Author Topic: The Spirit of Zubbly flies again  (Read 18722 times)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: The Spirit of Zubbly flies again
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2015, 05:16:50 PM »
Oh, sure, if the $$$'s were the only deciding factor, we'd all go solar today. 

MTFBWYA
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2015, 03:56:42 AM »
In defence of Wind turbines.

I have 3off Hugh Piggotts design, 12 footers.

Its winter here in rural Normandy France, so its grey, dim, wet, and mud mud every where!, week in week out.

We are only 50 minutes from the coast, so we get reasonable winds that keep us going and keep the batteries alive. No generator here as it defeats our philosophy of sustainable RE.

However, with good panels we still get 10%, approx., from our 8kW of PV installations. So I am re-calculating cost effectiveness on worse case scenario of 10%, so just another 22kW of PV to go until paradise ......... :)     
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
Re: The Spirit of Zubbly flies again - Hail Damage
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2016, 02:00:17 PM »
A heavy hail storm blew through last week.  Still finding the damage in the darnedest of places.
Crops destroyed for miles around.  The hail fell continuously for 15 minutes (not the typical rain-hail-rain kind of thing) and the size of the balls grew from marbles to golf balls... and remained between golf-ball size to ping-pong ball size for several minutes until returning to marble size for another 10 minutes.  My house was relatively well protected by a shelter belt of trees (yeah, that's what they are for!) but my garage window is still shattered and the exterior siding is punctured in 100 places.  The reason I'm writing is that there was also damage to my Spirit of Zubbly.

As you can see the trailing edges have a bunch of bites through them.  It was shut down during the storm so I'm hopeful that the leading edges aren't damaged.  It was breezy yesterday, so I started it up, and it does make more noise - not too much to be disturbing.  No vibrations to be felt through the tower... I may leave it up and not worry.

The other thing to fix was to replace the cups on the anemometer

Here's a picture to illustrate the severity of the hail.  After the storm, my wife and I drove around the neighbourhood to survey the damage.  Crops of barley, peas laid flat.  The kicker was the potato field where this was found.  The hail first scoured the earth covering the potatoes, then it PEELED THE POTATOES.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2016, 02:42:11 PM »
Our new potato-peeling hailstone-storming overlords are to be feared!  B^>

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2016, 06:33:47 PM »
Strange....spuds grow unground ? 
WILD in ALASKA

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2016, 08:17:02 PM »
Strange....spuds grow unground ? 

Beets, potatoes, radishes, peanuts, turnips, yam, carrots, garlic, onions.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2016, 10:31:23 PM »
Hiker,
No joke - The hail dug into the earth and did that to acres and acres of potato fields around here!
The wind also trashed the tops around enough to pry them up, making it worse.

www.sparweb.ca

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2016, 12:31:16 PM »
Must kill a lot of wildlife as well.....birds cats dogs ?
WILD in ALASKA