Author Topic: seris sole panels  (Read 3238 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
seris sole panels
« on: February 15, 2015, 10:33:51 PM »
I tried to look up some more information on solar panels. I am putting up panels that will be wired in series three per series then to a combiner box then sent down to my power house to the charge controler. Outback Flex 80.  These will be 255w 8.4 a 30v  panels. I have never done this before so will the wiring need to be changed to a slightly heavier wire? I am trying get a higher voltage because of the distance I must go 575 ft. 4 panels tied together gets the voltage to high to control safely. 3 seems to work out better on paper. My inverter is a Magnum RD 3924. I thought I had better ask before I have magical music of frying wire?  13
MntMnROY 13

lifer

Re: seris sole panels
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 03:45:47 AM »
You won't have frying wires but voltage loss. If you already have the wires, look up for their electrical resistance per foot then multiply it with the total wires length and panels current (8.4A). Now you've got the voltage drop across the wires. Multiply it with panels current and you've got the power loss through wires. If you could live with that there's no wire changes required.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 12:03:13 PM »
How many series strings do you have in parallel? you will have 8.4 times the number of parallel strings to deal with so work out the volt drop for the total current and see if it is reasonable.

It is a long run so cable will be expensive so tolerating a bit more loss will likely be cost effective.

Somewhere at the back of my mind I am suspecting that not all of your strings will be in sun at the same time, if this is so then calculate it for the number of active strings at one time.

Flux

thirteen

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 01:21:40 PM »
Lifer: I will have 4-0 Aluminum I will have as a estimate 3 % loss. I have not got my wire yet. Price is $2.19 per foot 2-\ 4's + 1 gr= 3wire
they told me they would deliver  it and I only laughed. * miles of 4w drive road the 25 miles of gravel road then you hit the highway. They declined when I asked if they had chains.
Flux:  I will have three series strings in parallel.
 There will be a 4th added next year but it will be facing a different direction. I have a mountain saddle that gives me extra sunshine for about an 1 1/2 hrs during the winter months that is the direction it will face and be back about 190 ft West of the others and lower used for my work shed only. A different system.
The active panels at one time should be 2 sets at a time and I will see how this works and probably plan on adding another one at some time if needed. I am using 2 in conduit to protect the lines, I cannot bury them because of the rock and small cliffs. If needed I should be able to add another pair of wires if needed later.
 After they are up getting to my panels will be a problem during the winter. No good trail yet. I'll get these in and have to play with them several times to get the best results. Summer is no problem but there is a mountain during the winter I would like to take the top 900ft off.
Thanks for the info. 13
MntMnROY 13

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 04:54:51 PM »
You need a zip line and a winch at the top to hoist you up, gravity will bring you back down...

thirteen

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 09:04:17 PM »
I am looking at the wench that runs off a chainsaw to haul things up to the bluff. It will work but does have it's weight limit. I am not sure but it is around 1000 lbs. I will have about 15/20 trips up to the site. It works good for pulling elk, bear, deer, and a few trees up a ridge or out of a canyon so I am told. I would like to see one in action. But there is that $$ sign that seems to follow everything. It should all be free. It wouldn't be challenging if that was the case. I wonder how well zip lines work in icy conditions? 13
MntMnROY 13

phil b

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 03:44:24 AM »
13. you must on the back 13 acres  that.s over the ridge line. If you have good anchor point at the top with a good pulley, you should be able to haul about everything up there. if that's not a enough, put another pulley on the wood etc. you want to haul and a third one in tandem with the first on. If you can get ski rope there, it's cheap by buying the whole spool. The leftovers can be used to hold your well pump up.  A 3/4 HP rototiller can help move material too.
Phil

thirteen

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 11:03:26 AM »
Phil H either way I will end up with 1000 ft of rope. I'll look into ski rope. The closest place I have to anchor is a tree about another 100 ft up the hill. I do plan on using that. I will end up making a sled. The boat I was going to use is gone his son took it to the scrap yard for the aluminum. It was perfect for it had all of it's seats ripped out. They flipped it on the highway because of a broken axle on there trailer.  It will be 6 ft wide 10 ft long 12 in deep. Some things will hang over the sides.  13
MntMnROY 13