Author Topic: A different lighthouse  (Read 6741 times)

tanner0441

A different lighthouse
« on: May 19, 2014, 02:51:06 PM »
Hi

On the local news there was an article on a local lighthouse, Bardsey. Because one of the migrating bird species is getting disorientated by the rotating light on the lighthouse and killing themselves by flying into it. they have removed the incandescent light, all four ton of it, and replacing it with a red LED version.  I knew chickens cant see in red light, but did not realise  Manx Shearwaters were the same.  The article didn't mention Laser so I assume it is a big or several big LEDs.  I have LED yard lighting and six or seven watts certainly gives enough light.

Brian

MIgardener

Re: A different lighthouse
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 09:14:43 PM »

I wonder how much energy a 4 ton light bulb uses
,Jake

tanner0441

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 03:11:55 PM »
Hi

I think the four tons was the weight of the complete optical system, ie. Fresnel lens and the drive mechanism. I have just taken delivery of ten 1W red LEDs the light output is phenomenal but they do need a heat sink, I killed the first one by trying to run it without one.

Brian

Xan

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 09:40:09 PM »
The original lamp would have most likely been a 500 or 1000 watt bulb. There are special ones made for Lighthouses that have a particularly straight vertical filament so the Fresnel lens captures it's light most effectively.

That's sad that they removed the original optics. It's happening all over the world as a cost cutting solution to operate Lighthouses. They could have simply installed a red replacement bulb (LED or otherwise) in the original position within the lens. It might have required alteration of the socket / bulb changer assembly, that's about all.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 07:15:31 PM »
I am using some 7 watt LED's and cpu heat pipe heatsinks work very well. Find them cheap on ebay. At 1 watt I doubt you will even need the fan!

Hi

I think the four tons was the weight of the complete optical system, ie. Fresnel lens and the drive mechanism. I have just taken delivery of ten 1W red LEDs the light output is phenomenal but they do need a heat sink, I killed the first one by trying to run it without one.

Brian

tanner0441

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 09:40:42 AM »
Hi

Good Idea. I have used heat pipes before. I bonded one to the top of a audio chip. It worked perfectly and a fraction of the size of a dam great block of aluminium that looks like cylinder head from a lawn mower..

Brian