Author Topic: LED puck lights  (Read 2626 times)

greenkarson

LED puck lights
« on: July 30, 2013, 09:23:32 PM »
I've picked up some nice looking 12v puck lights. They are meant to be under cabinet lighting. They come with a 120/12v power supply. But I would like to eliminate that and wire them straight to the battery in my house boat. But I'm not sure if they would have resisters built into the lights them self. Or if the current limit was set by the power supply. Not quite sure how to proceed  from here. If there is no resisters what size resister would be appropriate? The box claims each puck is under 2 watts. And what would be the best way to test if they do have resistors?

Thanks for any info

southpaw

Re: LED puck lights
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:00:52 AM »
I'm not certain but if the power supply can be used with different numbers of lights the current won't be set by the power supply. I recently bought a set of low voltage 12v Led  path lights designed to be used with a power supply and underground cable. They were heavily discounted as most people are using the solar ones now. I mounted them on my houseboat deck rails and  hooked them to the 12v system and they are working fine for 2 months now.
less than 10W for 6 lights. 

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
Re: LED puck lights
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 04:11:39 PM »
The best way to figure it out would be to open either the power supply, or one of the lights to see of there is any regulation in either end...
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)