.
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Dougrunner

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 09:45:02 PM »
Thanks for the comments,

The finish is Sikens Cetol Marine.

The ridge that it is on top of is pretty minimal, maybe 25 feet high, with about a 15% grade. The prevailing wind blows at about a 45 degree angle to the slope, so hopefully it won't have too much influence on it.

The high restriction thing is actually being discussed here at the moment and will hopefully be changed soon. Presently it is worded that antenna towers have no height restriction. All other structures are considered "accessory buildings" and are thus all limited by the same 23' high restriction.

So the goal is to get an amendment specifically for wind towers..... Fingers crossed

Dougrunner

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 09:51:18 PM »
It's been blowing like stink since putting it up; sadly the balance of systems is not yet hooked up, so it has been sitting in the breeze with the stop switch on for a few days..... This weekend should see it all hooked up though, and then I should have a little data

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 10:34:09 PM »
Oh, then you must be chomping at the bit to go.

You must have been relying on the application of Murphy's law that states "once a new turbine has been raised, no wind will blow for at least 3 days".
But you forgot that Murphy's law has a reciprocal side, "if power produced by that wind turbine can't be harnessed in those first three days, then the wind will blow madly".

Anyway...  Nice work, I must agree!
Thanks for sharing pictures.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 05:27:41 AM »
I'm gona talk some s@#$% here . These are weather related . First the electrolysis is going to happen between Phases unless there is some isolation at your stator connections .  The Sharp corners of your Blade cap need some rethinking they tend to sink into the Cedar
 Cap nuts and locktight . The stator althread is a little long compensate with some pipe or nuts . Those blades are really well made I for one would enjoy seeing  your stats and wind records if your of a mind .

Dougrunner

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 08:43:55 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts tecker. Can you explain your thoughts on electrolysis between phases a little more? How would you isolate them?

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 09:52:29 AM »
Electrolysis? Those connections look to be separated by a couple inches.
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 01:36:58 PM »
First the electrolysis is going to happen between Phases unless there is some isolation at your stator connections

While I'm not totally sure what you're getting at here, this goes back to the 1800's.

A Swedish chemist named Berzelius proposed that all atoms are electrified, hydrogen and the metals being positive, the nonmetals negative.  An applied voltage was thought to overpower the attraction between these opposite charges, pulling the electrified atoms apart in the form of ions (electrolysis) with primitive batteries made of dissimilar metals placed on opposite sides of moistened paper.  That was the first experiments with electrolysis.

Electrolysis uses a DC current to drive an otherwise non-spontaneous chemical reaction.  That stator is AC.  So please explain this electrolysis theory because I, for one, am baffled after hearing this.
--
Chris

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 07:56:40 AM »
Nowhere in any commercial device installs do you see open connections like this  . The reason is the whole unit attracts dust and metallic oxides as well as the oxide that naturally forms with water .Several inches is good insulation but if you have extended periods on ice and rain the liquid starts to carry ions that dry to coat the plastic . Take a look at a wire nut connection or a Phone connection .The wire turns Black in most cases several inches under the wire insulation that's Why those connectors have Isolating Grease.
 Normally you,ll be good but at some point the exposed  connection opens up or has a cascade failure .
 The weight of the cable drop and those connections move and You'll have to maintain the whole drop from the stator connections .
 Pickup a couple of wire nuts for outside connections and use the grease on you stator connections and add a locknut . If you can find a boot that slides over the connections you'll be good with some paint around the area . Otherwise paint the area well and use a cap nut so the internal connections in the stator resin won't loosen when you break the connection .
Deoxit has good products also .
I think auto most auto parts store stocks wire boots .
  For the most part all metals oxidize in the presents of water if there a small amount like moisture the oxides form and any moisture makes compounds that are in most cases non conductive . While electrolysis is slow with copper you still get copper oxide the redish and copper (11) oxide the black formation . The connections don't get used up like a aluminum and copper but half the cycle is the right polarity for electrolysis .
 There's some notable practices involving electrolysis in hard water . Like using a magnesium anode in water heaters to save the copper on the elements .

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:00:19 AM by tecker »

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 08:48:50 AM »
So I think you're not talking about electrolysis, but just normal corrosion from copper being exposed to weather.
--
Chris

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 09:18:59 AM »
It's still electrolysis but the copper coats with a compound  just like aluminum anode coats a copper cathode from the reaction and it migrates with the moisture . The moisture just dissolves the oxide  changes and migrates . It's all Galvanic reactions j ust like roofing copper will get used up  .  In roofing you get a green mix that runs down the roof . In almost every case Copper fits in as a Cathode  coating  with somthing unless the medium is acidic . 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:51:13 AM by tecker »

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 09:58:02 AM »
 This has to do with how one chooses to use the word  electrolysis  or corrosion , galvanic dispersion battery conductance When a substance is exposed without protection the end result must ultimately end up with decay

electrolysis  (ĭ-lěk-trŏl'ĭ-sĭs) Pronunciation Key 
A process in which a chemical change, especially decomposition,is brought about by passing an electric current through a solution of electrolytes so that the electrolyte's ions move toward the negative and positive electrodes and react with them. If negative ions move toward the anode, they lose electrons and become neutral, resulting in an oxidation reaction. This also happens if atoms of the anode lose electrons and go into the electrolyte solution as positive ions. If positive ions move toward the cathode and gain electrons, becoming neutral, a reduction reaction takes place. Electrolysis is used for many purposes,including the extraction of metals from ores, the cleaning of archaeological artifacts, and the coating of materials with thin layers of metal (electroplating).

corrosion  (kə-rō'zhən) Pronunciation Key 
The breaking down or destruction of a material, especially a metal, through chemical reactions. The most common form of corrosion is rusting, which occurs when iron combines with oxygen and water.
Galvanic corrosion (also called ' dissimilar metal corrosion' or wrongly 'electrolysis') refers to corrosion damage induced when two dissimilar materials are coupled in a corrosive electrolyte.

When a galvanic couple forms, one of the metals in the couple becomes the anode and corrodes faster than it would all by itself, while the other becomes the cathode and corrodes slower than it would alone. For galvanic corrosion to occur, three conditions must be present:

Electrochemically dissimilar metals must be present
These metals must be in electrical contact, and
The metals must be exposed to an electrolyte
The relative nobility of a material can be predicted by measuring its corrosion potential. The well known galvanic series lists the relative nobility of certain materials in sea water. A small anode/cathode area ratio is highly undesirable. In this case, the galvanic current is concentrated onto a small anodic area. Rapid thickness loss of the dissolving anode tends to occur under these conditions. Galvanic corrosion problems should be solved by designing to avoid these problems in the first place.

Actually electrolysis may be caused by stray current passing through dissimilar metals such as bolted connections when 2 or more conductors are connected , When the conductors are not properly cleaned prior to assembly  or when moisture if allowed to be present . This is not generally called electrolysis many terms are used to describe decomposition   such as corrosion, decay, rust, oxidation, and weathering. The electrolytic transference of one substance to another usually metals immersed in a chemical bath of salts, one part becomes the cathode while the other is the anode whereas the cathode gains mass and the anode loses mass. When components undergo the process of corrosion or oxidation mass is lost due an interaction of moisture in the air or dust build up containing moisture
 I believe this is more a matter of one person's way of describing the process through the use of one word over another
 Chris O's description is more accurate
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 10:10:46 AM »
Copper open to the weather forms a patina the copper under the patina is unchanged, I have done repairs on copper bell towers that were 100 years old, the have the green patina that is only mills thick and the copper underneath is unchanged.
So yeah is you plan on that mill being in service for over 100 years you better deal with it.

jlt

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 10:27:18 AM »
I would be Much more concerned with water getting Inside the yaw bearing.And causing rust.

After a bout a year my 12ft would no longer yaw into the wind.Seems moister was entering down the power cable.                     jlt

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2012, 10:58:32 AM »
i build vertical mills and the stator is under cover high and dry
but on these horizontals, the stator is exposed to wind rain and sun.
so, perhaps some white lithium or Vaseline on the terminals?

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2012, 11:29:25 AM »
Bottom line is open terminals are a eventually a problem and it will probably in bad weather . the Green S&*^$ the Red S(*&% or the Black S*)&^is not conductive or  at best partially conductive .

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2012, 04:55:36 AM »
I want to inject a little Apology for Kidnapping this thread with what seems to Distract  from the sear beauty of this build . It looks fine up there working away good luck and enjoy the results of your hard work .
JW

Dougrunner

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 12:33:46 AM »
When I actually got this thing hooked up I forgot to update this with some numbers. It's been up and running for close on 6 months now. Output is very similar to what the dans have posted for their 10 footers. I have seen it putting out about 600 watts. But I am sure in the big gusts it is making a lot more than that. Seems to fully furl somewhere around 25mph. Over all an am very happy with how it all worked out!

gww

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 05:40:48 AM »
I hope I have as good of luck with my 8'ers.  Thanks for the update.
gww

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 10:33:19 PM »
For some new users the pictures were really nice and are being hosted on the site.

JW