Author Topic: wire  (Read 5667 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
wire
« on: February 10, 2015, 11:58:26 AM »
I am looking for a place to buy wire for my solar panels. Anyone have a good leads on buying some . 4-0 Aluminum  2-0 copper
I have about 575 ft from my panels to the power house. It will be in conduit. I thought someone might give me a direction and save me some time. I am in Idaho. Thanks 13
MntMnROY 13

gww

Re: wire
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 12:20:15 PM »
I looked on ebay to get a general ideal of price.  I ended up buying my 4/0 alum at the local lumberyard.

The could have ordered the copper but man the price was so high.  Except for the feed wire I used copper on everything else.  I used 4/0 welding cable from the battery to the inverter and don't feel this was to big.

I don't know if that is cheapest, what I did but at some point you have to get done and it was expediant shoping local.
gww

thirteen

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 02:55:01 PM »
Yes that almighty $$$ gets in the way a lot. There is an auction next week and there will be a bunch of welding stuff being sold. I am going to try and maybe get a good buy on leads. I hate going into sights they always want you to fill out their info. Or most won't even answer their mail for 2-3 days. I have to go to Spokane in two weeks and then I am going back to Wisconsin the 25th for my mom birthday. So I am searching for a good deal.  The distance seems to be the problem. Still 2 runs of 580 ft add up. Local would be nice.  13
MntMnROY 13

gww

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 06:28:06 PM »
I did close to that with running two arays over 200'.  Cost me about $1700, including the trenching but with 4/0 alum direct burial.  I believed when I priced 2/0 copper for the same run it was like 3 times the price.
gww

thirteen

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 07:07:12 PM »
That sound about right for price. I cannot trench because of the rock and small cliffs and it is to steep  for equipment.  I just have to deal with what I got. Mine will be in 2 in conduit. About 1 /3 of the pipe will be on top of the ground. I'll try and take a few pictures when I get that far. 13
MntMnROY 13

gww

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 08:04:06 PM »
t
I bet the pipe is more expensive then trenching. I think most here like pictures.
I know I do.
Good luck
gww

thirteen

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 01:06:50 AM »
I'll try and get some tomorrow. I've never tried to send them on the net.  Darn I may have to read the manual for the camera. 13
MntMnROY 13

thirteen

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 12:42:32 AM »
I found some wire 4/0 alu. local.  Yes the copper 2/0 is about 2.3 times more $$. I laughed when they said they would deliver it free within 35 miles. I asked if they had a 4 wheel drive pickup and the possible need of chains if it snows. They changed their minds. My 575 ft run and at 4/0 Alu is still giving me just under a  3% loss. I'll just have to use it that way. It will work. But I am in luck for my son just sent me an email telling me that I'll have 2 teenage boys for about 9 days the first of August. He just sent me plane information.  It sounds like I will need to have my wire by then and conduit ready to install. One is 15 the other is 13. This might be fun for me. HAHA!!! And they will not be able to run home. They live in Oklahoma. 13
MntMnROY 13

gww

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 09:07:46 AM »
The young lads may never want to visit you again.  Good way to start them learning though.
Good luck
gww

thirteen

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 05:36:48 PM »
They are used to city life and they will enjoy???? the sugar shack up the hill. No indoor bathroom yet. It will be one of their projects to finish the drain field and put the roof on. There mom and dad will be here about the second week they are. the small joys of being a crazy grandpa that lives in the middle of know where with no close neighbors. No cell phone service and no TV I do get two radio stations CW and Oldies. Limited internet. And they will learn to cook on an old wood cook stove or eat things cold. No microwave. 13
MntMnROY 13

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 05:42:44 PM »
This is what my aunt would call "character building"!

Good on ya.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 02:17:16 AM »
13  you're a tougher man than I. I wouldn't be able to tolerate having my grand kids or anyone's small children around me for more than an hour or 2 I don't think. and my grand kids are well behaved young ladies
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

thirteen

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 10:52:29 AM »
The trick is to keep them busy. I've had kids around me since I was 21 and not all them were my own. I have not had kids around me for the last three years. So I get to spoil my grand kids when they are around me. I had youth groups for a little over 35 years. I cannot remember not having 2-3 extra kids in my house.   August should be just right for them to split my winters wood and pull my wire up the mountain side for my solar panels. I will take them fishing for a couple of days. Right after they finish my roof.                13
MntMnROY 13

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 04:58:19 PM »
My nieces and nephews have visited every summer for 2 weeks. All 13 of them at one point until they got old enough to be working in the summer. My ammo bill for going to the range those 2 weeks was atrocious! Taught my nephews how to reload for me, my nieces think it is fun to prep the brass and make it shiny. Sadly they are all grown and scattered but 2 nephews still take a vacation and visit a week. Still head to the range for 3 days and expend large amounts of ammo...

I taught gun safety to all of them, and how to shoot. All have conceal carry permits to protect their starting families. Another 6 years and I will have grand nieces and nephews to teach! have 3 that are 1(2 of them) and 2 years old.

thirteen

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 09:30:01 PM »
Neither of these two have shot anything. And they will get their first lessons. I have an old single shot bolt action 22 and everyone of my kids and some grand kids have started with it. I was my dads for 40+ years. I like it that way they can only make a single mistake before they have to reload. Up here we walk around with at least one pistol at all times. We have a couple of cats and bears around. At berry picking time you carry something all the time. Most city kids do not get the pleasure and respect of gun handling. I love to teach hunters safety classes.  Helping them shoot their first deer or elk or bear is a treat for all to enjoy.  13
MntMnROY 13

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 04:24:10 PM »
My entire family hunts so it is normal for us. I start then with an air rifle at 6 years old. Teach them safety first and to never ever point it at something they do not intend to shoot. Work on that a year before they get to the single shot 22. They learn shotgun on the single shot 16 gauge I got when I was 14.

All have also learned work ethic on projects for the family. Be it building grandpa's new house to helping put up garages for other family members. Start them young and it will stick with them for life.

thirteen

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2015, 09:29:47 PM »
My first one was a single shot 410. I found a set of golf clubs at the dump and cleaned them up and traded it for the 410. 1960. My dad bought me my first box of shells and said after that you buy your own. That first box went quick but the second lasted 10 time longer. Funny how that works. He did the same on my pickup. I learned how to fix tires and run on bald ones. and I could put a set of chains on in minutes. It was a long winter. but very educational. I laugh about it now. One of the first things when my girls got driver license I would make them change their oil and change their tires and make them pay for 1/2 the insurance. I got to sit in the shade and watch the tire fun. Melisa works part time at a tire shop on weekends while she goes to college.  Keeps her out of trouble which she can get into. Family is great.  13
MntMnROY 13

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 09:03:21 AM »
13;
Reading all this brings back great memories!
AND reminds me of how low our dear meat stash is getting :(.
I was taught by our uncle back home, the same way, 1 shot at a time, which paid off in spades when I enlisted !
A visit to family to Michigan and we learned quickly how to "smell" a bear  :o and if you can smell them they can smell you . Spent better part of a day treed by a moma bear , just because her cub smelled  the scent of summer sausage on us.
A trip to Savannah and I'll be trying out Havoline chili later this year.
Great memories indeed!
Enjoy those grandkids! We only get to get ours once in a great while these days  :(
Cheers
Bruce S
PS>> Best of luck on the wire!

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

phil b

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 03:55:29 AM »
I don't have to worry about bear so much, just the wild cross bred dogs and longhorns after giving birth are bad tempered. The new kid on the block is wild pigs. They don't have a season on them but are encouraging anyone to hunt them even shooting them from a chopper!
Phil