Author Topic: Phase Change [heating with solar]  (Read 12041 times)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Phase Change [heating with solar]
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2017, 11:10:33 AM »
George65
The candle stuff does just what I need it to do, keep the chill off. No fast burn needed merely nice slow heat. If I want bigger, I'll run to the hobby outlet and get the bigger 3-wick types you can all but cook on.
I agree a bigger wick would work better, we don't always get a complete burn. Since most of this stuff is free/cheap; it'll do until my veggie oil is filtered and we have enough to last through the coldest parts.
Biggest problem? Keeping the candles up high enough so the DOG does lick up the fuel.

This is what Toby looks like once he got caught.

Dumbest thing I did was stop veggie oil gathering and filtering.

At the time, I was getting $0.60/US gal for the filtered stuff.

I have the parts to build a drip heater, building these come easy, from my old ARMY days when we heated the GP-Medium tents with diesel heaters and a Jerry can.

Here's a link to the LEDs
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5V-2-5W-USB-Grow-Light-Indoor-Flowering-Vegs-Potted-Plants-Growth-LED-Lights-Lamp-For/32803159235.html
They're only 2.5 watts/ea  , and here's what two look like with a Mylar surrounding.

These mess with my eye sight, but the backs are slightly toasty so heat gained for plants; I have a touchless thermometer; I'll get a temp reading on these soon. They're supposed to run at 5V 1A but I have them on a 110Vac to 5Vdc 800mA adapters (makes life easier)

Here's the newest addition to our culinary plate  :) These are yellow tomatoes, I didn't have as many problems with aphids on these as I did the better boys. The heirloom reds didn't have ANY problems with bugs, so go figure.

Here's a recent harvest. The heirlooms are the bigger of the bunch. With frost always looming; we pick them yellow-ish and the Roma/cherry hybird ones green with white bottoms These were completely volunteers that came up close the one of the compost bins.

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

george65

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2017, 06:55:46 PM »

Thanks Bruce, I'll look those lights up. I didn't realise they were USB. Very economical!

Seeing them that colour reminds me of  couple of Hydroponic shops I have been into.

Started asking them things about different nutrients and they were talking about buds and heads some  levels.  Said I don't have buds or heads they just flower then fruit. Guy is confused and ask what I'm talking about. I say Tomatoes. The penny drops simultaneously and then I ask him, what are YOU talking about?  :0)
Then guy asks why I'd want to use nutrients and lights on tomatoes. I said because I like frigging tomatoes!

Similar thing happened in 2nd shop I went to.
I think growing Pot keeps these guys in business. Most of the other people in there didn't exactly look like they were into growing their own fruit or veggies either. Must have thrown them off having someone come in and actually wanting to grow something to eat not smoke.
Bloody stoners.

The fridge setup is working really well. The Bar light keeps it warmer than I would have thought in there and after only abut a week since I put the last seedlings in they are going nuts. Keeping the door shut helps keep the moisture humidity in too which seems to be doing them well.
I have been using a seaweed based hardware store type fertilizer which is supposed to be added every fortnight or so.  I'm breaking that down to 10% dose and adding it every time I water. Plants seem to be very happy with that.

I have not got any veg oil since I moved and was thinking of collecting at least an IBC's worth over summer and putting it up the back to settle.  Once I get the tractor and the lister set up,  I will be able to burn it again and If I want to do some winter heating it's there too.  Was thinking of putting a heater in the shed as I'm going to extend it and insulate it just to seal the air gaps if nothing else.
In the old days Mate and I would go out on a Sunday morning and collect an IBC full for Bio making.  Miss those collection runs and looking like 2 garbage men sitting at the swank caffe's having a bit of brekky half way through and the weekends of Brewing up huge Bio batches.
Was hard work but fun using all our DIY hatched together system from scrap that worked so well and made great Bio.  Man we made some Bio!

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2017, 08:58:36 AM »
Stoners  :o, yep get those looks too..
Gotta get 'em they live 1/2 the time; "munchies" tell 'em tomatoes are the bees knees when it comes to munchies and they'll hemp you all they can.

From testing different nutrients and learning, I've found a couple things to be most helpful. Epson salts at 1/2 the recommended dosage and coffee grounds that are buried in the coffee filters work for a good jolt for the plants too. 

Basil both [sweet and Thi] love growing in water borne containers. I have so many plants I'm now bringing in some for the office
On a stupid move note: Tomato and Kale do not like being in the same planting area. NOT sure why, will need to stop at Agri-extension or find out via search engines.

ALSO:: I went with the 2.5W size , but have ordered the 5W size this time. I want to check on the heat output of one light versus two. I'll get my touchless thermometer and get readings on the two LED setup soon.

george65

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2017, 05:26:07 PM »
Epson salts at 1/2 the recommended dosage and coffee grounds that are buried in the coffee filters work for a good jolt for the plants too. 

There are 2 raised garden beds here I planets in. Line of tomatoes in each. Only bed seemed to be doing OK, the other looked real yellow in the leaves and weren't coming on. I thought this may be a Magnesium deficiency so sprinkled a few pinches of epsom salts around each plant and watered it in.
They do seem to recommend a LOT of epsom salts as I was reading on the box but I'm not that game.

A few days later I got the horse manure I had collected from the local Equine park a month or so back and put it through the chipper.
Works brilliant! Instead of getting a clump of straw and then sawdust than a chunk of horse Hockey, it all get blended up into a nice, fine , even powder that's easy to spread around.  I put that on both tomato beds, one which also has corn and beetroot and everything seems to be coming on real well. The sickly tomatoes have gone dark green and are taking off inside of a week. Don't know if it were the salts, the manure or both and don't really care. The end result is great and that's all that matters.

I want to put a tarp in the back of the ute and go down and fill it up with the manure. I'll put it all through the chipper which actually taxes it a lot more than most of the branches I put through it, and make a heap of powder I can put on all the garden beds and lawn.

I think I over did it with the light in the fridge. Went and looked yesterday and my Bigger plants looked like they had burnt off. Don't know If I had the light too close or it was a lack of water. Getting pretty bumed with this.  Been growing Tomatoes since a kid and considered myself bit of a dab hand at them and lets face it, they take no skill to grow but I must have planted 50 and got 10 this season.  Wife is dragging me away on a " Holiday" I do NOT want to go on one bit and am going to be pissed off the whole goddamn time so I expect when I get back I'll have nothing at all because god forbid daughter should water anything for me.

I have a heap of those watering timers and had I had notice of this
holiday" I might have tried to work the things out but they seem complicated just to make them turn the water on and off manually let alone set the damn things.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2017, 06:54:43 PM »
Make sure you wash the chipper out very very well! Manure is corrosive!

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2017, 09:00:10 AM »
Since winter has arrived here, I've been keeping a close eye on the heated areas .
The tomato plants seem to know it's cold out there, the vines have stopped producing flowers.
I'm now down to picking only a few tomatoes now, with the possibility that I might forget to either plug in the LED lights or re-fill the oil based heaters; I pick them green but only once they've begun to turn white on the bottoms.

Here's one of the tasty little ones.
They have a ton of taste and meat inside, I don't hurry the ripening process, merely sit it and the other 4-5 on a east-side window sill.

George65
I took a heat reading of those LED grow lights. pointed right at one of the sides where the light and Aluminum bases shows 100F, with the little cooling fan not running.

Cheers
Bruce S

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2017, 06:24:35 PM »
I'm now down to picking only a few tomatoes now, with the possibility that I might forget to either plug in the LED lights or re-fill the oil based heaters; I pick them green but only once they've begun to turn white on the bottoms.
Here's one of the tasty little ones.
They have a ton of taste and meat inside, I don't hurry the ripening process, merely sit it and the other 4-5 on a east-side window sill.
When my tomato plants get to that stage, I cut them off at ground level and hang them up-side-down, with the tomatoes still attached, in a warmish place and they will ripen on the vine.
They seem to be less prone to rot if ripened like that.
Any green ones left over go to make green tomato chutney with home grown apples, onions and chilli (plus a few spices).

Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

george65

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2017, 12:54:16 AM »

How are the heaters going? have you measured the in/ out temps to see what effect they are having?
I'd like to know about how many you are running in what size area etc and your thoughts on them.  Why don't you  put the lights on a timer or sensor.
I got in trouble for not having the Xmas lights on when the Mrs came home. Got one of those day/ night sensors, put it in a little box spliced in the middle of a lead and as soon as it starts to get dark, on they come. I remember to put them on without fail now!

Pleased to say between the Daughter and the nephew who volunteer himself to look after the watering, it all survived... even some of the trays with seedlings he filled and were swamped.

Tomatoes are not going great. OK, but not great. The ones in the 2nd bed are growing at a very slow rate for some reason. Bit baffled but I'm thinking that the trees are robbing the soil of all nutrition and goodness.  Already given one of them the sword, now I'm eyeing off some nearby hedge type plants  wondering about them?  Just weird 2 garden beds 2 feet away from one another are producing such different results. I'll load on some more powered manure and epsom salts and see how that goes.  Put some carrots in the same bed so see how they fare as well.

My potted tomato I bought from the other place seems to be dying for reasons I can't figure.  Got a heap of plants ATM but I'm disappointed I'm loosing that one. All the half grown fruit is ripening so I'll have some for the early Christmas lunch this weekend.
beetroot has got huge. Looking forward to enjoying that as well!

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2017, 08:55:50 AM »
When my tomato plants get to that stage, I cut them off at ground level and hang them up-side-down, with the tomatoes still attached, in a warmish place and they will ripen on the vine.
They seem to be less prone to rot if ripened like that.
Any green ones left over go to make green tomato chutney with home grown apples, onions and chilli (plus a few spices).
I hadn't though of cutting the vines . Good one to try.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2017, 09:45:48 AM »
george65;
I do have the lights on a timer. On a 06:00 off at 19:00. I found a real nice easy one at a thrift store for $2USD, whereas at a bigbox store they normally go for $10USD.

I got worried last night due to the extreme cold front moving in from Canada got to -8C, so I lit up 6 of these. I am glad it's finally here, misquotes and fruit flies are a pain in my neck. I've found the larger wicks burn faster, but also hotter.
The inside got down to 10C which ain't good for the plants.

Your potted one, can you pull in out of the pot and look at the roots? I'm betting it's smothering down there.  Give it a good rinse if it's got an off smell, fresh rain water then re-pot. Had a 2-year old basil plant do the same, I pulled it out of the pot and stunk up the place with the rotting roots. It did not survive.

I'm still waiting for the veggie oil to settle out, I'm going to merely drop a hurricane lantern wick in one to see if that's a better way to go. This candle burning is a nice way to use up rancid shortening , but ,,, I must be getting old or something.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2017, 11:31:01 AM »
George65;
I forgot, to also say. If you have the tomato plant(s) around the Kale, move them . The pretty pics I had of the indoor yellow tomato plant? The very same container had the Kale that got chomped on by the White Moth worms. I was able to get one small fruit off the plant until it simply died.

Seems tomato plants and Kale don't play nice together according to the plant scientists over at our daughter's university.
Really nice people , a bit more paranoid than I am about hydroponic setups, but since they're giving me free advice.  ;D.

Cheers
Bruce S

george65

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2017, 01:09:34 AM »

10oC don't sound too bad to me. I had 3 plants survive 2 years and it sure would have got well below 10oC for at least a couple of months at night. Not saying they liked it but they did survive it.

I'll have a look at the roots of that plant. Not hard to take it out and re-potting it might be worthwhile. Thanks for the tip!

I went up the garden this morning to see how things were doing and check on the nice tomato i was going to pick for lunch tomorrow.
Some mongeral thing has eaten it!
 I don't know what it was , fruit is still half there but whatever ate it sort of gutted it and left a lot of the skin there and took the pulp out. Don't think it was a rabbit but may have been a lizzard. Really annoyed!  Might have to put some sort of trap up there and see what I come up with.
Life in the semi rural area is not working out garden wise how I hoped!

As for your wick in the oil, I tried that years ago and found the same as some other people, for whatever reason the oil does not wick well and just burns the wick down. by all means give it a go though, not much to loose and I'd be interested to see if you find the same thing.  Funny how wax can do it but oil can't.

I also tried some steel wool wicks and that as a bust. Maybe some strands of cotton rag twisted together might work?

For oil, I think your best bet may be a mini updraught burner. Many people call them drip feed burners and that's how they run them but they work just fine as batch burners with the chambers filled with oil and lit. They will burn till the fuel runs out and you can top them up if you want. Sounds like even if you had one doing 1-2KW you would heat your greenhouse just fine.  If you had a pot with say 2- 4L capacity, you could go all night without problem.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2018, 04:07:09 PM »
It has been a while since I last posted about the Greenhouse.

The phase change wasn't nearly as helpful as some of the other ideas.

My candles held their own during our "normal" winter weather, but once it got to -4F (-20C) was just too much for them, I had 6 of the tuna can sized going and even those weren't keeping the chill away.

Heating with cleaned oil has worked out to the best. I used a simple tin can oil heater found all over the place on U-tube.
Instead of just having it laying around, I put it inside of a cracked cast iron pot and had it sit inside of a dutch oven full of water. Then a copper tube feeding it with a 1/2gal of oil and used a spigot to slow down the oil drip.

Here's the last of the tomatoes that we harvested

You even see some of the damage in the middle of the one.
There are no new flowers on it, but the plant is surviving, so we'll see how it goes.

Cheers
Bruce S