Author Topic: Generator output  (Read 2861 times)

Jason Wilkinson

Generator output
« on: April 09, 2015, 02:31:18 PM »
 Hi to all ,Ive a chinese gas generator DOMIYA  DM 6500 CXD engine runs fine one pull or 2 rev with the key, but no output.
  I've seen some guys on YOUTUBE show how to "flash" the alternator to get it to work,  i've tried that method ( using a hand drill pluged into the output of the alt and spinning it to excite or start the field coils)  and yes it does start to produce power  and will continue to do so as long as the engine is running, but the moment i turned the engine off ........ dead again 
   This alt is brushless,  capacitor is rated 300vac 42 uf  my test of the cap shows over 80 uf  could this be the reason why it won't self start ?
      Jason

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Generator output
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 05:02:18 PM »
What kind of loads are you trying to run? Have you tried plugging in a small common light bulb to get the unit to turn on. Some gensets wait for a load to be present to switch on.

I also have a Chinese genset that won't produce unless the engine speed is correct. That took me a while to figure out. It was running a little underspeed because of stale gas. With fresh gas it ran a little faster and suddenly begen to put out.

Jason Wilkinson

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 06:20:52 PM »
 hi dnix71  i've tried a small load , increase the rpm still nothing. I tried flashing without the capacitor still nothing ,replace the cap. flash and it comes to life looks like my only option is to strip it down, but i'm open to any options
 Thanks   Jason

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 07:06:29 PM »
According to Marathon it could be the cap, diode or surge suppressor. Your unit may not have a surge suppressor, but the cap has to excite within 5% of the rated voltage, so the cap might be shorting internally before it reaches a voltage high enough to run the genset. There will be diodes on your unit. Check those too.

http://www.marathonelectric.com/generators/docs/manuals/GPN012.pdf   PDF download.